Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA-NY 3rd Oct- 28th Oct 2013

7 Mar 2013 EmmaB asked

Default_avatar

Hi everyone, Ive just booked myself on the grand southern LA - NY 3rd October - 28th October :) I'll be traveling solo, so im just wondering who else will be doing this tour.. Thanks Emma :)

• 11 Mar 2013 Alisoneyre said

Alisoneyre

Hi,
    I’m about to book this tour for the same dates & your the first person I’ve found who’s doing it :) i can not wait!! Ali x

• 11 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Hi Ali, how exciting. I can’t wait either :)

• 11 Mar 2013 Alisoneyre said

Alisoneyre

What are you planning on doing after the tour ends in New York & Are you going to be LA before it starts!? X

• 12 Mar 2013 Adam M. said

Default_avatar

Hey all, I’m on this tour as well with my girlfriend.

We’ll be over in LA (hopefully) around the 28th of September, staying at a hotel down the street from Disneyland, so whoever’s going to be over there early, let us know and I’m sure we can find time to get a group together early.

After the trip, we’re staying in NY for another 2 nights, and then heading up to Massachusetts and out to Salem for Halloween :D

Absolutely hanging for this, and I cannot believe it’s still 6 months away :(

• 12 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Hey, I fly in to LA on the 29th of September, staying at a hotel in Hollywood for two nights, then at the contiki hotel for the other two nights before the tour starts. Ill be staying in New York for four days after the tour finishs aswell :) I cant believe its still 6 months away, im so excited :)

• 12 Mar 2013 Alisoneyre said

Alisoneyre

That’s great stuff!! I’m travelling California (san fran-vegas-san diego-LA) with my cousin for a month and he leaves around 27-28th Sep so Ill be in LA back end of September probably just using the time to chill out and catch up on some rays, so a meet up before we go would be great! Couple of nights out with each other before we begin out EPIC tour haha!!

I’m not sure what to do after it ends though as I’m a bit cautious about touring New York on my own, heard it can be a bit rough!? but I won’t want to come back home straight away??

I can’t wait to get this booked in the next couple of weeks!! roll on October!! Xx

• 16 Mar 2013 Adam M. said

Default_avatar

Meeting up beforehand definitely sounds like a good idea, I missed out doing that on my last Contiki in 2009, and kinda regretted it (because it meant I didn’t end up going to Disneyland :P)

I think what’s going to be easier closer to the date is setting up a Facebook group for this tour group, purely because I think the majority of us here would habitually check FB many more times in a day than we would the Contiki site :D

• 27 Mar 2013 mattrimmer said

Default_avatar

hey :) me and a mate are flying over from Australia for this contiki :) ill probably fly into LA for my 21st on the 27th September, then my mate will meet me in LA on the 1st October. W will then be travelling around for a couple months after aswell, this contiki looks amazing :D

• 28 Mar 2013 Alisoneyre said

Alisoneyre

Hiya, officially booked this last Saturday & its a deffinite departure :)
    Thats great, turning 21 on 27th, i’ll be turning 26 on 25th Sept & ill be in LA with my cousin, he leaves on 29th Sept.
    Yeah we should get a facebook group arranged because they’ll be a few of us if its a definite departure.
    Whats everyone thinking of doing with the ‘additional extras’ you can do? xx

• 28 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Heya, Oh cool definate departure is good news. Thats awsome that youve booked Ali, you must be more excited now :) Matt – where abouts in Australia are you from, im in Perth :)
    I agree, we should start a facebook page :) Would be nice to get to know everyone a little before we head out on our epic roadtrip across America…
    Ali, i havnt evan really looked at the additional extras, mostly because i think i would want to do them all haha.. Helicopter over the grand canyon does look good though:)

• 29 Mar 2013 mattrimmer said

Default_avatar

Emma im from perth aswell :) I live in rockingham ahah, yeh im stoked that ill be over there for my 21st. should all definitely meet up before hand and get to know eachother :) looks like there will be a few birthdays just before we leave for our roadtrip :)

• 29 Mar 2013 Adam M. said

Default_avatar

I’ll get the FB group set up when I get home from work :D

As for additionals, I’ll probably end up doing almost all of them, they’re some of the best parts of these trips. I went on a Grand Canyon helicopter trip last time I was in the US and it was amazing. Checking out the Dallas cowboys stadium sounds awesome, and I love cooking, so the cooking course in New Orleans is a must do. Universal Studios I’ve been to in LA, and I’m imagining the Orlando one is pretty similar, so I might pass on that and hit up an NBA game if there’s one on nearby.

Just as an aside, I figured out last night that if I bought an NBA jersey in every city we visit that has a team, I’ll go home with 11 jerseys, which is a bit much for even me :D

• 29 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Hey Matt, oh wow really, im from like the complete other side of the city, Clarkson lol.. Geez there is a few birthdays, ill be 25 the end of August too :) What a way to spend your 21st though :) Adam thats awsome youre gonna set up a fb page :) What was Universal like in LA? 11 jerseys isnt that bad, can’t imagine how many clothes ill buy over there, pritty much gonna go with a empty suitcase and buy stuff as we go :) How much spending money do you think you all will take ? Awwww im so excited

• 29 Mar 2013 mattrimmer said

Default_avatar

when are u heading over to the states emma? im leaving perth at the start of july because im going around Europe for a couple months first :) yeh I cant wait to spend my 21st there, would be good if we all catch up when we first get there. universal studios in LA is amazing and Orlando one is kinda the same, abit different but.. Adam ill be keen for the dallas cowboys stadium and im definitely going to many NBA games over there, but the season starts like 3 days after the contiki, so might need to catch one then. since im travelling for about 6-7 months ill be taking about 45k, but a couple thousand will probably be plenty for the contiki :)

• 29 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

OMG Matt, thats sounds fantastic, 2013 is def the year for you :) I get to LA on the 29th September about 6am :) Kinda sucks because check-in at the hotel is not till 3, hope theyll hold my bags for me :) Itl be awsome to catch up when we get there, im so keen to get a group together before contiki.. I would love to go to disneyland and universal in LA but dont wanna go by myself :/ plus i hope i have time to do all the touristy things like the Hollywood sign, walk of fame blah blah lol Wish i got more time of from work, would love to see and do more over there..

• 29 Mar 2013 Adam M. said

Default_avatar

Ok, so this link should take you straight to the group;
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/119325998258709
    I’m not sure if you’ll have to request to be added or if you can just join, but there it is, jump on in!

• 29 Mar 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Awsome, thanks Adam :) I hope the next 6 months go quicky

• 1 Apr 2013 Alisoneyre said

Alisoneyre

Bloody hell Matt. Emma’s right this is the year for you :) Which hotel are people staying in before the contiki tour starts & does anyone know where it meets, they said they send out a ‘welcome pack’ about 30 days before departure but I won’t be in the UK ill have already done a month in California so not sure how that’s going to work for me to get organised :)

Emma, I know what you mean there’s so much to do for the extras, I’m pretty keen on the Orlando studio tour & finishing in Harry Potter world haha! You also mentioned Disneyland in La which I would be up for, my cousin Hates stuff like that so I won’t get a chance to & like you not something I really want to experience in my own so I’d be up for it :)

I dunno about spending money really probably about $1500+ for the contiki tour!

Adam & Matt how much would a basketball game be over there!? Would it be easy to get tickets!?

Xx

• 2 Apr 2013 Adam M. said

Default_avatar

Katie and I are staying at a hotel called “La Quinta” in Anaheim for 4 nights before the tour, which is 1 street over from Disneyland just off West Katella Avenue, and then the day before the tour (2nd Oct) we’re heading up into LA proper to stay at the hotel the tour starts from, which according to our travel agent, is a place called “DoubleTree by Hilton”, which is right in the middle of downtown LA on Los Angeles St. With spending money, I’ll probably be taking close to 6-8k (depending on how much I can save between now and then… we still haven’t bought our flights yet…) for before, during and after the Contiki tour, and that will have to cover non-included meals, drinking, gambling, shopping, optionals, taxi rides etc, so I think I’m pretty safe with that amount.

I’ll be buying an international SIM card for my phone before I go, so if anyone needs to call me at any stage to figure out where people are, or where there’s a group meeting or whatever, I’ll post my number on the FB group before I leave Sydney.

As far as the NBA tickets go, they can range from about $50USD close to the roof all the way to $1000 for seats almost sitting in the coaches lap, but the better seats go really quick, so I’ll let everyone know when I go to buy my tickets.

• 3 Apr 2013 EmmaB said

Default_avatar

Ali, im staying at the Hollywood Roosevelt for 2 nights then the Contiki Hotel (DoubleTree by hilton) for the other 2 nights before the tour begins :) Oh yay, your up for disneyland in LA, im so keen for Harry Potter world too haha :) Oh cool, i was thinking 6-7k to bring so thats good.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.