Community_discussions_small  

Question

LA to the Bay - June 2013

3 Mar 2013 mattynz asked

mattynz

Hey all,

Is anyone planning on the above trip from 5th to the 15th June? I'll be in the States for work so thought I'd see a few places and meet some people before I go back! Look forward to hearing from anyone :)

Cheers
Matt

• 19 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi Juliana! Woo people are coming out of the woodwork now :) Nice to see another girl, too :) Don’t worry about travelling solo, I am too, and I’ve never travelled alone. I’m arriving on the 3rd, as you may have read, but it’s in the evening. I wish I could go to UNIVERSAL Studios too but I doubt I will have time :/ I’m also staying another couple of nights in SF after so that’s cool :D

• 19 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Are you guys staying at the gateway hotel on the 3rd or somewhere else closer to the action? x

• 20 Mar 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Hello Juliana! I was a little worried about going solo too, its early days so far but I would imagine there will be a few of us.
    Finally took the jump and booked my flights, I’m in late on the 3rd and out late on the 17th. So hopefully that leaves enough time to see a bit of SF. Alcatraz is a bit of a must do apparently so I’m up for that – a night tour sounds cool.
    Gemma: re hotels, I haven’t booked anything yet. Are you talking about the Sheraton Gateway at the airport? It looks really nice, and easy being so close to LAX. What did you think about the hotel that the tour starts from? I can’t remember where it was now and can’t seem to find it in any emails.

• 20 Mar 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Hi, absolutely right and I guess we won’t regret about this in future.
    I know that the tour starts in Los Angeles in Hotel Double Tree by Hilton. But I’m looking at other options for staying 2 extra nights, closer to the center and Hollywood (walk of fame and Universal Studios)… As I understood Double Tree is very far from all activities.

Juliana

• 20 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

I’m glad someone else wants to do Alcatraz!! We have to book before we go apparently, otherwise it’s all booked up. When I said Gateway, it’s what they call the hotels where we meet the group at, so I suspect it’s the Hotel Double Tree? I don’t know if I have the right hotel but it’s $264 per night for one person in a room (seems like cheapest is a king sized bed). That is so steep :/

• 20 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

I don’t know if you guys are interested as well but Juliana linked me to this hostel http://www.hostels.com/hostels/los-angeles/usa-hostels-hollywood/824?dateFrom=2+Jun+2013&dateTo=5+Jun+2013&guestCount=2#anchor=facilities&propertyAnchor=p824 which seems to be about $44 a night :) Much more decent. Only downside is that a good nights sleep is unlikely with it being a lively hostel!

• 24 Mar 2013 mattynz said

mattynz

Hi all, and hi to Lance and Juliana :)

Bad news I’m afraid guys…… there has been a change of circumstances at my end meaning I’ll no longer be able to travel to the US around the time of this tour. Unfortunately I’ve had no choice but to cancel, which is a real bugger as you all seem great and I’m sure it would have been an amazing trip. I hope you all have a great time :)

Gemma – if you’re ever over in NZ feel free to get in touch. Likewise if I’m in the UK I’ll give you a shout.

All the best,
    Matt

• 25 Mar 2013 Nikcii said

Nikcii

Hi guys, Im Nicole!
    Ive booked to the the Western Highlights tour on June 5th with my partner, so will finish up in Vegas :D We fly in on June 2nd to get abit of sightseeing in around LA! So excited for the trip and looking forward to meeting everyone :)

• 25 Mar 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Hi Nicole. Look forward to meeting you both!

Matt, gutted mate, was looking forward to having another Cantab on the trip! Hopefully you get a chance in the not to distant future for a bit of a holiday.

Gemma & Juliana: I gotcha now. The gateway hotel is a wee way away – 120 South Los Angeles Street (confirmed with Contiki this afternoon) – about 30-40min to Hollywood Boulevard via the subway. I think for convenience I will just book there. I had a look on a few different websites (Expedia, hotels.com, Google Hotel Finder etc) and the cheapest I have seen is $320 for both nights on olotels.com

• 25 Mar 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Hi Nicole,
    Nice to meet you. I’m also arriving on 2nd of June. Do you have any idea where to stay in LA?

Nikcii

Just reading through some of the comments and I have some advise regarding some of the hotels :) I did LA to the Bay in 2011 and I have stayed in LA before at the USA hostel and at the Double tree Hotel for Contiki (was called the Kyoto I think about 2 years ago).
    It was a nice hotel and the beds are absolutely fantastic, but it is quite far away from any sights. The USA Hotsel is a great place and 5 minutes walk from the Chinese Theatre/Kodak Theatre etc. They have the option of private rooms which just over $100 I think. I stayed in a 8 bedroom dorm there and it wasnt too bad noise wise. It all depends on who may be in your room at the time. The less people in the room, they quieter I find :) But they have regular activity options like BBQ nights and Karaoke, organise limo pub crawls and walks to the Hollywood sign (well as close as you can get without getting busted) which were all good fun :)
    Hope this helps :)

Nikcii

Hi Juliana,
    Nice to meet you too. Im choosing between the USA Hostel or the Magic Castle for 2 nights just to be close to the main attractions. I’ve just been looking on trip advisor for hotels close to the Hollywood strip, which has been very helpful. Then the day before the tour, we are moving to the hotel arranged through contiki which is the Double Tree Hotel :)

• 26 Mar 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Dear Nicole,
    Thank you so much. I also was thinking to stay 2 nights in Hollywood and for 1 night to arrive in our Double tree. Do you know is it possible to arrange a cab from USA hostel? Also what tips can you give on LA to the bay trip. I guess you liked the first part of trip from LA to Las Vegas more:)

• 26 Mar 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi guys. Matt, absolutely gutted that you will no longer be joining us!! Nice speaking to you though, and yes I will be in contact if I come to NZ soon, and you feel free to do the same if you travel here :)

I’m unsure on where to stay on the night of the 3rd, but for convenience I may just stay at the double tree. Also if others are there, like you Lance, we can just go to hollywood boulevard together anyway. I am meeting with the travel advisor who booked my trip this weekend so I may ask her for her advice on this!!

Also, nice to meet you Nicole :)

• 27 Mar 2013 Nikcii said

Nikcii

Hi Gemma, nice to meet you too :)
    Juliana, the hostel staff might be able to arrange a taxi for you. Otherwise the hollywood blvd is 100m metres from the hostel, so you might be able to flag one down from there.
    Haha yes I did enjoy the first half of the trip. Loved every place we went to, so I decided to take my boyfriend to see them as well this time, and since it his first big holiday away I thought he would enjoy doing a contiki tour as much as I did :) Just a quick taste before we head up to Canada.
    Some tips? All the activities are definately worth doing! Personal favourites were the hot air balloon, the helicopter ride over the canyon, the Vegas limo and show and going to Sea world in San Diego :) I also did the Napa Valley tour in San Fran which was great.
    Also, prepare for some early morning departures, especially on the 5th, the day we leave! Im not sure if they still do this but they have a pre depature meeting the day before, so on the 4th, at the hotel to fill out some paper work and to meet your TM and most of your group :)

• 4 Apr 2013 Nadiah said

Nadiah

Hello, I’m Nadiah! Nice to meet all of you here :)

I’ve just signed up for the trip and I’m super stoked! I’m from Singapore and it’s gonna be my first time in the US this Summer. I’m arriving in LA tentatively on 4th June. So gutted that I won’t be able to venture around LA much but if you guys are going to Hollywood Boulevard on that day, I’d love to join you! I am also looking at extending my stay at SF.

• 6 Apr 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

I hope they do a pre departure meeting the day before like they used to, as I’ll probably be half asleep at half past 7 on the start day and won’t be able to remember names haha! Thanks for the tips of the optional activities. I definitely want to do all of those. Is it a choice between the zoo and sea world at SD? I think I read that a few weeks back. If that’s the case I don’t know which one I’d like better!!

Hi Nadiah!! It seems like everyone is pretty busy like me lately so the feed is a little slow, but welcome :) Of course you can join us, and if you extend your stay at SF we can hang out there too. It’s only 8 weeks away now! (just about). Very exciting :)

• 7 Apr 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Hello Nadiah,
    Nice to meet you. Yes, our feed is very little I guess it’s because 2 months left…and closer to the trip, there will be more people and we can decide where to meet each others on 4th June. My personal mail – uliyanaarif@gmail.com. I answer there faster :)

Juliana

• 23 Apr 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi guys! I was thinking of booking Alcatraz soon (you have to book in advance otherwise it’s booked up!) and wondered if anybody else wants to go as well so we can pick a day together? I’m thinking the night tour looks the best. It’s $37 and lasts 2.5 hrs approx. Anybody else interested?
    Only about 6 weeks now guys!!! x

• 24 Apr 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

Hi guys, I’m Michael I’ve just booked (last minute style) on the 5th June Wild Western tour which I think joins/follows the first part of the LA bay one until we split at San Francisco. I fly into LA on the evening of the 3rd, haven’t decided where I’m staying yet. Interested in seeing some of LA/Hollywood (ideally Universal Studios but prob not time) on the 4th, would be good to meet up.

Alcatraz is also on my to see list, (not to stay list lol) the night tour sounds fun.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.