Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 16 May 2012 MattFoertsch said

MattFoertsch

I’m going on the European Panorama in June and I have a question about the bags/luggage.

-So that first day when you get on the bus and they weigh your bag, is it JUST your main bag? I plan to have one of the duffle bags with wheels, but ALSO (like a carry-on on the plane) a small Nike backpack with me as well. Is this just like at the airport in that they don’t count the extra little backpack/carry-on, or do they weight this as well?

Thanks if anyone can give me an answer to this.

• 17 May 2012 willo said

Default_avatar

Matt, it is only your main bag which is weighed (to be stored under the coach), whereas your backpack is not weighed and you take that on the bus with you.

Remember, your main luggage bag only has to fit within the stipulated weight restriction that one time. After that, it will not get weighed again.

• 17 May 2012 willo said

Default_avatar

Duplicate post

• 17 May 2012 willo said

Default_avatar

Duplicate post

• 17 May 2012 MattFoertsch said

MattFoertsch

OK, gotcha. Thanks man.

• 17 May 2012 mary_elizabeth said

mary_elizabeth

Matt, what date does your European Panorama leave? I’m also going on that tour – mine leaves on June 11. :)

• 17 May 2012 MattFoertsch said

MattFoertsch

I’m doing the June 30th one. You’ll have to pave the way and let me know what to do/not do a few steps ahead! :)

• 17 May 2012 amy_eb said

amy_eb

Wow, this thread is great, thanks to everyone who has contributed! I have a few questions…

I am leaving on July 6 on the Eastern Escapade – I would love to know how much spending money I need to comfortably enjoy the US. A rough amount per day?

Does anyone know much about the hotels we stay at during this trip? Let me know!

Also – what kind of weather will I be experiencing in July in North America – will it still be cool in Canada, but hotter further south, like in NYC?

Furthermore – I have a week in NYC after my trip, I would love to know any tips people have about exploring the city alone.

Thanks!

• 17 May 2012 kia88 said

kia88

I am going in October from Rome to Spain. I thinking of bringing a few long/dresses and maybe 1 pair of khaki pants. I dont want to over pack but don’t want to underpack. I tend to get cold faster than others so I will bring a light sweater or jacket as well. Do you think these items would be okay in these places in October? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

• 17 May 2012 Gurinder said

Gurinder

Hey Amy, Canada overall in the summer tends to get pretty hot, the eastern side tends to be more humid than the west, so since you’ll be in southern Ontario and Quebec, I say prepare for the humidity, average temps usually hit 70 F or 22ish C, but the humidity can get to you

• 17 May 2012 Jezzcar said

Jezzcar

I just had to comment and say how much I love that 22C is “hot and humid” for you. Try 113F. Good ol’ Australia.

• 18 May 2012 amy_eb said

amy_eb

Thanks lightning rodd – where I live we get to about 40C and humid in our heatwaves, so I will be ok in that weather I think! Thanks for your advice :)

• 18 May 2012 Gurinder said

Gurinder

Not a problem, although I would also recommend bringing a light sweatshirt or hoody just incase

Gurinder

Not a problem, although I would also recommend a light sweatshirt or hoody just to in case

Gurinder

Not a problem, although I would also recommend a light sweatshirt or hoody just to in case

• 18 May 2012 LauraM12345 said

LauraM12345

Living in Canada, Toronto area actually, it definitely gets warmer than 22 in the summer… It’s warmer than that this upcoming weekend. It gets into the 30s at points, but the humidity is the main thing. It can be a bit cooler in Quebec, but it’s always super variable for southern Ontario and Quebec. NYC is comparable to southern ontario in the summer, plus or minus a few degrees. Have a wonderful trip!

• 19 May 2012 Blue_Eyes131 said

Blue_Eyes131

Hey All!

I’m doing the London to Athens trip in August, and I’m trying to book my flights right now, but I have a question before I do. I was wondering if its worth it to spend a couple extra days in Athens at the end of the trip.

Also, any tips for a guy traveling on his own for this 23 day tour would be helpful.

Thanks.

• 19 May 2012 MattFoertsch said

MattFoertsch

OK, I have questions about sleeping in the coach:

1) How comfortable are the actual seats? Are they about like airplane seats as far as size and leg room?

2) Does anybody have any sleeping tips that they or someone on their tour used that helped them sleep better on the bus? I have a hard time sleeping in airplanes (no matter how tired I am), and am worried it will be the same on the bus. I have ear plugs and a good travel pillow.

3) Does the TM really play music the whole time? What about those who are trying to sleep!!?? In a past post on this thread someone was talking about make sure to bring your own ipod with good music otherwise you’re stuck listening to the TM’s music, which makes me think I’m gonna be trying to sleep and ppl will be playing music… :(

I’m kinda serious about needing some solid hours of Zzz’s (especially after a night of drinking) and I don’t wanna be a tired zombie the whole trip! Thanks for any helpful info ppl have about this!

• 21 May 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

sleeping tablets for the flight over may help. and ear plugs for the bus ride possibly?

• 21 May 2012 emily7 said

Default_avatar

I wasn’t able to sleep on the bus for the first few days. Until I got sick then I found it really easy, as I was so tired! I always find it hard to sleep on planes and the bus was the same! I guess just try your best and talk to people around you. My tm did play music, most of the time, I got used to it. After Amsterdam we were all so hungover, that he didn’t play any! Maybe just talk to yours. The seats are. A little more. Comfy than airplane seats also. Hope this helps

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.