Community_discussions_small  

Question

Scandinavia & Russia Plus 6th July 2013

21 Mar 2013 picklessarah asked

picklessarah

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone else has booked to do the Scandinavia & Russia Plus tour in July (6-27) this year? Also, if you've done this tour before or visited any of these areas, I'd love to hear some of your advice.
Thanks!

• 10 Apr 2013 AJ said

AJ

Just submitted my visa application … Wish me luck guys

• 15 Apr 2013 picklessarah said

picklessarah

Hi,
    Sorry if this is a bit personal, but I was wondering what everyone was doing for money over there? Using a travel card/credit card or getting out cash in each countries currency? I’ve heard some countries will take the Euro (even if it’s not their currency) so I’m wondering whether I should convert it before the trip or once we get to the destination?

• 18 Apr 2013 jesswozz said

jesswozz

Sarah, I’ll probably take my regular bank card(not a credit card) as back up and get a commonwealth bank travel card to mainly use.. I got one last year when I did some traveling in Europe and its pretty good to have! I think it costs $20 to set up.. They give you two pin protected cards to use, so if you lose your first one you can just jump on the internet and set it as inactive and activate your spare one to use that instead. You can select a heap of different currencies on to it which it will automaticall draw out of when your in that country.. I’ll probably get one with Pounds, Euros, Rubles set to it, and just currency exchange some cash for when the shorter country stops like Sweden, Poland. Hope that helps!

• 21 Apr 2013 Dana.B said

Dana.B

I’m taking my Visa Debit Card as a backup, A Credit Card for emergencies or if I run out of money, and an ANZ Travel Card loaded with Euro and GBP for everyday use. The ANZ travel card has no fees for in store transactions and it’s only like $3.50 to get money out. I cannot find a travel card that you can load with Rubles, but you can use it everywhere on our trip and it just uses your number one currency (mine will be Euros) and transfers it into the currency wherever you are. I am getting a EURO and GBP Cash Pack from ANZ for cash to have on me.

“I’ve heard some countries will take the Euro (even if it’s not their currency)”

I heard that too but I looked into it a little and they said to try not to do that because the exchange rate they offer you is horrible. So I’m going to use my travel card and if I have to use cash I will draw some out in the local currency from my travel card.

What is everyone doing after the tour finishes in Berlin? Flying home from Berlin or travelling more.. etc?

• 21 Apr 2013 picklessarah said

picklessarah

Hey,
    Thanks for the tips, I will probably also just get a travel card for everyday use (and a credit card for emergencies).
    I’m catching my plane home from Warsaw, but I’m travelling around Europe two months prior to our Contiki tour. What are your plans?

• 21 Apr 2013 jesswozz said

jesswozz

I’ll be finishing in warsaw too.. I’ll probably spend an extra day or so there before going somewhere else(haven’t decided yet). I’m also taking the starting to Copenhagen option so I can get a few more days in there before the tour starts!

• 17 May 2013 Melissa said

Melissa

Hi everyone, I’m doing the 9 day Scandinavia tour leaving 6th July which most of you seem to be doing but will be finishing up on the 14th (when the Russia part seems to start). No one is on my meetup for the 9 day Scandinavia at the moment. I will be staying an extra night on 4th July at plus hostel in Germany before so if anyone is around on the 4th/5th and would like to meet up and have a look around let me know :) Mel

• 24 May 2013 Claire said

Claire

Hey Mel, I don’t have anything booked yet but i also plan to come to Berlin a few days earlier to explore :)

• 27 May 2013 Nic said

Default_avatar

Hey guys!
    I’m on this tour as well!
    I hope everyone has applied for russian visa by now. because they can be a pain in the ass and slow!
    Seems like a great tour, been to scandinavia before and thats expensive as hell. planning to get my booze from germany… because nothing beats germany’s prices!

as for cash, im using cash and a c/c. i find c/c safer! personal choice really as i am there for 2 months and visting some dodgy countries.

• 27 May 2013 jesswozz said

jesswozz

I’ve heard its really expensive… I didnt think about bringing alcohol with us, that’s a good idea! I’ll have to get some from duty free when I fly from London to Copenhagen.. What dodgy countries are you heading to Nic?

• 28 May 2013 Nic said

Default_avatar

Duty free is alright, but if you miss out on buying it booze is still really cheap in Germany from what i remember! Italy, Russia, Spain and a few others… They will steal your shoes while you are still wearing them over there. Its good to be careful.

• 25 Jun 2013 KSeaTree said

KSeaTree

Hey all, I’m on this tour too ( scandi & Russia plus) starting Berlin July 4th. If you’re planning on bringing cash you may want to bring some NOK for Norway even though it isn’t on the what to bring list (on the Canadian Contiki website anyway). Looking forward to meeting you all soon :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion