Community_discussions_small  

Question

Culturally Freindly??

5 Oct 2007 Civilrightstoday1 asked

Default_avatar
I am an African American woman who is very interested in traveling abroad and I wanted to know are the trips culturally friendly?
  • 5 Oct 2007 HD1712 said

HD1712

If you like to have fun, party, drink and dance up a storm you will have no problem in fitting in.
    If you are quiet, reserved, don’t drink you may have trouble fitting in the australian way.

• 16 Oct 2007 Kezmo said

Kezmo

I’m Aussie and in my opinion we are very culturally friendly after all, we live in a bvery multi-cultural society.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that if you are quiet, reserved and don’t like to drink that you won’t be accepted – different strokes for different folks – i say.

• 23 Oct 2007 Laurenic said

Default_avatar

Australia has what i consider the largest multicultural society in the world, you name a race/religion and they either live in or holiday to Aus!

• 18 Nov 2007 LeighF said

Default_avatar

G’day,
    Australia is a very friendly country culturally, and whether you are quiet and reserved, or more outgoing you will be accepted. If thats one thing Australia does it ACCEPTS all people.

Civilrightstoday1 you will have an awesome time on Contiki especially in Australia Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Mar 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

If I had to pick anywhere to live would be Australia. Spent 28 days on holiday there and loved it. They are the most open minded people I have ever met really laid back and easy going. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. I’ll say it again contiki and travel is all what YOU make of it.

• 26 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

Australians are friendly, but like anywhere else they do have ones that aren’t so friendly. The only thing I can say is that in lots of the small cities (which is probably most of them), the people are very friendly. I remember we looked lost and a woman just stopped and asked us where we needed to go. On the other hand, when we were in Sydney they are more reserved and are not as friendly as you would see in the smaller towns (not all people from Sydney are like this). It’s like any country, take Canada for example, small towns are associated with friendlier people, whereas if you go to Toronto you may not get the same effect. Sydney is a beautiful place though. Again this isn’t true for everyone. This was just how I felt when I went there, but most of your time in Australia will be spent in the little cities where the Australians are amazing, friendly, and helpful. I would also love to live in Australia, but in a little city. Overall, it is gorgeous, fun, and if you are reserved you will fit in fine. I’m reserved, I don’t drink, and am not much of a partier and I fit in.

• 28 Mar 2008 Danni said

Default_avatar

Generally Sydney is ok, you might meet unruley people though. Just be wise, if you need advice ask a group of middle aged people or a family, rather than a group of teenage guys.

As long as you try and blend in and not expect special treatment people will be nice.

Reference to the above post: i would be more than help female tourists as much as i could, im a little more sceptical about guys but thats only because im a 19 year old girl

• 28 Mar 2008 Wojtek_TO said

Wojtek_TO
    quote:
    Originally posted by Civilrightstoday1:
    I am an African American woman who is very interested in traveling abroad and I wanted to know are the trips culturally friendly?

We had a good cultural mix on my tour and I cannot
    remember anyone having any problems whatsoever. I’ve seen more ignorance in Toronto that we did on the tour. Do remember that the livelihood of the places you travel to is tourism so they’re accustomed and welcoming to people from all over the world.

• 24 Apr 2008 brad said

Default_avatar

hey..guys hav no worries about the Australian culture. I’m Aussie myself. and it’s like anywhere else in the world. Generally people are really friendly and helpful. Most of us are generally interested in tourists and their stories and so forth so strike up a conversation or wateva

• 7 May 2008 Samantha said

Samantha

I’m from a small town so I can’t speak for cities, but as soon as you open your mouth and talk with a different accent, 99% of Australians will love you from then on.

Obviously in cities, people won’t be as accepting, but I will never think of most of them as mean and when I got lost in Melbourne recently, people were very eager to point me in the right direction.

Australians are known for their laid back attitude so I don’t think there is anything to worry about at all.

Samantha.

• 9 May 2008 Emma said

Default_avatar

Whats not to love about this place…weather is beautiful, rarely have natural or man made disasters, have some of the most beautiful natural wonders and speaking for myself…i love people with accents…esp european/american

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion