Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Any Ireland or UK questions just ask...

15 Mar 2009 Explorer1111414 said

Default_avatar
Hi guys,

I've always got great answers on the boards so figure it's only fair for me to share some of my knowledge too.

I raised this topic in the meeting place for UK/Ireland but just to throw it out there for everyone else too, here's a summary of that post...

if anyone has any questions about UK and Ireland just ask, I'll try to help, I live in Ireland and have been all round the UK...

Weather...

April can be iffy... I'd say bring a hoodie, cause there is always a good chance of rain. Though we do get slightly warmer around the end of April and into May, you should bring a good coat too, because it will be pretty cold.
Mid to late June is my favourite time of year here, it seems to be when there is least rain. Temp might get up to 18 C, which is good for us! I'd still say bring 1 top with a hood cause you can never tell over here. Brittney I think if you pack for your London to Athens tour June/July it will be very warm, especially in Greece, just add a jacket with a hood or a coat, plus a pair of trousers for ireland (save the shorts for mainland Europe!) and you'll be fine...

Money ...

Southern Ireland is the Euro, northern ireland like the uk is pound, if you plan to travel outside of the tour. Getting money changed is really easy, as is getting between the 2, as there isn't really a border these days. Ireland and the UK go for the quite expensive to live in, cheap to visit category. Alcohol, nights out and food are cheap, and healthy which is good if you're travelling, though shopping etc would be quite expensive.

Dress code -
here is pretty casual when going to the typical Irish bar, but if you want to go to clubs either here or in England, it's smart casual. Most places are shoes and jeans for guys, basically no trainers or tracksuit bottoms.

It is a very unique island, I think if you are travelling here for the 8 days with contiki, if you spend another week here you would have seen pretty much all of Ireland, it's that small! It's a very interesting place, you'll love it!

There's lots of great places to shop. I don't know how the Aus $ is at the mo, but you'd be best doing most of your shopping in Northern Ireland / England / Scotland / Wales. The pound is weak and the euro is expensive these days, so shopping in (south) Ireland might be a little expensive. Good places to shop here are Dublin and Belfast, both have typical city styles, lots of big name shops, including loads of new places in Belfast.

Best place I've shopped in UK is Manchester, they have a "mall" called the trafford center that's huge and has at least 1 of everything! London is a bit more expensive but could work out well because of the low pound.

For those travelling through europe, I think the UK and Ireland are cool place to clothes shop, I think we've got good trends... but mainland european countries do better souveniers...

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion