Community_discussions_small  

Comment

22 day camping questions - i have just returned - please ask away

2 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar
hi, i have just returned from 22 day camping - 5 th june

i had a great time, and i would be happy to help anyone else with any questions you may have before your trip, so please ask as much as you like and i will try and help
  • 29 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey guys/gals, thanks so much for all your questions.
    i hope this is helping you all. dont forget to know if my answers are helping.

Please rest assured, you have picked the best company to go touring with, and you will all have a most awesome time, just like my tour had.

i know its easy for me to say, but there is honestly no need to get nervous, as long as you do a little planning in advance.

after i have answered your most recent questions i will run through a few things for you to plan

Default_avatar

hi Mia, nope i wasnt cold at night. dont forget your pjs, and a nice sleeping bag and you will be cozy at nights.

contiki provide you with your own airbed, which is yours for the entire trip, and they even have a few pumps to blow them up with.

i highly reccomend you buy or take a nice pillow with you, as this will be the key to a good nights sleep. you can get some decent ones from a camping shop or internet. i got one from blacks, which rolls up in a little bag

hope this answers your question, any more?

Default_avatar

hi Daniel, so here goes

the campsites were great, some were a little basic, but they all had showers and toilets, all with washing facilities. most have a little shop(to get beer). i didnt have any muddy campsites. now you will be sleeping in a tent, which is comfortable, and will be yours for the entire trip, so keep it clean. you will share with someone else for the whole trip so select the close friend wisely if your not taking someone with you.

the excursions will be arranged by your amazing tour manager. this will be organized on the coach while traveling between countrys. you will get a list and prices to choose from with your tickets. the ONLY way to pay will be in cash and will be in the currency for the trip ie euros or swiss francs, it will be clear when you get your list. i took every excursion, and did not regret any of them

yes, you will leave your clothes bag in your tent, some people locked them, but you wont be leaving anything valuable in them, so you shouldnt need to worry. if someone wants to nick your dirty undies let em. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE carry your passport and money on you at all times in a money belt, your tour manager will advise you of this on your first day. you will also carry a day pack with you round most cities, so your ipod and other bits can go in there.

Default_avatar

daniel, so to carry on

i forgot to mention none of our stuff got stolen, no tents ripped or anything like that.
    the campsites are pretty safe, just dont leave anything valuable in them.

while were discussing currency, please dont carry too much around with you. i found the best way, was to have enough for 1or2days and have the rest on a cash passport. i think you can get these in most countrys now. basicaly you load them at home with euros and while away put them in an atm and get a bit more out at a time.

i wouldnt like to advise how much money to take, because if i say too much you might panick you dont have enough, or you might not take enough. best advice is to take what you can afford, you will be able to budget it. again the good guys from contiki will give you a spending guide with your tickets, or im sure there are plenty of brave souls on here who will offer advice on spending.

laundry – every site has a laundry, taking your own powder or laundry tablets is easier. the only thing is finding enough time to wash your clothes. i advise taking a little laundry bag to store your really dirty clothes, so the minute your tent is up, you can stick it in washing machine, and beat everyone else. the rome campsite has a service wash. you pay them to wash your clothes. it is really cheap, about the same cost as doing it yourself – so get all your clothes washed – just be carefull as they put all your clothes in 1 machine, so no red t shirts(switzerland tshirt) in with your best white clubbing shirt. lol

dont forget to take a washing line to hang your towel on.

the best place to charge ipod/phone etc is the washroom, sometimes laundry or the coach. however you need to stay with your items on campsite in washroom or laundry.
    and there is only 4 sockets on coach, between about 46 people. your tour manager might do a rota system. good luck it would be good if you took a multi adaptor – 2 sockets in 1

hope i answered your questions ok, do you have anymore???

• 31 Jul 2007 Scott Mayston said

Default_avatar

Hey boys and girls. Im goin on the 22day. Aug 14. Just thinkn, are we able to leave any items locked in the bus? Say, if we were going out clubing

• 31 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey scott, no i dont think so.

we werent allowed to keep anything on the bus, for security reasons of the bus.

but, i advise you ask your tour manager on the first day.

have a great time.

• 1 Aug 2007 danieljoce said

Default_avatar

Hi sorry just one more
    Can you pay for your optional extras right at the start? I exchanged a bit of money but dont want to be holding it the hold time

• 1 Aug 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

On average how much did you spend per day (in Euros)?

chrz

• 3 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

your tour manager may not want to collect all
    your optional money the first day, but within the first couple of days should be ok.

the best thing to do is ask your tour manager on the first day.

i hope you have decided to do all/most of the optionals as they are good value for money(in my opinion)

• 3 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

roughly on average i spent around 60 euros, but some days i spent more

your going to find of an evening you are either eating at campsite or having an optional dinner, so you want spend much on evening meal.

and after a long day exploring you wont be out too long drinking.

after a few beers around tents, you might be ready for bed

a few guys and gals went out most nights so they must of spent double what i spent

just take as much as you can afford, im sure you will spend it, and if its not much you will get by.

• 3 Aug 2007 miss.fifty said

Default_avatar

hey,

wow finally some helpful advice on camping thank you very much!
    i havent decided wether to do a camping tour or not but my question is did you use a money belt for passports, valuables etc?
    and in the event you went swimming what did you do with your valuables then?
    uh i think thats all for now

thx

• 4 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi miss fifty, thank you for that comment, i am trying to be as helpfull as i can be.

yes, i did wear a money belt. i had my passport, some of my money and my cards in there. they advise you carry your passport with you at all times, and so i did and after a while you get used to it. if you go swimming (probably in nice and swimming pool at rome campsite) you ask one of your friends to look after it or take it in turns. it is just not worth doing anything else with your passport.

i cant urge you enough to go camping as it is so much fun. you take a supercook with you who cooks up the most amazing meals(worth going camping alone) because you are in a little group of tents the whole group bonds so well, you will have 46 close friends at the end. YOU WILL HAVE SO MUCH FUN. switzerland campsite was just incredible…. any more questions

• 6 Aug 2007 jackski said

Default_avatar

Hey darthilicious, just one questions. When you go swiming or to the beach what did you do with your passport and stuff like that?

• 6 Aug 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

If you read the post IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOURS you will find he JUST answered that question.

quote:
    Originally posted by darthilicious:
    yes, i did wear a money belt. i had my passport, some of my money and my cards in there. they advise you carry your passport with you at all times, and so i did and after a while you get used to it. if you go swimming (probably in nice and swimming pool at rome campsite) you ask one of your friends to look after it or take it in turns. it is just not worth doing anything else with your passport.

• 11 Aug 2007 Jaybe said

Default_avatar

Hi,

My partner and i are going on the 22 day camping tour leaving the 4th of Septemeber and are having a ‘test pack’ and are worried we dont have enough room in our cases…

Does anyone know, does the sleeping bag have to be in the suit case or can we have the suit case plus sleeping bag plus your hand luggage for the bus???

Please help…. i still want to pack more things….

• 11 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi, i hope you both have a great time

now im pleased to give you some good news

yes, you can take your sleeping bag seperate, plus your day bag. plus your clothes bag

but please be aware, they are very strict on weight on suitcase/holdall(clothes bag)

they weigh them the first morning you leave before loading the coach so be warned

any more questions

• 11 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

by the way guys and gals, if you find my advice helpfull please tell everyone else who is going on your tour about me here

i will be happy to help

• 21 Aug 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

They do not measure suitcases unless they appear to be massively oversize. However they are EXTREMELY picky about the weight of your suit case, at the start of your tour be sure your case weighs no more than 20KG (44LBS). They weigh and tag all main suitcases on a digital scale on the morning of the tour departure from London (so if it’s 20.1 kg or 44.1 lbs, it’s NOT going on the bus)

• 21 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey, so somebody has already answered your case question.

top tips

take medication with you
    cough and cold stuff, plus vitamins
    you will catch a cold so be prepared for it

take a washing line to hang your towel between tents

you must use a money belt to hold your passport

just quickly read through my other tips on here from page 1

dont forget to have a great time

any more questions?

• 21 Aug 2007 danieljoce said

Default_avatar

hey, i was wondering how strict they are about the suitcase sizes, ours is 70cm which is sweet but then its got wheels which technically make it 76cm tall, should i take the wheels off or are they ok?

we leave in 10 days, any last minute advice you can think of?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion