Community_discussions_small  

Question

Money in the United States. Help?

6 Aug 2010 KaitA7X asked

KaitA7X
Hi guys.
I'm getting out of Australia for the first time and heading to the United States in October. I'm a bit terrified about the money situation and whether I have enough or not.

All my accomodation and transporation is all paid for - for after the Contiki Tour, but what is a decent amount of spending money to take over to the United States for a month? I just don't want to get there and be a little stuck for money.

I'm so nervous, and excited at the same time.
  • 6 Aug 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Probably around $100 a day on average.

• 6 Aug 2010 Dale Mac said

Dale Mac

just a thought aswell, we’re heading to america in 2 weeks and did heaps of research on how to use our money over there, NAB have a “gold everyday account”, which comes with a visa debit card, it has a $10 monthly fee but you dont get charged any currency conversion fees or atm fees (atm may have direct $2 fee or something) just use the “credit” option when using it and your covered by visa if anything goes wrong with it. travelex, and any other banks that offer “travel” cards charge reload fees,atm fees etc.

they waive the $10 a month fee if you deposit $5000 or more in the account per month.

PS: we’ve budgeted for $150 a day each.

• 6 Aug 2010 KaitA7X said

KaitA7X
    quote:
    Originally posted by cdm115:
    Probably around $100 a day on average.

Is that during tour, or after that?
    Sorry, just trying to figure it out so I have myself all planned out on what I can and cant spend daily Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Aug 2010 KaitA7X said

KaitA7X
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dale Mac:
    just a thought aswell, we’re heading to america in 2 weeks and did heaps of research on how to use our money over there, NAB have a “gold everyday account”, which comes with a visa debit card, it has a $10 monthly fee but you dont get charged any currency conversion fees or atm fees (atm may have direct $2 fee or something) just use the “credit” option when using it and your covered by visa if anything goes wrong with it. travelex, and any other banks that offer “travel” cards charge reload fees,atm fees etc.

they waive the $10 a month fee if you deposit $5000 or more in the account per month.

PS: we’ve budgeted for $150 a day each.

Oh that sounds good. I was considering getting the ANZ travellers card with my money already converted into USD but the NAB card does sound pretty good.

• 8 Aug 2010 Dale Mac said

Dale Mac

yeh its pretty good, and when you get back you can either cancel the account or convert it back to “classic” banking and that has no fees what so ever.

• 8 Aug 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

That’d be during and after tour Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> just make sure you have enough for optionals, meals, souveniers etc food is pretty cheap over there.. but US$100 per day should be pretty good, if your worried make it $150..you can always bring home change

• 9 Aug 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I would say $100 during the tour, maybe a bit more for after the tour. But it depends on what types of things you want to do before and after tour. If you’re going to Disneyland and other amusement parks for a day after your tour then $100 isn’t going to get you far. If you’re going to the beach, then $100 is plenty.

• 23 Aug 2010 CarolineSC said

CarolineSC

In the US most states have a sales tax. So don’t be surprised if something says one price and when you get to the counter to pay for it, its a little more.

• 23 Aug 2010 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

now i’m a spender…. lol i budgeted $150 a day, but i also allocated money for optionals. but thats cause i like to buy stuff….. sad i know. i found that worked… some places you spend more definately like vegas, miami, new york, and others not so much!

• 29 Aug 2010 Kaz said

Kaz

Take more than you think…I have just got back and it was a lot more expensive than where I live in London. You will have free time, be taking taxis, eating out, lots of drinking, then snacks for the coach and lots of water. Not to mention the tipping. A lot of drinks were like $7/8 then a dollar tip on top. I had about $1300 for 18 days and I just got by…I’d take at least $2000 if I did another 18 day trip!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion