Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercards!! Grr.....

12 Jun 2007 Kirsten :) said

Default_avatar
I applied for a Wizard Clear Advantage Master Card.... I have no Credit card history or debts, no loans, have plenty of savings, earn great money and i'm not eligable... what a joke!!!

All i can recommend to everyone is dont keep your hopes up about getting one, cause they are stupid when it comes to their application process...

Anyone else in the same boat as me???

Any other options for debit/credit cards that have no/low fees etc...

Thanks
  • 13 Jun 2007 Scott_21 said

Default_avatar

thats unlucky, cause i got issued with one pretty easily. i think the issue might of been thta you have had no loans, stupid as that sounds but they like to see if your good at paying back stuff.

• 13 Jun 2007 Erin in UK said

Default_avatar

I just applied for one via the Commonwealth Bank website and got it straight away. I would recommend going through the bank that you bank with. They can see your savings history….its not ideal but you have to start somewhere!

• 13 Jun 2007 Sylviana said

Default_avatar

Hi Kirsten,

I have just been rejected by Wizard as well. I have no loans, and earn great money. I have 4 credit cards with limits totalling around $12,000, but I always paid them in full every month.

I am a bit dissapointed with their decision. I have never been rejected for a credit card application since I started full time work 5 years ago. I really don’t understand how they assess the application.

The reason why I applied for Wizard is because they do not charge anything for overseas transactions. However, since I am leaving for Europe in two weeks time, I have no other choice rather than using my existing credit cards.

• 13 Jun 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

do they not tell you why you were declined? maybe its just a US thing, but they have to tell us why… i just found this interesting… i got declined too though, but for good reasons haha

• 13 Jun 2007 Cat_in_Canada said

Default_avatar

I can’t speak to Australian or American banks, only my own Canadian experience.

I would imagine that the first credit cards a person is eligible for are the high-interest and/or high-fee cards. My Visa has no monthly fees, but the interest is currently 19.5%. When I first applied, they gave me a limit of only $500. Better cards with no features aren’t available until you’ve proved yourself to be a safe risk.

I don’t know much about being declined, seeing as I’ve only applied for 1 card, and I was not denied.

• 13 Jun 2007 Kirsten :) said

Default_avatar

I was pretty annoyed cause i currently have a credit card with $1500 limit and it has $0 on it… and i have 2 savings accounts with plenty of money in them…

I think the whole process is a joke… its an automated system, run through a computer… not done by the person over the phone… therefore the computer doesnt take into account the fact that u have money in other accounts…

It also doesnt tell you why you were declined which is rubbish…. we should have a right to know why we were not approved… The guy on the phone just kept saying “I cant give you a reason”, cause the computer doesnt even tell them why… it just comes up with approved or declined…

• 15 Jun 2007 smithyana said

Default_avatar

I’ve just been referred by Wizard… which is just a hop skip and a jump from being declined i think. They have to tell you why, and if they don’t, ask for a supervisor to tell you the reason. Sometimes it is just a computer glitch and a person can actually override the computers’ decision. I work in furniture retail, and we do finance for our customers. Its worth finding out.. you may be able to change the outcome. I’ve got plenty of credit elsewhere, but wizard is the only one with no fees, and has the best foreign exchange rate.

• 18 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

keep in mind before you go on holiday, is that you may want to call the credit card company to inform them you’re going away, so that they don’t think the card has been stolen and cut you off.

Nothing worse than wanting to buy that one souveneir in Paris and not being able to.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

• 18 Jul 2007 Toasty said

Default_avatar

Hey ur not the only one who’s been declined for the wizard credit card. My mate and I also were declined even though we have good credit history and are paid well. They also wouldn’t give us a reason why. Oh well too bad for them.

Just though id let you know about another card the earth+ credit card www.earth.com.au – Its got only 0.8% currency conversion fees, just as good as the wizard card. Also if u use Westpac’s partner banks overseas u pay nothing for atm fees. I applied for this and had no trouble getting it with a $3000 limit!

• 18 Jul 2007 Maybs said

Default_avatar

My United credit union (WA based) only charges $1/month fee to use a visa debit card, and nothing for withdrawals/purchases.

Perhaps set up a savings account with a credit union in your area and get a visa debit card attached to that?

• 18 Jul 2007 Sadie said

Default_avatar

Just putting in my 2 cents worth, i found the application process easy. . . i got approved in about a minute so don’t be put off from applying 4 this card. if u are looking 4 the best card, this is it. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 Jul 2007 Pazzar said

Default_avatar

I applied with Wizard, but I would never do it again. I didn’t get a reply after the 10 days so I called them. They said that they couldn’t read my license, and since the time was now overdue, they cant do anything about it. So now I’m in Europe relying solely on my savings account, with very little back up money

• 23 Jul 2007 Erin_84 said

Default_avatar

That sucks guys.

I applied and got a Wizard one with $1500 on it…even though I already have about $5000 owing over my two other credit cards. I thought I was sure to get denied, but tried anyway cos I needed back up money. My Mum wanted one too and she got it. I ended up applying for another one just in case (cos it was easier then geting them to raise the limit) and I got denied. But just figure that is because I already had one.

I would say just try again, or give them a call and plead.
    Good luck.

• 9 Sep 2007 raiderette said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,

Just curious for those who got knocked back – did you use the online application or call them direct? Because I tried the online application and got knocked back. It really bugged me so I ended up calling them because I was curious if the knock back would be shown on my credit history. The lady I spoke to was really nice and said she would have a look to see why I was denied. She couldn’t work it out, but ended up running the application through again for me, re-entering things for me, and as of today I’ve been approved (received the card in the mail this morning). So, my tip is call and apply over the phone and give them as much info as you possibly can, because the lady told me that they take into consideration everything – not just your income.
    Also, make sure you fill out the ID Reference form BEFORE you put any of your own money on to it, otherwise they will block your account (because they don’t quite know who you are yet!).

Good luck!

• 10 Sep 2007 lilly84 said

Default_avatar

unfortunately not so great credit is better than no credit at all- even if you have cards, if you haven’t used them in a while that doesn’t look good either, or if you transfer a lot of other balances. capitol one is a good starter card and even has pretty decent apr. I got one at 18 w/ no credit and the apr was about 14%. you may check that out. good luck.

• 21 Oct 2007 kscott said

Default_avatar

I just applied online as well and got rejected too! Then i rang up to ask why and they said there was “no one reason.. it is to do with your overall application”. I said I’m a student but I make good money still, I have a job lined up for next year have a lot of savings, never had a credit card but pay my phone bill off regularly and still live at home so i dont have to pay rent/mortgage fees. To me i would be an ideal person as I have no debt or fees to pay but i pleaded because it is the best overseas card and I got nothing.. she just said sorry you can apply again in 3 months when you situation changes.. I’m like in 3 months i’ll be overseas nearly coming home!!

So now i’m pissed off because I have a Westpac account and it seems their mastercard debit is the worst right? but i dont know if i can be bothered trying to set up a whole nother account in a credit union / other bank.. because what if i do all that and then get denied again!! I don’t want to have a lot of denys because it comes up on your credit rating Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

sorry for the rant, just not happy I couldnt get the great wizard deal everyone on this site is raving about!!

• 21 Oct 2007 bekahjtb said

Default_avatar

Try for an Aussie home loans one, I got approved instantly. But I do have a good credit rating. Its my understanding that you have to be really dodgy to get a bad credit rating.

• 21 Oct 2007 bekahjtb said

Default_avatar

Just applied for one out of curiosity, and it said that they will contact me in 7-10 days, what does that mean? Is that bad? Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 22 Oct 2007 knights988 said

Default_avatar

hay kscott

If you can get your parents to sign up for it, they can get a card in your name when signing up for it.

cheers

• 22 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

My dad got a card and got me a second card. I’m currently ‘earning’ scholarship money for research, which is tax free and therefore doesn’t count as an income to the banks (according to them I earn $200 a week!).

The extra advantage of having a parent (or friend or relative) get the primary card means the credit limit is likely to be a lot higher than if you do it on your own.

My parents recently went overseas and were glad I’d convinced dad to get the card Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion