Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 2 May 2012 Chad said

Default_avatar

Has anyone on here used a legit backpacking backpack? I have a North Face pack that I use for my backpacking excursions in the the backcountry. Can I get away with this? Or is it better to just use one of the suitcases with wheels? Thanks!

• 3 May 2012 TalissaB said

TalissaB

you can use a backpacking backpack. it comes down to personal preference really. Im taking a wheeled duffle bag as im too short and weak for a backpack but didnt want a suitcase (and couldnt find a cheap one). But if your camping a backpack would probably be easier, concept and timeout either one really.

but if your use to using a backpack then take it. Its better to know how your bag works, how it feels, how to quickly unpack and pack etc

• 4 May 2012 ello1620 said

ello1620

Wow, some incredible advice here!
    I’m doing two Contikis in June/July: ‘European Magic’, then ‘England and Scotland’. I know everyone says to pack light when it comes to clothing, but I imagine there will be a big difference in temperatures between Venice and the Scottish highlands! Any tips for packing when you need to take summery AND slightly wintery clothes? (I feel the cold very easily; even 18 C is ‘cold’ to me. Typical Aussie.)
    Also how secure are things left on the bus or in hotel rooms? I’ll be taking things like a laptop, would it be safe to leave that in my day pack on the bus when I’m out walking around (since it would be heavy to take with me)?

• 4 May 2012 Jezzcar said

Jezzcar

In regards to clothes I would suggest maybe packing a lot of lighter clothing and layering them on, however some people have said that inside buildings in Europe in colder places it is boiling and taking layers off can be draining, so it’s really up to what you would prefer. Lighter clothes and layering them versus heavier clothes that you probably won’t use for half your trip. Thermals are a good idea, in winter here (Aussie like you) I wore them underneath my uniform to school and they definitely helped a bit.

As for the security, I’m yet to do my first Contiki so I can’t give you much advice on that, but I have heard that buses and hotel rooms have been broken into before so it might be worth seeking advice from Contiki themselves on that matter.

I hope I was helpful. :)

• 4 May 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

Hotels and busses have been broken into, but they are rare occurences. For my suitcase I usually just locked it with any valuables inside. For the bus, the bus driver will usually tell you if you should or shouldn’t leave stuff on the bus. However, if he says yes and the bus happens to get broken into contiki’s not going to pay for your laptop, they’re t&c doesn’t cover that stuff. But if the bus driver says it’s safe it usually means he’ll be with the bus or another driver he knows will be watching the bus.

• 6 May 2012 ello1620 said

ello1620

Thanks for the replies Jezzcar and cdm115 – very helpful :)

Jase84, I’ll have seven hours in Bangkok between flights on my way home, so I asked my travel agent about what I should do while I’m there. She said that I’m better off just staying in the airport, since it would take so much time to get through airport security (to get out, and then back in)! So I’d also be interested to hear what others have to say about layovers. Otherwise it looks like 7 hours of quality reading. In the airport.

For those who have already been on a Europe tour in summer, I had one more question: at first I wasn’t even planning to take my swimmers and towel etc. But is the possibility of going swimming very likely? (I’ll only be touring for nine days though).

• 6 May 2012 Jezzcar said

Jezzcar

In regards to long layover times, the airports usually have a few things to keep you occupied, such as restaurants, awesome duty-free shopping and some other weird and wacky stuff related to the country you’ll be in. In Kuala Lumpur they have a miniature jungle area inside the airport that’s just like you were outside in the Malaysian jungle, it was really humid and a really neat experience. Here’s hoping your layovers will have something the same to keep you occupied. Most airports have free WiFi, so if you have a device that you can use to browse the net, fire away! :)

You should always take your swimmers! If you aren’t stopping at a beach, there’ll more than likely be a pool at wherever you are staying, and if the rest of your group decides to spend some time there, you’ll be left feeling awfully left out, which nobody wants!

Jase, I can’t answer all of your questions because I have never been on a Contiki, just answering from my own experiences. The bags, I’m unsure of, I’ve read they’re strict on the weight at the beginning of the trip, I don’t know how strict they are on the dimensions though.

Europeans usually learn a bit of English in school, but I suppose it depends on the people you encounter as to how much they know. A translator would probably be handy for need-to-know phrases. Some people get a little bit annoyed if you start speaking to them in English rather than their native language. As for taxis, write down where you’re staying or where you want to go on a piece of paper and hand it to the taxi driver, they should be able to get you where you need to be from that.

I don’t think you can use Euros everywhere, otherwise Contiki would not have specified the different currencies for the different countries. It may be a wise idea to get a Travelex card or something similar so that you can pay in different countries without worrying about having to carry a lot of different currencies on you.

The rest of your questions are kinda Contiki-related or I don’t really know anything about them so unfortunately I can’t answer those myself. It would be advisable to see a doctor before you go on your trip to get any vaccines you may need and discuss the “Contiki cough” with them to see what they suggest. I went through customs with prescription medication to go to Europe and they didn’t even check my bags, so you should be fine, as long as it’s in its original packaging with a prescription sticker on it or something like that.

I hope I was helpful! :)

• 9 May 2012 Megan said

Megan

Hey everyone! I went on European Inspiration from March 10th-31st this year. Any questions anyone has I will be happy to try and answer them.

OK, so #1 thing I wish I’d known – do not obsess over this thread before you go! Seriously, I read through the whole thing a week before I left and completely stressed out. Why? A) Everyone is going on about the Contiki Cough/Contiki Cold. Where I come from (Toronto,Canada), I don’t think you could get your doctor to issue you prescription meds “just in case”. I made sure I took multivitamins every day before and during the trip, I tried to eat well on the trip, I brought along Cold FX (it’s an immune system booster that you can take every day as prevention and also take it when you have a cold to speed along your recovery), and just regular painkillers/lozenges/etc just in case.
    Yes, a lot of people on the trip got sick, because spending that much time together, sickness will spread. I didn’t get a cough, just a little cold and part of that was partly allergies. I was better in a couple days and it didn’t affect my trip at all.
    But also, I’m Canadian and used to colder temperatures – so was able to dress for the weather, when some people on the trip just didn’t dress warm enough on the cooler days we had. Which would contribute to a lowered immune system. Also, I didn’t go out and party at night – nothing wrong with that, just that’s not me. And I got enough sleep and therefore, didn’t get too sick.

So my point is don’t worry!

B) I freaked out that everyone would want to go out drinking, clubbing, partying every night and I’d be left out. My opinion is that I came to Europe to see Europe, not to be hungover on my 1 day in Rome. Not only did I find others on my tour who shared my opinion, but even those who didn’t completely respected my decisions, didn’t judge me for it, and I didn’t feel left out at all. I just didn’t want to spend the money on cabs, club covers, drinks, etc, because I couldn’t afford it, and that was fine by me.

I kinda wish I’d brought a money belt – I ended up using this light jacket I have that has hidden inside pockets, so I could carry my passport, credit card, etc in there without worrying. It wouldn’t have worked out if it was summer though so definitely bring a money belt in summer just for peace of mind.

Re: weather – I’m Canadian and therefore do not find temperatures cold that most of the Aussies on my trip did :P But really, we had amazing, sunny, & warm weather a lot of the trip, even in March.

Also, I spent 2 weeks in England following the tour – in London for a few days, then visiting family in Brighton. I wish I’d done this 2 weeks before my 3 week tour. Why? I got used to travelling with a group of people (I’d gone solo), and it was hard going back to being alone afterwards, and I really missed Contiki and all my tour mates, and I just felt like going home and having home comforts and just reminiscing over photos and such. I got over it in a few days, but yeah, would’ve been better the other way around.

That being said, I’m glad I spent a few days in London following the tour, because it was cool to hang out with tour-mates who were also back in London.

I’m also glad I arrived in London a couple days before the tour- I flew from Canada on a Friday night and the tour started the Monday morning. Having that extra day to adjust to the time difference/rest was awesome.

oh, and bring lots of memory cards! I brought 2 8 GB ones (I have a DSLR camera as well), which was fine, but I was just worried i’d lose a card, so I wish I brought like 6 cards to switch around, for peace of mind.

I’m also glad I didn’t bring a laptop! I had my ipod touch for when there was free wifi. It was annoying using that to write emails, and it would have been nice to have an actual computer to use, and to upload photos, but on the whole it was better not having another piece of electronics to lug around/worry about.

If I think of more I’ll post it later! but yeah, my number one piece of advice is just, don’t stress out over this thread, or planning things to do in each place (my tour manager gave us lists of things to do, maps, etc so if you didn’t have something specific in mind for your free time, it wasn’t like you’d be wandering around lost!). Just look forward to your trip and the amazing memories you’ll have.

• 10 May 2012 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

awesome advice megan, i dont think i want to be hungover on my free days either.

How did you go with your budget? how much did u take over initially and did u use it all? etc. lol

Did u do all the optionals? any u think that aren’t worth it?

Thanks in advance :D

• 11 May 2012 Megan said

Megan

My trip was 5 weeks total and I had prepaid for extra hotels and a train pass and stuff beforehand. Plus I was staying with family in England for free for a bit :P. I didn’t really have an exact “budget”, persay, just used my regular credit card and bank account (though a lot of people had prepaid travel cards). I had money that I didn’t use, but that’s because I owed my parents money so didn’t want/need to spend everything I had. I’d say maybe I used $500 Canadian for admission/tickets, food, souvenirs, and to pay for optionals I added that I hadn’t planned on at first.

Some people brought more money, I guess it depends on you personally. For your own budget though I’d consider things like… how many souvenirs do you want to buy/what do you want to get? I collect postcards so that’s mostly what I got, other than a few other small things, and they don’t cost too much. Also, I didn’t bring too many gifts back for people. And I don’t tend to spend a ton on food. And I didn’t do too many things that were an extra or high admission cost. I did the Coliseum in Rome because, you have to :P I mostly stuck with free museums/attractions, or things that were cheaper, rather than stuff that cost 20/30 Euros to go into. And since I didn’t go out I saved money there – because that would’ve been 10-30 Euro cab rides back to the hotels, money for cover, drinks, etc. And in London, where I spent several days, I only bought transit passes, since I’ve been to London before with my family and have already done all the touristy stuff then.

Hope my explanation here makes sense? If you have any more questions let me know :)

Optionals – I did most but not all of them. Originally I wasn’t going to do all the optional meals, because I figured I could just find my own food for cheaper. But getting there, and seeing how the schedule for each day works out, and where the hotels are located, sometimes it was just easier to do the optional dinners. I didn’t do one dinner in Amsterdam, and ended up going out for dinner with a small group from the tour who also weren’t doing it – we went to a cheaper restaurant and had a great time.

I also didn’t do Moulin Rouge in Paris – 140 Euros is just way too much for me! A small group of us went out for dinner somewhere else instead, for 20 Euros. And we were still able to meet up with the group at a bar afterwards and still able to enjoy the last night of tour with everyone.

I’m glad I did all the optionals I did, and I don’t regret the few I didn’t do (Space Disco in Florence and Eye Spy in Berlin, which turned out to be just a pub crawl). Even if it wasn’t quite a spectacular meal or tour, it was still an experience. I’m so so glad I did going up Mount Pilatus in Switzerland- that was definitely my favourite optional.

• 11 May 2012 Megan said

Megan

also, which trip are you going on, Aleisha?? :)

• 12 May 2012 Aleisha91 said

Aleisha91

Awesome, thanks for that :)
    I feel better with the amount of money i have now
    Im doing Euro contrasts, 4th June

• 12 May 2012 Caraaa said

Caraaa

Im about to go on the European Adventurer and was wondering what anyone who’s already done a tour did with all their photos? im planning on uploading them at internet cafes and at the internet access at hotels or wherever i can get on one onto “Flikr” or uploading them to fb so it cleans out the memory on my camera so i can start snapping again! I also plan to upload them to a usb as well as back up incase i loose the photos somehow. Im not bringin a laptop so im relying on internet cafes or access where ever i can get it!

?

Caraaa

Im about to go on the European Adventurer and was wondering what anyone who’s already done a tour did with all their photos? im planning on uploading them at internet cafes and at the internet access at hotels or wherever i can get on one onto “Flikr” or uploading them to fb so it cleans out the memory on my camera so i can start snapping again! I also plan to upload them to a usb as well as back up incase i loose the photos somehow. Im not bringin a laptop so im relying on internet cafes or access where ever i can get it!

?

Caraaa

?

Caraaa

?

Caraaa

Sorry for the multiple posts! I dont know how to delete them either.. any advice would be much appreciated tho :) Thanks!

Caraaa

Sorry for the multiple posts! I dont know how to delete them either.. any advice would be much appreciated tho :) Thanks!

• 12 May 2012 willo said

Default_avatar

There is a simple, convenient and reliable answer to this: use memory cards.

You honestly do not want to waste your time sitting in internet cafes which will more than likely have slow internet speed uploading a couple of hundred high resolution photos to Facebook/Flikr. Internet/wi-fi is nowhere near as common in Europe as it is in places like the US and Australia/NZ.

Memory cards are so cheap now, so purchase yourself maybe four or five 8 gigabyte cards and keep your photos stored on them. I assume you’ll be using a regular hand-help point-and-shoot camera of around 10-16 megapixels (not a digital SLR or ‘professional’ camera which takes much higher resolution photos with massive file sizes). So at the end of every day or when you have a spare moment, go through the photos on your camera and delete the duplicates or blurry/dark/light ones to ensure you’re not using valuable memory.

The packaging on memory cards will tell you how many photos it will store. At a guess, I don’t think you would take (and actually keep) any more than 200 photos a day. When I was on tour last year (European Whirl), I had a Nikon D3100 DSLR and a Canon 14 megapixel point-and-shoot. Between the two, I took maybe 150 photos a day and deleted maybe a quarter of those.

I hope this helps.

• 14 May 2012 Caraaa said

Caraaa

Thanks for all that helpful info Willo! I plan on taking a couple of memory cards but just thought to be safe upload as well incase (god forbid) i loose any cards.. But i think ill just be careful and bring extras. Good to know the average amount of photos you took too..gives me a rough idea.

Cheers! :) Happy Travels..

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion