Community_discussions_small  

Question

RABIES INJECTION

25 Mar 2013 Anna-Jane asked

Default_avatar

Hey Guys! :)

I am doing the Adventurer on June the 1st and my nurse said I should get the rabies injection cause of Peru but when I look online its Brazil that has had deaths and not Peru. I was just wondering if anybody else has been advised to get it? Everybody I know that has gone there has never got the injection and it is $500.00 in NZ to get, so quite expensive! So yeah, let me know your thoughts :)

• 27 Mar 2013 SarahK2710 said

SarahK2710

Hey,
    I’m doing the Adventurer in May and the nurse I talked to at my local travel centre said that if you’re traveling through the amazon, bats are probably the biggest risk for the spread of rabies. And the big problem with bats is you don’t necessarily know if you have been bit because they are so small.

I got the rabies vaccine, but where I live, there is a doctor who does it ID instead of IM (under the skin instead of into the muscle) and she vaccinates in groups of up to 7 people, which means it’s 1/7 the cost. So for me instead of costing $720 I only paid $100.

• 8 May 2013 roryschultze said

Default_avatar

If you are going through the Amazon you may want to bring along some Malaria tablets to

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.