Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 19 Feb 2010 Ing said

Default_avatar

I was thinking of taking magazines to read rather than a book so that i can throw them out once done with them

• 5 Mar 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Definetly wish I had taken more drinking money! I should have just planned my budget better overall.

I also wish I had I had researched which were the good clubs in each city because alot of the time we started at some place that all the contiki groups went, then we were a bit clueless about where to go next.

I also wish the clothes I bought were a bit more mix-and matchable. I bought plenty of clothes but I couldn’t really mix them around much at all, so I felt like I didn’t bring enough!

• 29 Mar 2010 Indochina_in_june said

Default_avatar

I think this site is great. I am making my list of what to bring and not to bring based on this site. Very helpful. Thanks.

Does anyone have any advise on Asia. Mostly what has been posted has been about Europe.

• 2 Apr 2010 Tilie87 said

Default_avatar

Hey Im doing the grand southern in less than 2 weeks? Just woundering if anyone knows what the weather will be over there?? Im starting in LA and finishing in NY, plus wat should I pack?? Any advice would be helpful Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 3 Apr 2010 Carlos Marrufo said

Carlos Marrufo
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tilie87:
    Hey Im doing the grand southern in less than 2 weeks? Just woundering if anyone knows what the weather will be over there?? Im starting in LA and finishing in NY, plus wat should I pack?? Any advice would be helpful Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

LA this time of yeah is decent (in the 70s during the day and 50s at night) should be the same throughout the tour ive and take some degrees…looking on weather.com to double check…

• 5 Apr 2010 Tilie87 said

Default_avatar

hey im heading To the USA in 6 days and was just wondering if its easy to buy tickets to a NBA game or a baseball game?? Would just like to experience it since ill be over there! Ill be doing the GS which starts on the 15th

• 8 Apr 2010 Chanel said

Chanel

hi all i am going on the European Panorama starting May 17 and just wondering if are we stopping at Dover harbour on the last bit of our journey i,e day 28, if so what time approximately ?

• 16 Apr 2010 Christina said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by FSLS:
    For LONDON TO ATHENS JULY 2008
    I am glad that I:
    Packed lots of bright colored makeup (it cam in handy for all the theme parties)
    Did all of the optionals
    Took tons of Vitamin C before I left
    Didn’t spend alot on alcohol
    Bought the tour photo
    Didn’t eat alot of junk food at the services
    Packed alot of jewellery to dress up outfits
    Packed “going out” outfits
    Packed a small pair of scissors, sewing kit, and nail kit
    Took 2 hoodies even though it was boiling hot
    Did London to Athens (some of our tour stopped in Rome, Corfu and Athens were the best part)
    Took a travel pillow

Things I should have done:
    Spent more money in Barcelona, because it had the best shopping
    Took a bigger suitcase (they weigh it at the beinnning, then never again, and they dont measure it)
    Packed more dressy shoes
    Packed an extra pair of flip flops
    Packed tape (its amazing how much you use it for)

ahhh there is so much more, but I hope this helps someone out

may I ask, what did you use tape for ???
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Apr 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Wow what an awesome thread!! Love it!! Thanks so much for all the really great idea’s!!!

Question regarding bringing Anti-biotics from home – Is there any problem bringing these from home (customs etc)?? Do you just ask your doctor for it?? I would have thought they can’t prescribe anti-biotics unless your sick when you see them???

quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1133598:
    Also, for anyone staying at the Royal National Hotel in London:

Their room-sharing system is fundamentally flawed. Whenever you check into a room and they give you your keycard, anyone else who’s already checked into that room with you gets their card reset. And, your card will in turn get reset when your next roommate checks in.

So it’s one big perpetual system of going down to the front desk and saying “Hey, my key doesn’t work anymore!”. My advice is that when you do that, go down once you’ve met all your roommates so that you can all have fresh keys.

I was wondering how that would work (or not apparently :P ) Thanks for the heads up, I’m staying there for 5 days in total before and after both my tours.

For my NZ tour I did about 3 years ago
    I’m glad I:
    ~Went with my best friend, I was pretty shy (hehe WAS) and was the first time I’d been out of Australia. In saying that though, I made heaps of friends on tour and am very excited to be going alone to Europe!!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    ~ Bungee jumped. I would have regretted it so much if I’d chicken’d out. Is scary but so worth it!!
    ~ Stepped out of my comfort zone and tried different things
    ~ brought a pair of sunnys, essential for the morning after a big night!!! :P
    ~ kept a diary, though i slacked off in the last few days I still wrote down dot points so I could finish it off when I got home. There are so many things I forget and have a look at it every now and again and brings back awesome memories!!
    ~ took about a million photos!!
    ~ went in the first place, was the best experience in my life!!!!!

I wish I’d:
    ~ worn thicker and longer socks when hiking up the Fox Glacier……I got MASSIVE blisters which stuck with me for the rest of the tour because I was wearing crappy little anklets in the hiking boots
    ~ had a good look through the optionals before I went. I had no idea and picked on the bus so didn’t have a good idea what I really wanted to do.
    ~ Spent a few more days before and after the tour to enjoy NZ; I flew in the day before tour started and flew out the day after it finished.
    ~ thought of buying alcohol at shops for pre going out drinks instead of spending heaps in bars and nightclubs
    ~ written down what some of my photos were of. Got home and had a bit of trouble picking which mountain was what!! lol!!

• 29 Apr 2010 Alannasch said

Alannasch

I visited Europe in winter (during ‘the big freeze’ lol).
    TIPS FOR THE COLD:
    1. Take thermal underwear!! Yes it feels daggy but it is under your clothes so nobody else knows you’re wearing it anyway and it makes a huge difference
    2. Layer, layer, layer! Even if it is freezing outside you’ll find every pub/restaurant/shop/cafe you step foot inside is toasty warm so it helps if you can remove a few layers.Usually a thermal shirt, normal shirt, jumper and woollen coat orski jacket is a good way to go for up top.
    3. Don’t be afraid to travel Europe in winter. There is literally no queues for anything and usually cheaper as well. I only went coz it was when i had uni holidays but it was a good decision.
    4. Thick soled shoes and woolen socks. The footpaths outside can be freezing cold you need to wear shoes with thick soles and nice woolly socks.
    It can be difficult to pack light if travelling during cold months. My advice it to take lots of undershirts and socks and wash these in your hotel room.
    Jeans and jackets don’t get dirty as easily and you can wear these again and again without them getting too smelly so dont bother taking as many.
    I took like 5 pairs of jeans which i regret. I only needed like 2 or 3. And i definately dont think i packed nearly enough socks and thermal shirts.
    Hope this advice is helpful to anyone travelling in the cold!

• 6 May 2010 Explorer1168534 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Christina:
    quote:
    Originally posted by FSLS:
    For LONDON TO ATHENS JULY 2008
    I am glad that I:
    Packed lots of bright colored makeup (it cam in handy for all the theme parties)
    Did all of the optionals
    Took tons of Vitamin C before I left
    Didn’t spend alot on alcohol
    Bought the tour photo
    Didn’t eat alot of junk food at the services
    Packed alot of jewellery to dress up outfits
    Packed “going out” outfits
    Packed a small pair of scissors, sewing kit, and nail kit
    Took 2 hoodies even though it was boiling hot
    Did London to Athens (some of our tour stopped in Rome, Corfu and Athens were the best part)
    Took a travel pillow

Things I should have done:
    Spent more money in Barcelona, because it had the best shopping
    Took a bigger suitcase (they weigh it at the beinnning, then never again, and they dont measure it)
    Packed more dressy shoes
    Packed an extra pair of flip flops
    Packed tape (its amazing how much you use it for)

ahhh there is so much more, but I hope this helps someone out

may I ask, what did you use tape for ???
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

we used them for nametags the very first day
    also good for taping up blisters, and for when your luggage decides to split

What you do is take a pen (the one you use for your journal) and wrap a couple of feet of duct tape around it.

• 7 May 2010 Jetsettr Rhiannon said

Jetsettr Rhiannon

Hi Jetsetters!

• I wish I’d prepared better for changes of weather.

For example, just because it’s spring or summer in Paris, doesn’t mean it’s going to be balmy like at home! I find now that layering clothing is a great way to prepare for different types of weather without having to carry bulky jumpers etc.

• Pack light but try and make room for at least one nice outfit for going out.

The majority of the time it’s great to be in casual, comfortable clothing – especially when you’re out for the whole day exploring a city or town but you’ll be glad you packed a pair of heels or mens shoes to keep up with those trendy Europeans!

• I wish I’d relaxed and gone with the flow more.

Afterall, some things are simply out of our control and mistakes can lead to great adventures! And when you get over it, you’ll have fantastic memories to laugh at for years to come!

• Hand sanitiser, an extra memory card, rechargeable batteries, learning at least the basics of the language to get you out of bother…

you could go on forever, but at the end of the day, it’s just about getting out there, respecting other people and their country and having fun!

Have a fantastic trip!

Jetsettr_Rhiannon
    http://www.jetsettr.com.au/blog/

• 8 May 2010 Sally said

Default_avatar

Just Bumping this post up – very useful.

• 10 May 2010 Explorer1168534 said

Default_avatar

Some things I learned on my trip:

INVEST IN A DIGITAL CAMERA! I took sooo many pics with mine, and it’s soooo much easier when you want to share them with people. Just don’t drop it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

GET A MICROFIBER TOWEL! Towels stink if they don’t dry, these towels dry super quick, and help a lot when you do hand laundry. You can put your wet clothes in them, and wring to get all the excess moisture out.

BRING A LAUNDRY BAG! You really don’t want to stick your dirty clothes with your clean ones, and you don’t want your shoes going everywhere. Laundry is time consuming, especially if you have to wait in lines. Just keep all your dirty stuff in a single bag, and grab that bag after you get into camp, and run to the washing machines Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> This can also be used later when you’re trying to cram all your souvenirs into your small bag.

FEBREEZE IS YOUR FRIEND! Wow, people smoke like chimneys in Europe, I’m so glad I had my little bottle of febreeze to spray away the stank Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

BRING PHOTOS OF YOUR FAMILY! Heh, I made some awesome friends on this trip, and I kept telling them about my little bros, just wish I had a photo to show them Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Also, bring coins from home, Ray and Christie gave me and Stace some aussie money, was pretty cool Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

HAVE A SOUVENIR THEME! Dang, If I could redo one thing this trip, it would be to get a patch from all the places we went. Me and Stace thought up the idea somewhere in Germany, and we missed out on all the prior countries. Oh well, we’ll just get them when we go back again!

INVEST IN A JOURNAL! Even if you don’t plan on creating a big website, it’s always nice to be able to go back and relive everything. Especially if your memory is anything like mine, and you can’t remember what you had for breakfast this morning.

ATM’S ARE YOUR FRIENDS! Forget travellers checks, credit cards, and carrying crazy amounts of money around with you. Get an ATM card. Make sure you have a 4 digit PIN or else you won’t be able to use it in Europe. You get the best exchange rates, and the peace of mind is awesome. Just don’t lose it.

PICTURES WITHOUT PEOPLE ARE BORING! Practice your self-shots with your digital camera. This is where you turn the camera around, and shoot yourself with the big landmark behind you Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

BRING SNACKS! Gum and candy and stuff are a great way to break the ice, and it’s great seeing those aussies trying out altoids. It also increases your popularity ten fold Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

GO ALONE! At the start of the year, a group of friends and I decided we wanted to do something big after we graduated. We all decided on going to Europe. As the year went by, everyone flaked out for one reason or another, and I ended up by myself, trying to get anyone to go with me. I’m sooooo glad that I went by myself. I totally got out of my shell, and exceeded my normal “comfort zone” to try out all these new things. I don’t think I would have had as much fun, or fallen in Love with Stace had a brought a friend :P Conversely, if you’re with a group, talk to other people! It’s a lot funner that way! Also, don’t be afraid of introducing yourself to that cute girl standing behind you… you don’t know what you might be passing up!

SAY NO TO FAST FOOD! You’re in Europe! Don’t hit up every single McDonalds when you can be having pizza, or bagguettes, or snails. Try to experience the culture, have some fun :P

LEAVE THE CAMP! Thanks to Woody, we were able to experience Munich and Amsterdam night life by leaving our hostels/hotels. It might cost a bit, but it’s sooo much fun, just don’t get so wasted that you won’t be able to get back.

READ UP ON THE PLACES YOU’RE GOING It impresses the girls. Don’t be like that guy from eurotrip though, that’s just plain annoying.

BRING A HACKEYSACK Even if you’ve never ever played before, you’ll get plenty of time to practice on your trip, and it’ll get others to join in as well. I think they should make it mandatory for every TM to have one to promote group togetherness Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

TAKE YOUR CAMERA EVERYWHERE! That’s a nobrainer, so I guess I should add to rule number one, get a smaller camera if at all possible. A lot easier to carry around.

BRING A DISPOSABLE CAMERA There are times when you can’t use a digital one, and it’s nice to have a backup… Just make sure you use it!

TAKE VITAMINS! They totally help. I’d start up a month prior to your trip, and all throughout your trip. Everyone always gets sick, do all that you can to prevent it.

DON’T BRING WHITE CLOTHES darks are a lot easier to maintain Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

HAVE FUN! I think that’s all I can think of for tips Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Just remember to have fun, and try to have NO REGRETS! If you’re asking yourself whether or not you want that leather jacket in Florence, buy it! You’ll have something to talk about each time you wear it, and it’ll remind you of all your travels.Heh, I mean cmon… where else can you get a t-shirt that says paris on it? Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 22 May 2010 ALESHA NZ said

ALESHA    NZ

thanks for that info was awesome to know a few things not to do and to remember!

• 24 May 2010 Kaitlyn said

Kaitlyn

This is greaqt Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> But any specific information about New Zealand? I’m going on my own i’m soo nervous, cause i’m a bit shy. Also a few questions
    -what happens on the first day, as in the meeting at the start, is there a get to know you type thing?
    -does New Zealand have Vegemite! he he
    -Can you change your mind about the optionals? umm i that’s all i can think of now, Thanks any info would be appreciated.

..Also what’s an altoid? lol someone wrote that on here just wondering

• 24 May 2010 Pervy said

Pervy

Kaitlyn you can get Vegemite in New Zealand, mind you it tastes just as bad as in Oz. Be better off having marmite.

• 24 May 2010 Kaitlyn said

Kaitlyn

ha ha that’s ok i love vegemite, i was just worried i wouldn’t have anything to put on my toast Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 24 May 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pervy:
    Kaitlyn you can get Vegemite in New Zealand, mind you it tastes just as bad as in Oz.

how true !!!

• 27 May 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kaitlyn:
    ha ha that’s ok i love vegemite, i was just worried i wouldn’t have anything to put on my toast Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Every place we stayed in NZ had toast for breakfast as an option and as far as I can remember they all had Vegemite!! :P

quote:
    Originally posted by Pervey:
    Be better off having marmite.

EW!!!! Marmite is disgusting!!!!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• More Discussions

Follow this Discussion