Community_discussions_small  

Comment

how much money for Europe

13 Mar 2008 soph_25 said

Default_avatar
Hi I am from Brisbane Australia and planning to take a contiki trip through Europe and was just thinking about how much money I will need to save airfares, insurance, tour, spending money etc. anyone know a ballpoint figure? Smiler
  • 13 Mar 2008 Explorer1092717 said

Default_avatar

hey soph,
    i am from the states so i dont know how much of a difference the money differs compared to Austrailia. Right now the US dollar to the Euro is about 1:1.30 or even 1:1.40, so pretty damn bad.
    For your airfare, it would cost from 1200 and up. Depending on when you leave, where you leave, how many places you stop before. Buy soon and save some money.
    Insurance isnt required but some people like to have it. Im doing an insurance plan through contiki that costs $109 and covers most everything.
    Depending on the tour you go on, its going to be expensive. From what I have heard, Contiki has a tendency to rip off people, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I think its worth it b/c you dont have to plan anything and you’re with other people like yourself.
    Considering most tours only provide around 1 meal a day, and excursions are mostly optional, be coservative and be prepared to spend about $100 extra while on the tour. If you plan to spend some time on your own before/after the trip, expect around $200 a day.
    Again, this is coming from someone who is trying to be conservative, but still wants to be party and have fun. Make your trip worth it. These are probably low estimates. Also, this was in US dollars…
    Anyways, hope this helps.

• 13 Mar 2008 soph_25 said

Default_avatar

Hi explorer,
    Thanx heaps all of that does help, I havent been overseas b4 unless you count NZ, so its hard working out the costs it will be alot i reckon.
    thanx again

• 13 Mar 2008 Luke83 said

Default_avatar

hey there, i just got back from euro encounter trip and i budgeted for 100 euros a day and that was lunch every day, souvenirs, bit of shopping here and there and drinking (too much drinking lol)
    Flights $1800 AUD
    Tour $2100AUD
    Spending $6000
    —————————————
    Total $9900

The good thing i came home with about $2000 AUD and i did all the optionals aswell and went out 11 out of 16 nights. Hope this helps

Default_avatar

Check out Etihad Airlines – they do some great deals and they are a fantastic airline and they fly out of brisbane cos thats where i flew out of.

• 13 Mar 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

thats alot of spending money in 16 days luke! lol. I’m trying to gauge how much i’ll need for a euro inspiration. WAs that amount for travels afterwards…

how much is alot of alcohol (in terms of what u drank and spent)?

thanks and cheers, peta Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Default_avatar

yes that also included 5 days in London which is so expensive. In regards to alcohol it depends on you and also if your tm has good knowledge of all the best nightspots hich ours did. In amsterdam we went to this bar in the RLD and happy hour is 2 for 1 and also 1 euro jaiger shots. But overall i probably spent about 1500 on alcohol incl London

Default_avatar

honestly the best way is 100 euros a day and youll be fine

• 14 Mar 2008 soph_25 said

Default_avatar

thanx for all the info. I will have to keep saving and working. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Mar 2008 Luke83 said

Default_avatar

hey nah i took 6000 spending and spent 4000 but its all up to your own spending habits. I bought a few souvenirs, but didnt go overboard

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.