Community_discussions_small  

Question

Arriving in JFK-shuttle bus, cab or limo?

30 Apr 2008 Princessvixen asked

Default_avatar
Hi all
I'm travelling to the states again next month(so glad I can say that now yeha!) and I am unsure what the quickest and cheapest way to get from the airport to my hotel(note it is not the contiki hotel but is in manhattan). Someone has told me the taxi's charge a flat rate of $30-$40 and apparently I can get a private car(sedan)for $40.As I will have been travelling for 26 hours straight by the time I arrive in New York is worth going one of these options or just go the supper shuttle?I just don't fancy being in a bus for 2+ hours when I have been travelling that long!

cheers
lisa
  • 30 Apr 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Hey Lisa – the SuperShuttle was ok (for me) but yeah, it can take it’s time to navigate around the city.

I dont know if I’d trust cabs saying its a “flat rate”, just in case it works out to be double that.

I’d probably try and get some quotes from the private car companies and book that if it’s reasonable enough (ie: around the $50 mark) – good thing with the aussie dollar now is that it’s almost even no matter which way you go.

• 1 May 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Angie:
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

It’s city law in New York. (as it does mention, this does not include tax and tip). This is written in the cab, and all cabbies who go to JFK will follow that.

Oh, cool. Thanks Angie! Good to know!

• 3 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

If it was me I’d save the money and take the shuttle. If you’ve never been to New York its also a cheap way to get an idea of the city before you start exploring…Save your money for the cool stuff you wanna see there

• 3 May 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

See if you can get a price from Super Shuttle. If it’s only a couple bucks take the cab. Super Shuttle is great if you’re the first drop off, but if you’re the last it can be a pain – it’s a crap shoot. You sorda have to pick your price point.

• 4 May 2008 said

Default_avatar

You could totally take the Air Train or shuttle but to me, it was the last thing I felt like doing after spending over 24 hours travelling. Carmel Limo picked me up, looked after my luggage and dropped me off right outside my hotel in less than an hour- it was the quickest way to get there because I didn’t have to wait for a cab. To me, it was totally worth the money because I was absolutely stuffed! It really depends on how high your travelling tolerance is Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 6 May 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

a couple from one of my tours got sucked in by a scam. they got to take a livery taxi (nicer black sedan), but paid like $100 and they guy was rude once they got to the hotel. Beware of people who approach you to drive you to the city, stay on the line for the yellow taxi.

• 27 May 2008 LeahSFX said

LeahSFX

Hi,

I went to NYC twice last year and did SuperShuttle both times, I find them to be really reasonable and comfortable, as well as cost effective.

Ive heard horror stories about rented cars etc too but if you can afford it would be nice!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.