Community_discussions_small  

Question

LA to the Bay - June 2013

3 Mar 2013 mattynz asked

mattynz

Hey all,

Is anyone planning on the above trip from 5th to the 15th June? I'll be in the States for work so thought I'd see a few places and meet some people before I go back! Look forward to hearing from anyone :)

Cheers
Matt

• 5 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi, I booked on this tour today! You’re the only other person I’ve found thus far! :-)

• 5 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Hi nice to meet you, glad to see that someone is going! I haven’t booked yet, but I think I will as this is really the only time I can go… Have you been on one of these things before? Looks a lot of fun!

• 5 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Nice to meet you as well. Go for it! The reviews look great and it covers quite a few places. Should be a good way to meet new people. I’ve never been on one of these before and I’m going solo, so it’s pretty nerve-wracking! Have you done one before?

• 5 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Nope, this will be my first time – will be traveling solo as well! Yeah from the reviews it sounds like these tours are fairly well organised and that they look after you.. Well, I had better hurry and make my mind up! It’s nice to be able to talk to someone else who’s going – makes the whole thing seem a little less daunting! :)

• 6 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Yeah I hope so :) It definitely does, so now you have to come so I have someone I know beforehand haha! I’m surprised we’re the only ones to pop up here so far. Do you travel often?

• 6 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

ALL BOOKED!!! Now we both know someone :) I don’t travel that often, but have seen a few places over the years – Italy, Thailand, Australia, USA once before. How about you? You’re so lucky in the UK as you’re just next door to so many amazing places. Not like NZ… miles away from everything! Are you arriving earlier before the tour? I might plan to get to LA a day or two before. Can’t wait!

• 7 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

WAHAY! Fab! Wow, you have travelled to great places! Not really, I have been to Spain many times, Italy once (starting in Sicily and worked upwards), Greece lots of times, Turkey, Tunisia, Florida (but for DisneyWorld when I was 10/11, so that doesn’t count!), Iceland, and then places close by like Wales and Scotland. I am lucky to be nextdoor to great places, I never even thought about that problem for NZ! I hear it’s beautiful though, I really hope to go in the next few years. Yes I’m flying in on the 3rd June, I arrive around 6pm I think! So I’ll have two nights and a full day in which to explore a little, recover from flying, and buy anything I don’t pack (like shampoo, enemy of the 20kg allowance and my back!). If you get there before we could meet up and take a look around? I’ll be staying at the gateway hotel probably (which looks rather nice btw). I expect there will be others there too!

• 7 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Not really? You’ve travelled heaps! And to some nice places too… Yeah I must admit, NZ is a pretty sweet place and to be honest, it’s nice to be hidden away from all of the madness out there! That would awesome to meet up before :) I think I’ll do the same – get there on the 3rd so to have a full day in between to wake up and stock up! Would be cool to explore a bit of LA and yes, I’m sure we won’t be the only ones! The gateway hotel does look nice indeed – think I’ll book. I’m getting excited now!

• 7 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Yeeeeeah, I realised after I’d sent it that it actually is a lot of places. My bad haha! I hear such great and amazing things about NZ, I can’t wait to go someday. Awesome! Well we can meet in the lobby or something if you’re in the same hotel, if not we can meet elsewhere and find somewhere to stock up and then explore! I am too :) I have my head stuck in lots of planning at the moment, mainly with things to take (or not to, as the case may be!). I’m going on a tour in Canada 10 days afterwards with TrekAmerica so I need to take warm stuff too, and a sleeping bag!

• 8 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Well well, you are going on quite the adventure aren’t you! Sounds great, I’m sure you’ll have an awesome time :) After the tour I’m heading up to Seattle (from San Francisco) and then on to Olympia for a conference. I have no idea how I’ll stay awake for it, or even whether I’ll be able retain anything after the tour! It’s actually the main reason I’m even going to the States though, so should really make an effort! I was actually weighing up between Contiki and Trek America for this trip. They both look good but Contiki’s dates just suited better. Are you camping or doing the BLT/budget lodging thing? Watch out for the bears! ;)

• 8 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Oops… just noticed that you had mentioned a sleeping bag, so I’ll take from that you’re camping!

• 8 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Haha yes I am :) Ooh that’s strange, that’s what I’m doing as my next tour starts in Seattle. Although I want to stay a couple more days in SF and then go up by train, perhaps stopping in a couple of places for a night like Portland, and then I want a couple of days in Seattle before my next tour! Perhaps you could record the conference on a microphone thing and then listen later when you’ve come back down to earth from your amazing trip!? Yeah both contiki and trek looked good to me, my trip advisor said I seemed like a Contiki kind of person (40ish people, trek is about 10-16), but in the end I ended up signing up for both anyway lol. Haha yes I’m camping, doing the Canadian road trip and camping for 25 days! I haven’t camped in year so it’l be interesting but I can sleep anywhere so I’ll be just fine roughing it in canada! :P Yeah, dad said as long as I can run faster than the other campers from the bears I will be ok! haha :)
    Random question, but have you thought at all about visiting Alcatraz whilst in SF? I’m hoping some others may want to go (it lasts 2.5hrs approx) for a morning but you have to book in advance so it’s difficult to know! I thought it might be an interesting place to see.

• 9 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Hey Gemma :) wow, crazy.. what are the odds of that!? I’m not actually staying in Seattle, just flying there then hopping straight on a shuttle out to the middle of nowhere (love the microphone idea BTW ;)). I would definitely recommend stopping in Portland if you’re going that way – it’s a really cool city. I did that/went there about 3 years ago and stayed for a few days. As it turned out they had the Oregon Brewers Festival on around that time, so being a kiwi I was naturally quite happy with that! They have this huge market there too where you can buy almost anything. Good idea about Alcatraz, that would be interesting.. I completely forgot that was in SF! I was planning on flying up to Seattle on Sat 15th in the afternoon straight after the tour, but could possibly stay an extra day there and fly out on the Sunday instead.. it might actually be less of mad rush for me. Maybe we could look to do that on the Saturday morning then explore a bit more in the arvo? True, it’s difficult at this stage to know who else would want to come. I’m sure people would though. Where the &#@% is everyone!!?? At this rate we’ll have the entire bus to ourselves!

• 12 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi Matt! Sorry it’s been a few days since my last message, I’ve been busy having interviews and being at work! I have one of those microphone things for lectures and they don’t cost a lot :) Oh really? I don’t know much about Portland so it’s good to know it’s a nice place to go, I will definitely go there now, thanks :)
    I think you would have trouble getting a flight out on the saturday anyway as I think the tour finishes at about 5 or 6pm, so it would be better for you to go the next day really!! So yeah we could go to alcatraz one of those days! There are actually night tours as well, but I don’t know how much they are! Will be great to see I think :) Hahaha I know!!!! This tour is for like 40 people so there have to be others out there!!! Maybe they are just observing our conversation!

• 14 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Hi Gemma! No worries, I’ve had a busy week myself :) Interviews for a job? Oh, really? I just checked the email I received from Contiki when I booked, and it says that the tour end at 11am on the Saturday in SF.. Have you been told that it’s later? Hmm I’m not sure what I should do.. will have a think and keep you posted :) Yeah, I’m pretty sure they would cancel the trip before it came to that! So how’s it going over in wintery England atm? I have a friend living in London – she’s always complaining about the cold around this time of year!

• 14 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

:) Nope, interviews for scholarships. I’m doing my masters degree in september and need someone to trust in me and pay for it!! Ah yes, sorry, I think I must be getting mixed up with my other tour. My apologies!! Yes I think it’s guaranteed to go anyway, but not full yet! :) Ugh, I hate winter. It’s snowing and cold here at the moment, which sucks. But we’ve had a few spring-like days which is GREAT :) Isn’t it your summer at the moment?

• 14 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Ahhhh I see. Nice, what are you studying? Good luck :) All good, just wanted to make sure I had the right info! Was starting to wonder for a minute whether we are actually on the same tour of if I’m going nuts! That’s cool, I’ll figure out what I’m doing and let you know from there if we want to plan the Alcatraz thing :) Sounds cold! Indeed it is, though it’s a mixed bag half the time!

• 17 Mar 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Hi guys, great to see some chat flowing – another one for the bus here! Booked my tour a couple of days ago but haven’t sussed any flights yet. Will probably be flying into LA on the 3rd and keen to hang around SF for a couple of days after to have a good look around. So if anyone has any ideas or things they would like to do, hit me up!
    Lance

• 17 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hello Lance!!! Yay another person :-) Welcome! I’m Gemma. If you fly in on the 3rd myself and Matt will be there too (and I’m sure plenty of others eventually), so we can go out together and get anything we need and take a look around :) I’m also planning on staying a couple of days after the tour ends to explore further. I’d like to do alcatraz, maybe even at night, but besides that I haven’t thought of anything yet :)

In reply to Matt: I graduated in July in Geology with Physical Geography, and in September I’m studying my masters in Applied Structural Geology with Geophysics :) haha it is cold, and I wanted to clean my car today on my one day off, but of course it’s tipping it down out there!!

• 19 Mar 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Dear guys,
    Very nice to meet you all. I’ve just booked into this trip as well… So happy, that I’m not alone. I’m travelling solo, was so hesitant about booking this trip, cause all my friends didn’t want to go to USA and I’m in love twith NY, so probably I will like Los Angeles too.
    I’m going to stay 2 days before the trip in Los Angeles (DEFINITELY would like to make UNIVERSAL STUDIO), it will be awesome if we all can meet up. When everyone is coming? And I will stay 1 extra night in San Francisco.

I’m very excited about the trip. So cool.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.