Community_discussions_small  

Question

Contiki or backpacking?

20 Mar 2013 Dwayne88 asked

Dwayne88

Hey, I am having doubts as to whether or not to go on my trip. Or if i should just go backpacking solo instead?

Has anyone done either or both and have any opinions or experiences?

Im sure contiki would be awesome for meeting people and they cram in so much, but im sure i would still meet heaps of people backpacking and have alot more freedom so to speak...

So many decisions!

• 21 Mar 2013 Laurenkaye19 said

Laurenkaye19

Come on Contiki Dwayne it will be amazingggg! :)

• 22 Apr 2013 Alana said

Alana

I am having the same thoughts Dwayne. I have done a Top Deck Tour through Europe before and found that really good for meeting people, everything was pretty much organised for us and was an excellent trip, now am looking at the West Coast of America and was considering backpacking but I do think depending on how much time you have got a tour would be the best way to go.

• 7 Aug 2013 kduncs24 said

kduncs24

I have done a contiki Through Europe and I’ve travelled solo through the US. However I am doing a tour through the US as well.
    It all depends on the type of person you are. Hostels in the US can be a lot of fun and you can make a lot of friends but my issue is not getting to see everything I want to because I am easily distracted!

I guess it all depends on where you want to go. The tour for Europe was great because I can only speak English so I didn’t have to worry about translating etc.

If you find a tour that you thoroughly think you’ll enjoy, then do it. but perhaps do a bit of back packing also!
    Tours seem expensive, but spending time it certain places can take a toll on your bank account also. Travelling on your own means you pay for everything, car rental, buses, trains, flights, even cab fares here and there even just your meals can get a bit costly at times… atleast on contiki everything Is basically organised for you.

• 18 Oct 2013 Ben said

Ben

my belated advice if its a english speaking country do it solo if not probably contiki for convenience but looking back contiki it was so rushed i enjoyed my time alone more where i could take my time and do what i want when i want.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.