Community_discussions_small  

Question Featured_post

What do you wish you'd known?

18 Jul 2007 ashleightara asked

ashleightara
I'm curious to know what ppl wish they'd known before they went on their trips, and only discovered afterwards...

For example,
Did you miss something in a town you wish you'd known about?
Did you pack something, and never used it?
Did you NEED something you didn't pack and had to go in search of it?

In particular, looking for different advice to what is already available on the board...share you experience so others can learn from you 'mistake'.

Thanks Smiler
  • 31 Jan 2009 Kat said

Default_avatar

Wow, lots of great advice! This was the only thread I read completely through and I’ll definitely post after I get back from my tour.
    Thanks a bunch everyone!

• 1 Feb 2009 Ally said

Default_avatar

I wish that I had known to get physically fitter before I left and to take loads of vitamins to prepare for the longer tours, or any of the camping tours, since the Contiki cough can really take you down! I also know now to go on my own for my next tour, as I am naturally shy and made far fewer friends on my trip by going with my sister, as we stuck together too much. I’m looking forward to getting out of my comfort zone in the USA.

• 1 Mar 2009 Kat said

Kat

hey all
    this thread has some really good tips it kinda maks me feel a bit more at ease about what i’m planing on packing, With the question about the aussie waether it realy is differ all over but my tip is ware layers, there easy to take off and put on when your cold cos it will change.

• 4 Mar 2009 Lauz - lets get crazy said

Lauz - lets get crazy
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jodie:
    Bump… this is a good topic. Its helping me to compose a list.

laura x

• 5 Mar 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

Hey guys, firstly thank you all for the feedback i dont think i could’ve gotten better or more detailed info anywhere else.

I’m doing the european vista (timeout) tour on the 18th July and was wanting to ask for your opinions on wheter on not i should book a single room.

I have read a few comments on this forum from people saying they wish they had booked single rooms. I have heard that it can iscolate you from everyone but at the same time it would be good to have a place to chill out in.

Could anyone advise whether it would be a good idea to book a single?

any advise would be great. cheers ; ) lex

• 22 Mar 2009 Casey said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the great advise Sal – best post yet! It hadn’t even occured to me that a sport chamois would be better than a towel for starters! Cheers!

• 4 Apr 2009 Mands said

Default_avatar

This is an awesome thread. It has give me some great ideas. I am travelling to Europe in May and doing the European Escapade Tour. Can’t wait.
    Thanks again for all the great advice. Wooo Hooo Euro 2009

• 12 Apr 2009 EuroSteph said

EuroSteph

Hey I’m going Euro Inspiration 14th Dec 2009- 1 Jan 2010.

So far from what I’ve read this is what I’m planning on Packing. I’ve been to Europe in Winter before aswell.

Clothes
    Winter Jacket
    Jumper
    Zip Up Hoodie
    Swimmers
    3 Pairs of Jeans
    Track Pants
    Tops
    Bras & Undies
    Singlets
    Socks
    1 or 2 Dresses
    Inside Jacket
    Scarf
    Gloves
    Mittens
    Beanie
    Beret

Shoes
    Calf Length Boots (Small Heel)
    Short Boots
    Thongs
    Uggs

Toiletries
    Toiletry Bag
    Toothpaste
    Tooth Brush
    BO Killer
    Lip Balm
    Bug Spray
    Make Up – Costume Make Up
    Moisturizer
    Hair Ties
    Hair Brush
    Comb
    Tissues
    Hankys
    Sunscreen
    Bobby Pins
    Meds
    Pain Killers
    Hand / Make Up Wipes
    First Aid Kit – Bandaids
    Travel Sickness Pills
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Face Cleanser
    Body Wash
    Travel Hair Dryer-Buy one there
    Straightener – Using Travel Partners
    Vitamins
    AntiBiotics
    Nail Clippers
    Tweezers
    Nail File

Miscellaneous
    Clock
    Sunnies
    Plastic Bags
    Washing Powder
    Sewing Kit
    Pens, Journal
    Mobile
    Phone Charger
    Camera
    Camera Charger
    Extra Camera Battery
    Extra Camera Memory Cards
    Watch
    Wallet
    Travel Pouch
    Day Bag
    Book
    DS
    Ipod
    Drawing Materials
    Adapters
    Jewellery / Accessories
    Travel Pillow
    Small Blanket / Sheet for bus
    Ear Plugs
    Eye Mask
    Knee Brace
    Sticky Tape
    Zip Lock Bags
    Space

• 15 Apr 2009 Niksta said

Niksta

This thread has been so helpful! Things I didn’t think of are now stuff I know I need to pack. I wasn’t planning on taking my multi-vitamins but after hearing nearly everyone mention the contiki cough, consider them packed!
    We’re flying out in 2 weeks for the London to Rome leaving May 21st! Can’t wait! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 16 Apr 2009 geekmagnet said

Default_avatar

I’m really glad someone thought of this topic. I enjoy photography and will be bringing my digital SLR camera on my trip. Just wondering if anyone regretted bringing a tripod?

• 22 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

What a great post…any more?

• 29 Apr 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

I definitely want to hear from more contiki alum!

• 5 May 2009 Katie said

Katie

Hi all.I been tossing weather to take video camera or not any thoughts on if it good idea or bad idea,thanks Katie Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 May 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

Hey Katie, take the video camera. Photos are good but watching the footage of a tour mate doing a crazy dance on the bus or the likes is priceless.

• 5 May 2009 purplekombi said

Default_avatar

I wish I’d known to take compression socks – my ankles got so swollen after about a week of long days on the bus and I’ve never had trouble with swelling on flights etc.

There were a couple of other girls on my tour with the same problem – so will definately be adding them to my packing list for my next trip.

• 8 May 2009 Katie said

Katie

HI pervy,thanks so much was thinking the same thing,it once in life time thing so i htink i heading towards yes Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 19 May 2009 Explorer1135594 said

Default_avatar

Im definately taking DVT prevention stockings. They saved my life on my last trip, nothing worse than walking on swollen feet

• 20 May 2009 Alana said

Alana

Thanks everyone for all the amazing advice! What an awesome topic! I now have a great list of things to take which I would have never thought of – can’t wait for my euro experience trip Sept 12 2009, cheers Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 May 2009 DzinerGirl said

Default_avatar

I will probably add to this later but having just arrived home after doing a Euro Explorer with Greek Island Cruising. I wish I had known…

* to budget for using the toilet! and to always carry coins in the correct currency on me

* that there were optionals available on the cruise part of the trip so I could have budgeted for them (PM me if you want to know where to find this info)

• 7 Jun 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

hey guys just wanted to say a BIIIIIIIIG thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum…i’m doing my first contiki in july (euro vista) and i was petrified about not knowing what to bring, what to expect and or packing the wrong stuff all together!

I have now purchased my luggage (packsafe), took in all the packing tips about what to bring and what not to bring and i feel a lot more prepared to face this trip solo!

so thanks again, this forum has made a world of difference to me : )

A few questions…

1. Do i need to bring a hairdryer in the middle of summer? I have really long (down to my waist) thick hair and i normally just put it up in summer and it curls naturally but i might wanna straighten my hair one night to go out. do i really need to bring it along with me (extra weight) or can I use the ones in the hotel rooms? are they even strong enough?

2. does anyone know if we have to pre purchase tickets to the eifel tower and the louvre? or is it included with the european vista tour?

3. also, im obsessed with shoes, i have different shoes for every second outfit. im worried ill end up packing 5 diff pairs of shoes, (3 pairs of heels, thongs, sports shoes, and tennis shoes for walking) is this too much???

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.