Community_discussions_small  

Question

LA to the Bay - June 2013

3 Mar 2013 mattynz asked

mattynz

Hey all,

Is anyone planning on the above trip from 5th to the 15th June? I'll be in the States for work so thought I'd see a few places and meet some people before I go back! Look forward to hearing from anyone :)

Cheers
Matt

• 29 Apr 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi Michael! Not sure where everybody else is at the moment haha. Pleased to meet you, I’m Gemma. I’m arriving on the evening of the 3rd as well. I think I might just stay at the gateway hotel (where we meet) for both nights out of convenience on arrival. I was thinking 16th for Alcatraz evening but if you want to come and you’re continuing your tour then I’m guessing you won’t be here that night so it may have to be the 15th?
    Anybody else up for this Alcatraz tour? I’ll be booking my place soon as tickets run out! :) x

• 29 Apr 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Hi Nadiah and Michael! Welcome!
    I am so keen for Alcatraz. Night tour sounds awesome, Gemma if you want to book a date I will book the same one. Michael, from the looks of Wild Western there are two nights in SF? Do you have a preference? I’m easy on dates, I am there til the 17th so 15th or 16th will work.
    I ended up booking at the gateway hotel for 3rd and 4th. It pays to shop around, I booked at olotels.com and got it for about half price. Hopefully they don’t mess my booking up though!

• 30 Apr 2013 Nadiah said

Nadiah

Hi guys! Sorry for being MIA but I have been super busy with school. I have yet to book my hotel too :( Anyway I am interested in the Alcatraz tour! 15th or 16th June is good with me. Gemma, it would be great if you could link us the Alcatraz tour website please! Woohoo we’re just around a month plus away guys! So stoked ^^

• 30 Apr 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Okay cool, we’ll wait to see which date Michael prefers then and then we can book! I’m there till the 18th I think and then I’m heading to Portland :) I think I will book the gateway too, so thanks for the advice of going to olotels.com! I’ll take a look. We can meet up and find the rest of the guys and explore together then :)

Sure Nadiah, here is the link: http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ if you look at the right hand column and click ‘compare tours’ you can read a bit about the night tour :)

Yep, only 4 weeks 6 days until I leave (I’m counting down daily…) x

Gemanji

Nadiah,

Sent you a private message! Please take a look :)

• 30 Apr 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

I shall be in SF for 2 days, the 15th and 16th, really don’t mind which for Alcatraz just let me know and I’ll book on the same trip.

Looking at hotels, by gateway do you mean the doubletree on 120 south LA street? – if yes will book also seems easier if a few of us are in the same location and we set of from there.

Plus I get to the airport at c7:30pm LA time on the 3rd if anyone else is travelling about that time and wants to share a taxi or somthing from the airport please let me know-although after 16 hours flight from Manchester via Chicago I probably won’t be the best of company lol!

Gemanji

I think the 16th will be the best night from the four people I’ve heard from. With the 15th being the final night for the LA to the Bay I think a lot of people will want to go out and drink and see the sights aswell, and we don’t wanna miss that! (not that we can’t go out after alcatraz, as I think the tour starts at 6.30pm and it’s for 2.5hours so we’ll be done by 9ish!). So tomorrow I will book the night of the 16th! :)

Yes that’s the hotel we mean by gateway :) Definitely, we will all meet up.

I’m flying from Birmingham via Newark New York airport, arriving 6pm local time! I bet if I’d have chosen manchester we’d be on the same flight lol. I THINK the doubletree hotel does a free shuttle service to the hotel if you call them from the airport when you arrive. Failing that I can always wait for you to arrive and we can get a taxi or something :) I won’t be much company either, in total that journey takes 17hours+ according to my flight itinerary!

• 30 Apr 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

Great i will book on the 16th @6:30 and the double tree

We’ll all have to swap numbers/e-mail address before we get there

Birmingham, urgh.. joy… i’m going there there tomorrow….. time for a holiday… !

• 30 Apr 2013 Juliana said

Juliana

Hi Michael, nice to meet you… Gemma, sorry not for reverting to you earlier with an aswer about Alcatraz, I really would like to visit, but I’m flying very early from San Francisco on 16th, so I don’t think it will be an option for me for this journey. I thought that the last evening of LA to the Bay trip will be 14th.

Gemanji

Great! Yeah we will exchange numbers and things :)
    I think the last night IS the 14th but the tour ends on the 15th, so most people will stay that night. We can do the 15th if you do want to come to alcatraz, Juliana?

• 1 May 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Juliana has said she cannot do the 15th either for Alcatraz, so I will be booking the night of the 16th online now, at 6.30pm :) Let me know when you’ve done it so I know I’m not alone!!! x

• 1 May 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Done!

• 2 May 2013 Nikcii said

Nikcii

Hi Nadiah and Michael :)

One of my regrets was not doing a tour of Alcatraz when in San Fran, I hope you guys have a great time on the night tour!

Not long to go now! Getting excited! It’s been a busy few months so this holiday is sounding better and better every day! Though not looking forward to the 32 hours of travel to actually get to LA :S should be getting all our documents soon!

• 2 May 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

Just booked my tickets for Alcatraz, 16th @ 6:30

• 7 May 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

I’ve been looking through reviews for oletels.com and frankly they look a tad shite, so I’ve booked direct with Doubletree, don’t want hastle with a booking company after a long flight! If anyone uses Oletels prob worth confirming the booking with Hilton a few days in advance….
    My booking provides an e-mail address if thats any help: HILTONNET@HILTONRES.COM

Anyone interested in this if we have any spare time in Vegas:
    http://www.nationalatomictestingmuseum.org/

• 7 May 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Agh finally! Wouldn’t let me comment before. Guys I can’t book alcatraz as it has to be done using a credit card, which I don’t have (and because I don’t have a round the year job/am an inbetweeny student, it’l be difficult to get one), and even if i borrowed my folks I have to take the card with me which I can’t do. So at the moment it looks like I can’t do it :( Just wanted to let you know.

• 8 May 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

Hi guys (again). Just so you know, I’ll be staying at the Green Tortoise hostel at SanFran (http://www.greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/index.php) after the tour for a few nights. Apparently it’s a good location and it’s a good price too. I thought I’d tell you in case you’re looking at places to stay afterwards!

• 9 May 2013 michaelw said

michaelw

Just filled in the ESTA online visa thing to get it out of the way, that thing is blatantly just an entry tax! But hey one step nearer and only 26 days to go… and more importantly only 15 working days

• 10 May 2013 lbellew said

lbellew

Ah not good! I get in from Canada at 10:30pm so hopefully they have my booking. Thanks for the address – will confirm a couple of days before to make sure.
    That’s a bugger Gemma – have you looked into a visa debit card? Heaps of banks here in NZ offer them (not sure about UK) and it means you can use the card online etc but it takes the money from your bank account like an ATM/eftpos card rather than a line of credit. The Green Tortoise looks good also – will keep that in mind. I really need to make a decision on that one soon.

Documents arrived the other week, flights paid for, ESTA sorted, I’m off in exactly 2 weeks. Bring it on!

• 11 May 2013 Gemanji said

Gemanji

I have a visa debit card but it wanted a credit card, same with other hostel bookings, so they wouldn’t accept my debit :/ I’ve applied for a credit card though so hopefully on monday I should get something through the post and a card very soon. Either way, I AM coming to Alcatraz because Michael has helped me out and added a ticket to his booking (thanks again Michael) so I am coming along :D Yeah The Green Tortoise seems rather good to me, they do things like excursions and free meals on certain nights, and free breakfast too! You’re off in two weeks?? Are you arriving a week or so early then? 3 weeks 2 days for me! :D Getting verrrrrrrrrrrrry excited.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.