Community_discussions_small  

Question

How strict is the luggage size requirement?

30 Aug 2008 HavePassportMustTravel asked

HavePassportMustTravel
I had ordered a suitcase from Walmart.com at the very beginning of August for my tour that departs on 9/5, and it finally arrived today. Well, it's damaged and I don't have enough time to order another online and the only one arrival in the store in my price range is 29"x19.5"x14". Do you think that would be OK?
  • 30 Aug 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

don’t remember the dimensions allowed off the top of my head, but I haven’t heard of them measuring suitcases on tours. They are more concerned about weight and will weigh your suitcase before the tour.

• 31 Aug 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I should throw out there that on the Europe tours I never noticed anyone getting their suitcase measured. However the 20kg rule is strictly enforced (minus sleeping bag on concept tours). What you should be concerned about is the airlines as well. They love charging fees and have oversized bag rules (weight and dimensions). Of course, they only measure them if they look massive, so you could get lucky. Just something to think about!

• 1 Sep 2008 saraaa said

Default_avatar

So I’m a bit worred about the size of my suitcase. Its quite a large one, but it’s a QANTAS brand bag so I’m guessing it can’t be toohuge.. right? It’s the right length and width but it’s a bit higher than the restriction.. should I just stick with it and make sure its less than 20kg or get a smaller one?!?

• 1 Sep 2008 Explorer1082701 said

Default_avatar

hmm… maybe my tour was the exception, but none of us on our Simply Italy Tour (June 06) got our suit cases weighed or measured.

• 1 Sep 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Saraaa – As long as your suitcase looks like a NORMAL sized suitcase you will be fine. If it’s a bit over in measurements it will be ok. If you are like 8-10cm+ over in measurements then you might need to reconsider!

You also must adhere to the 20kg limit because the last thing you want is to be rumaging through your things to leave stuff behind before the bus leaves on day one.

• 8 Oct 2008 Explorer1106442 said

Default_avatar

well, no one on our trip was told off for the size of suitcase..as long as you have a normal size case you should be fine. However EVERYONE gets there cases weighed and they stick to the 20kg limit.if its over you will have to take some out..id say you are better off having a light case anyway..lots of places you will have to carry up stairs and theres alot of cobblestones and surfaces where you can not wheel them. after a few days everyone starts 2 not worry what they wearing anyway.so id say pack the essentials Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Oct 2008 Explorer1114284 said

Default_avatar

I’m thinking of getting this High Sierra bag http://www.crewgear.com.au/product_detail.php?pid=378

Is this suitable for a European Discovery tour? Is it too big? My entire trip will be 5 weeks.

• 8 Oct 2008 said

Default_avatar
    This

is the bag I used on my trip over the summer, didnt have any problems with the size!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.