Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 26 Aug 2012 Mach said

Default_avatar

Hi all

I did a European tour this summer and I visited this forum, and this specific post quite frequently so I thought I’d give back.

I wish …
    - I had brought a power bar or more electrical converters … I was powering a tablet, cell phone and DSLR and it was a pain to rotate the charger between them
    - I brought a nice shoulder bag or a day back pack. I was using my DSLR shoulder bag as my day bag and it was “okay” but it was pretty big so there were a lot of times I wish I had something smaller or comfortable to wear especially when I’m in crowds
    - I hadn’t packed so many ‘fancy’ clothes. I went out a few times to the bar to drink and no one really dresses up. I bought 3 fancy outfits… and 2 would have been more than enough
    - A small electric portable fan … I did the higher end tour and some of the hotels barely deserved a 3 star. Almost half of them didn’t have air conditioning which is brutal for Europe in the summer. You can open the windows but then bugs eat you up at night
    - Allergy meds. I packed prescription meds but some of the basic stuff I forgot. This one is probably very subjective depending on the individual lol.

I’m glad …
    - I brought my DSLR. This was a close one … but in the end, lugging around my DSLR with multiple lens made a big difference in some of the photos I took, esp in Rome and France. I just wish I had a more comfortable bag lol.
    - I did not bring my laptop. I have a Macbook Air and I bought a tablet instead. Almost all the hotels have wifi. But most of them you had to pay for it.
    - I didn’t go out drinking every night. A lot of people got pissed drunk and would puke on the bus which wasn’t so nice for all the sober people. Plus it ruins the experience if you’re dealing with a hang over.
    - I bought electrolyte powder … basically it’s like gatorade powder and on really hot long days I would mix a batch and put it in a water bottle
    - Bring a water bottle … water / drinks are expensive in Europe
    - I did all the optional excursions. Yah the food isn’t always the greatest but it’s kind of a pain to meet up with everyone if you don’t do one. Also, at night, there’s really nothing to do since most of the hotels you are in are not near main attractions.

That’s all I can think of for now so if I have any I’ll add some later

• 26 Aug 2012 Mach said

Default_avatar

Oh yeah, buy a travel pillow. The micro-bead ones. And a sleep mask and ear plugs. Those are life-savers on some of the long bus rides.

• 3 Sep 2012 kia88 said

kia88

Just out of curiousity.. how often does Rome lose luggage? Did anyone on your tour have their luggage lost and how long did it take to get it back??

• 3 Sep 2012 kia88 said

kia88

Just out of curiousity.. how often does Rome lose luggage? Did anyone on your tour have their luggage lost and how long did it take to get it back??

• 3 Sep 2012 Megan said

Megan

No one on my tour had any of their luggage lost in Rome, nor did we have any issues with Fiumicino as a whole – it’s a nice enough airport, no complaints. But honestly I think it depends just as much on the individual airline as it does on the airport. I ended my tour in Rome and had to get a cab to the airport from my hotel, which was quite far – it ended up costing 50 Euro. Later, I found out that in Italy, cab drivers aren’t supposed to charge more than 40 Euro if they’re taking you to the airport. Something to keep in mind so you don’t get ripped off like I did!

• 23 Sep 2012 Jay said

Jay

Explorernicole91, mine was confirmed within about 6 weeks of making my booking I think. I booked at Jan 13 departure in April 2012, so I was way early haha. Don’t be too concerned about it, but email Contiki if it’s still not confirmed now.
    Have fun!

• 23 Sep 2012 Jay said

Jay

Duplicate, sorry!

• 29 Sep 2012 Jessica said

Default_avatar

Hi all, just found this discussion 1 year after my tours around the UK and Europe. In saying that, I’m planning on another tour next year so I’m taking all this advice to heart.

Things I’m glad I brought:
    - my laptop
    - book
    - ipod (couldn’t live without it)
    - tissues
    - panadol
    - deck of cards (spent 8 hours stuck on the bus during the snow storm that hit London in Dec 2010)
    - water – you will get very dehydratyed very quickly. Alcohol makes dehydration worse not better

Things that I wish I had known:
    - The louve is not open everyday – missed out of seeing it for the second time due to what day it was in Paris
    - buy snack food/drinks for the bus at a supermarket when you stop in a bigger town. Buying stuff at the service stops becomes expensive real quick
    - If you want to drink and still save money, have some alcohol in your luggage and get together with your new friends before you go out for the night. Particularly in Europe/UK alcohol is very expensive.
    - Always carry coins around Europe for when you need the toilet and have to pay
    - bring cold and flu medication – decongestent spray for the clogged nose you WILL get. always carry tissues in your handbag
    - Dont sit near people who have spent the night drunk – vomit on a bus is a very diffucult thing to deal with
    - Break the ice sooner – dont sit with the same people on the bus
    - bring a neck pillow for the bus
    - Everyone has said it, but pack lighter

Tips for everyone:

Almost everyone loves an Aussie, it can get you free drinks cheaper rides and break the Ice with comp-lete strangers. Be a proud Aussie. *

- Go the an Australian bar/resturant/themed place – guarentee it’s nothing like Australia or our pubs etc but it’s still good for a laugh
    - Try the language of the country you are in. The locals appreciate that more than if you dont.
    - Hand gestures can be a life saver
    - Be prepared to tell your ice breaker story (hi I’m … from … and I’m a …) 100 times

• If you are planning on a big night out in Amsterdam and will be flying out the next morning (or going through customs) be prepared to wash or throw out the clothes you were wearing that night. I could not get the smell of weed out of my jacket – ended up leaving it in the hotel rather than risk airport security.*

and finally to Quote Stella; my tour manager for the Winter Wanderer for when you see something different/unusual
    “It’s not wrong, it’s just different”

Everything is an adventure, keep an open mind, enjoy the experience

Have fun :)

• 30 Sep 2012 Georgie said

Georgie

To what Jessica just said:
    About the clothes smelling for when you go through customs, is this an issue when traveling back to London from Amsterdam on the transfer, or only if flying home from Amsterdam ?
    Has anyone had any problems involving this?

Georgie

Duplicate

Georgie

Duplicate.

Georgie

Duplicate

• 30 Sep 2012 Jessica said

Default_avatar

Hey Georgie,
    I’m not sure whether it is acutally an issue (unless you are smuggling drugs back accross the border), but I wasn’t about to risk anything. I flew out of London the next night and still had the smell of marijuana stuck in my hair (despite washing it several times) and I didn’t smoke or take anything.
    In saying that. I also knew that any drug offence would result in me automatically losing my job and my registration with the health department. I also come from a family of cops who have drilled into me time and time again about drugs and customs and how risky it can be when you’re coming from a place well known for smuggling (amsterdam, bali etc…)

So this might just be me being unnecessarily cautious, but I prefer to lose some clothes rather than risk my career. Other people might have a different opinion.
    Jess

• 30 Sep 2012 emily7 said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone
    So I did the European horizon tour in may this year. It only goes for 10 days and at the time I thought that was good for me as I wasn’t in Europe for long, next time ill do a longer tour.

I wish
    I wish I packed lighter. I brought a lot of pairs of shoes, 2 ballet flats, one walking shoes, 2 heels and boots! No one on my tour wore heels, even on our fancy Parisian dinner. It’s too hard walking on the cobblestones and hills.
    I wish I’d packed for summer!! I’m an Aussie so I have a lot of summer clothes, but I went to England before contiki and it was freezing there and raining all the time. I assumed Europe would be the same. We had days of 25-35 degrees!
    I wish I moved around more on the bus and had gotten to know people earlier! I made some good friends at the end of the tour and then had to as goodbye!
    I bought more food for the bus, everything was expensive at the petrol stops, so I’d recommend buying food from supermarkets or before going on tour.
    I got really sick from the ‘contiki cough’ although its more like bronchitis!!! Be extra prepared and then prepare some more!! I had basic cough and cold stuff, Panafon etc. that lasted no time at all, especially since everyone’s sick so everyone shared.
    I wish I did the Switzerland mountain trip! It was about 250swiss francs, but everyone who did it loved it. I was really sick at that stage so didn’t want to risk getting sicker plus I wanted to feel better for Paris and our last days.
    I wish I didn’t do the Parisian cabaret show, it was boring but I think I was comparing it to a sex show, as we did that first. Only half the tour did this optional and most of my friends didn’t.

I’m glad
    I did most of the optionals, the ones I did we’re awesome! The water a rafting especially! The optional dinners were okay during some of them I was too sick to eat anyways, but it was easier than having to find
    your own way to a restaurant.
    I’m so glad that I climbed the Eiffel tour at night, the view was spectacular and we missed the huge lineups.
    I’m absolutely ecstatic that we found a back entrance to the louvre and didn’t have to line up at all. If you are lucky enough to have a British or euro passport you get in for free here!
    I’m glad I tried everything in Amsterdam, this was our first tour night and got to know everyone here! Was one of the best nights

There’s probably a lot mores could say, but I’ll leave it for now

I want to do another tour next year, I’ll do a longer one though, as I hated having to ride on the bus for so long, and being in one place for sometimes barely more than a night.
    I’d recommend going with friends, but getting to know everyone as well.
    Also bring a double euro adapter as some Americans found that their straighteners wattage was too high and blew the fuse on theirs! So I lent my straightener and adapter around.

Default_avatar

Hey everyone
    So I did the European horizon tour in may this year. It only goes for 10 days and at the time I thought that was good for me as I wasn’t in Europe for long, next time ill do a longer tour.

I wish
    I wish I packed lighter. I brought a lot of pairs of shoes, 2 ballet flats, one walking shoes, 2 heels and boots! No one on my tour wore heels, even on our fancy Parisian dinner. It’s too hard walking on the cobblestones and hills.
    I wish I’d packed for summer!! I’m an Aussie so I have a lot of summer clothes, but I went to England before contiki and it was freezing there and raining all the time. I assumed Europe would be the same. We had days of 25-35 degrees!
    I wish I moved around more on the bus and had gotten to know people earlier! I made some good friends at the end of the tour and then had to as goodbye!
    I bought more food for the bus, everything was expensive at the petrol stops, so I’d recommend buying food from supermarkets or before going on tour.
    I got really sick from the ‘contiki cough’ although its more like bronchitis!!! Be extra prepared and then prepare some more!! I had basic cough and cold stuff, Panafon etc. that lasted no time at all, especially since everyone’s sick so everyone shared.
    I wish I did the Switzerland mountain trip! It was about 250swiss francs, but everyone who did it loved it. I was really sick at that stage so didn’t want to risk getting sicker plus I wanted to feel better for Paris and our last days.
    I wish I didn’t do the Parisian cabaret show, it was boring but I think I was comparing it to a sex show, as we did that first. Only half the tour did this optional and most of my friends didn’t.

I’m glad
    I did most of the optionals, the ones I did we’re awesome! The water a rafting especially! The optional dinners were okay during some of them I was too sick to eat anyways, but it was easier than having to find
    I’m so glad that I climbed the Eiffel tour at night, the view was spectacular and we missed the huge lineups.
    I’m absolutely ecstatic that we found a back entrance to the louvre and didn’t have to line up at all. If you are lucky enough to have a British or euro passport you get in for free here!
    I’m glad I tried everything in Amsterdam, this was our first tour night and got to know everyone here! Was one of the best nights

I want to do another tour next year, I’ll do a longer one though, as I hated having to ride on the bus for so long, and being in one place for sometimes barely more than a night.
    Also bring a double euro adapter as some Americans found that their straighteners wattage was too high and blew the fuse on theirs! So I lent my straightener and adapter around.

Default_avatar

Hey everyone

I wish

I’m glad

Default_avatar

Hey everyone

I wish

I’m glad

Default_avatar

Hey everyone

I wish

I’m glad

Default_avatar

Hey everyone

I wish

I’m glad

• 15 Oct 2012 Steveybaby said

Steveybaby

i wish i got to know my group faster
    i wish i got some more vans shoes
    i wish i took more photos

More Discussions