Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 15 Mar 2012 Maybellina said

Maybellina

Hey LauraM, thanks for your reply :) I am wondering, can you give me more information about the prepaid credit card? I know if I use my credit card in Europe, I will need to pay a fee each time…is that the same concept as prepaid credit card? Where can I get the card? Thanks again! :)

• 15 Mar 2012 Maybellina said

Maybellina

Hey LauraM, thanks for your reply :) I am wondering, can you give me more information about the prepaid credit card? I know if I use my credit card in Europe, I will need to pay a fee each time…is that the same concept as prepaid credit card? Where can I get the card? Thanks again! :)

• 15 Mar 2012 Sharna said

Default_avatar

hey Maybellina,… i would also go with multi cash passport………. I have one of those and I am going to Europe in June for 32 days……… my travel agent got it set up for me……. the first time you set it up you have to put minimum $100 on and the fee will b a once off 1% of amount u put on or $11 whichever is cheaper….. after that if you go to a travel agent and add money to your card that way you DONT pay any fees for reloading the card……. whereas if you BPAY the money onto the card you get charged fees……. anywhere in europe u DO NOT get atm or withdrawal fees with this card like u do with ur normal bank card and credit cards……. it accepted all over the world and can hold up to 10 crrencies at once…….. best idea!!!! you do need cash to pay for extras…. and a little to hold on you…

• 16 Mar 2012 Maybellina said

Maybellina

Thanks Sharna :) That’s another option! I will for sure look into it~

• 21 Mar 2012 FredtheTraveller said

Default_avatar

Hey, I wish I knew the per day rate of the travel insurance Contiki offers. Like if i were to take a 14 day tour to Europe what were the cost be?
    Thanks

• 21 Mar 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

In the US the price of the travel protection plan is based on the price of the tour – $129 if the tour is $1500 or less. Otherwise it’s $169.

• 22 Mar 2012 amalia said

amalia

Explorer1167007 – just relax and embrace it all :) lots of the people on tour will be 18-25 so just have fun.

• 24 Mar 2012 Canadian Girl said

Canadian Girl

Big Indochina Adventure: Asian Adventure + Vietnam Experience + Vietnam Highlights

I just got back from the Big Indochina Adventure in Southeast Asia and thought I would add my two cents. I found the discussion boards pretty useful before I left!

- bring hand sanitizer! I read this on here before I left…and I’m glad I did!
    - girls: don’t bring heels! You don’t need them. Everyone on my trip wore flip flops the entire time!
    - there seemed to be free wifi everywhere along the way! In the middle of nowhere. A lot of people brought their iphones/ipads/laptops and got pretty good use out of them. I didn’t take anything with me and just found internet cafes along the way. Internet cafes were in most places we visited, but I had to walk down the road a bit to find them (rather than people just using free wifi at hotel, etc.)
    - most people on our tour had wheeled luggage. There were a couple times (i.e. rolling my suitcase across sand at the boarder crossing between Thailand and Laos) where I thought a backpack would have been ideal, but overall I’m really glad I had wheeled luggage. I also had one of those suitcases with 4 wheels (one on each corner). If you’ve never used one – I would highly recommend it!
    - the Big Indochina Adventure combines the Asian Adventure, the Vietnam Experience, and the Vietnam Highlights tours.
    - don’t worry about having currency for each country – you can easily change your money at the borders
    - I was a bit worried before my trip that everyone else would have their visas arranged before the trip. A lot of people did the visas on entry.
    - on the Asian Adventure part of the trip there were only 2 girls travelling together; everyone else was travelling solo. If you are worried about travelling solo – don’t be. You are going to meet an awesome group of people and have some great friends by the end!
    - For packing – I grabbed a bunch of clear plastic bags that bed sheets come in to help with organization. I had one for shirts, one for shorts/pants, and one for dresses. For the first half of my trip everything was really well organized and easy to find.
    - hot air ballooning in Vang Vieng, Laos = awesome. It’s $70 US and worth doing.
    - leave room for all the stuff you are going to buy!!! I ended up buying an extra bag to bring stuff home.
    - If you are doing the Vietnam portion of the trip you will be going to a place called Hoi An. Hoi An is really well known for getting things tailor made. Clothes, Shoes, Jewellery!! I really wish I went there with a plan and pictures of what I wanted. They do have books you can look through at the tailors, but I could have used some extra time at home to plan it out better. For clothing, our group went to a place called “Yaly”, which is a bit more reputable. They are a little bit more expensive, but worth it. I bought 2 dresses at Yaly for $45 each. I also bought some dresses at a random shop down the road for $20. The measurements definitely weren’t as accurate and I might not wear some of the other dresses.

That’s it for now. If you have any questions let me know!
    Happy travels!

Canadian Girl

Deleted, duplicate post

Canadian Girl

Deleted, duplicate post

• 27 Mar 2012 Stacey said

Stacey

Hi everyone,
    I’m an Aussie and have only ever been to the snow once on a day trip. I’m doing the Winter Wanderer tour this year in October, so I’m pretty sure it won’t be snowing everywhere (someone please correct me if I’m wrong) but presumably it will be snowy in the Swiss alps? We only have one day there and I won’t be going skiing or anything (I don’t know how lol) but do I need proper ski pants or something if people want to go out and play in the snow? Or can I just wear leggings or something and dry them out if they get wet? Completely clueless about snow protocol haha.

• 27 Mar 2012 bas_tour said

bas_tour

Hey all. Glad I found this thread, it’s been a life-saver. Question: I’ve read a lot of stories on here about getting the “Contiki” cough or the flu. Any tips on how to avoid/deal with it if I catch something?

bas_tour

Hey all. Glad I found this thread, it’s been a life-saver. Question: I’ve read a lot of stories on here about getting the “Contiki” cough or the flu. Any tips on how to avoid/deal with it if I catch something?

bas_tour

bas_tour

bas_tour

bas_tour

bas_tour

bas_tour

Sorry for the seven posts. Browser problems.

• 28 Mar 2012 Jezzcar said

Jezzcar

Hey guys, I’ve read through every page of this thread, it’s been an amazing and really eye-opening read, however I was wondering if anyone had more advice in terms of the long-term camping trips in Europe as that is what I’m looking at doing in the future. Just things such as what you do really need and what you can live without, and really what the camping trips in general are like. Worthwhile experience or not? Thank you. :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.