Community_discussions_small  

Comment

22 day camping questions - i have just returned - please ask away

2 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar
hi, i have just returned from 22 day camping - 5 th june

i had a great time, and i would be happy to help anyone else with any questions you may have before your trip, so please ask as much as you like and i will try and help
  • 22 Aug 2007 wek07 said

Default_avatar

Hi, this advice is excellent,
    I am just wondering, do they weight our day packs/ sleeping bag with our suitcase or just the suitcase by itself?
    Thanks! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Aug 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

It’s my understanding that the sleeping bag is separate and is not weighed and can travel outside your suitcase under the bus, rather than in your suitcase.

• 22 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi. they will only weigh your suitcase.

they didnt weigh the day bag or sleeping bag.

did you read my advice about taking a small pillow, it will make all the difference to the sleep you have

• 22 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

would someone like to rate the little advice thing i have going on here.. be kind

• 23 Aug 2007 Emski said

Default_avatar

hey there, me and my bf are going on this camping tour…hella excited, we are taking travellers cheques as we heard it was easy, is this a good idea?? or would u recommend something else..since you have been over (and we havnt even been overseas) we dont know how convenient they actually are???

• 24 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi emski. travelers cheques are a good way to take money abroad. however a lot of people on my tour including myself took a cashpassport instead and we all found it more convenient.
    basicaly you load on money onto card before you leave home and you can use it to withdraw money out of cashpoint machines abroad. it is more convenient than looking for a bank every time. most campsites have a cashpoint(but not all).
    i got my cashpassport from a travel agents. if not go onto www.cashpassportcard.com to fine out your nearest agent. take a small amount of currency as well – if your going to switzerland or czech republic dont forget a small amount of money for that country – in switzerland you may choose to go on optional excursion(cog railway) you will need to pay in swiss francs for that – i went on it and despite the price it is worth it. does this answer your question

• 26 Aug 2007 Jaybe said

Default_avatar

Hi,

On the Europe Advise Page, there is some discussion about PREBOOKING entry ticktes to the Vatican etc etc …

Did you prebook, what major sites & attaractions did you go to? Were the lines long, did you miss out on anything because of long lines? How did it all work???

• 26 Aug 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

lol. your on holiday, dont worry about pre-booking
    mostly all the things you would need to pre-book is the optional excursions which your tour manager will take care of.

if there is something you want to see, just check with your tour manager as they usualy have a tip few q jumping or best place to buy ticket.

i think the longest q was the eiffel tower – to go all the way up – it will take hours

we took the stairs to first platform, and didnt need to q. it gave you a reasonable view

if in doubt, ask your tour manager before you arrive into the country – thats why you will tip them – so use them – they will make your holiday

we didnt have to pre book vatican, although we was in q for 2 hours i think, but well worth it.
    take a decent sun hat and sun cream

• 8 Sep 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

im still around to answer any questions anyone may have about contiki camping..

however silly you may think your question is, i bet someone else is also wondering the same thing

so, come on and ask

and if your one of those people who have not registered on this site – come on in, log on and ask me those questions – it may make a big difference to your holiday

im waiting…….

• 29 Sep 2007 Julz said

Default_avatar

hey there Darth. iv found this forum really helpfull.thank you. im thinking about doing one of the camping tours around may, june 08. i havent decided weather i want to do a 22 day, 36 day, or 45 day tour.
    iv only ever been camping for like a week at a time maximum so im a bit nervous about being stuck in a tent for a month or so .
    have you ever done a concept contiki tour ? what would u recomend ? concept or camping ? i have done a concept tour around australia in 05 and will be doing 3 concept tours around USA and a trek america tour around canada in dec-feb so think its time i came back down to earth and save some $$$ so am thinking camping is the way to see europe .
    did your tour group go out at night much?
    once you have choosen a mate to camp with in your tent do u have to stay with that person throughout the tour ?
    what kind of food did the supercook make?
    sorry bout all the questions.

cheers

Julia

• 1 Oct 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey julz, im glad you find this helpfull, thanx for saying so, i try to help

camping was fantastic, no i havent done a concept tour but from what i have heard camping is better because you gell as a group more and tend to do most things together(a good team spirit) its more of a party

3 weeks camping went so quick, although i dont think i could do much more as putting up/taking down tents and flap drying was wearing a bit thin by the end – but you have to decide if you dont mind putting up with it and seeing loads more of europe.

dont forget it is so cheap, you might as well do it while you are still young

ok, now on to tent buddies, i was lucky and met a great bloke( a big shout out to all south africans), so didnt need to change. i would be surprised if you needed to change, but im sure if you spoke to your tour manager, and didnt get on with your tent buddie they would sort something out for you. dont forget they will be after a tip at the end so im sure it wont be a problem

did my tour go out at night- YES, EVERY NIGHT – it is completly your choice to go out or not, and some nights you get an optional tour/meal which are well worth doing. i managed most nights, but you might need a night in to catch up with your washing(at rome the camp site have a service wash(you pay them to wash all your clothes for you)(bloody cheap-do it all)
    i would try and go out most nights as you can sleep on the coach – but totaly your choice – PARTY-PARTY-PARTY

and finaly the food
    our super cook was
    GEORGIACELEBRITY SUPERCOOK

Georgia is the most amazing girl/cook i have ever known
    the only way to describe the food – it was amazing – which if you go concept you will miss.
    for breakfast you had a hot and cold breakfast – including cereal, fruit and juice
    and the dinners were as amazing – you always get 2 courses either starter/dessert and a main course
    obviously menus change subject to cook, but im sure you will be impressed

i hope this helps, any other questions, or anything you are still unsure on

• 2 Oct 2007 Julz said

Default_avatar

thanks for that darth , im sold lol . think ill go middle of the range and do the 35 day tour. altho i wouldnt mind seeing the cheque republic too so ill see . is it hard to put the tents up ?
    lol i can be a bit of a girly girl sometimes and im a bit weak so the thought of pithcing a tent every day is a bit daunting but im sure ill survive .

• 2 Oct 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey julz, im glad you have decided to go for camping. you will not regret it.
    the campsite in switzerland is the most amazing place you could ever dream for – it took my breath away, and that is saying something.
    i wouldnt worry about putting up the tent.
    on the first day you are shown how to put it up, and by the second campsite you will be a master. by the end it will take you less than 2 minutes. the tents are custom made for contiki and are so incredibly easy to put up and take down.
    basicaly you unroll your tent, put in a few pegs in to ground, stick your poles in, put your outer tent on top, a few more pegs and thats your room for the night

EASY

any other questions

• 3 Oct 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

hey darth was ur cook georgia lea from ballarat?i just got off a tour with her. she has now finished with contiki

• 3 Oct 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi mc, i have no idea what her surname was, did she tell you the story of her peeing in sink, if so then yes, it was her.

so how did i do on my advice, did any of it help

and did you have a good time

• 23 Jan 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi, just to let you all know i am still around, so if you have any questions, please ask away

• 23 Jan 2008 RahRah said

Default_avatar

Thanks for al your infor there Darth it was great and very informative as i was still ummm and ahhing.. I’m looking to do one late August or September..
    Like Juls I am quite a girly girl, and the thought of sleeping in tents etc was a bit daunting..
    Did they have adequate toilet and bathromm facilities. Ha as in can i pack a hair starightner and do my hair and make up?? Also what times would you get up in the morning etc?
    Thanks

• 23 Jan 2008 MrsTonkin said

MrsTonkin

Hey, what was the average age of the people on your tour? We’re they closer to 18 or 35 or spread out? I only ask because my hubby (whose 30 is worried about being to old!)

• 24 Jan 2008 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

I did a camper and the average age was 24. We had 18 year olds (me!) and we also had a 35 year old, the age of people was spread throughout the 18-35 range, however the greatest concentration of people was in the 21-25 age bracket

• 24 Jan 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey Rahrah, thanks for taking a look. your about to embark on an AMAZING holiday visiting loads of great countries, seeing their best sites, taking part in their cultures and tasting their great cuisine and DRINK, not to mention meeting loads of really great people, and your concerned about bathroom facilities and keeping your hair straight. lots of laughs. Well, let me put your mind at rest, all of the campsites have clean showers and toilets(although i might reccomend taking flip flops for the showers) and if you have time to straighten your hair, then there will be plenty of sockets for you to plug into(take your own straightners though).
    Sleeping in a tent on a contiki holiday is nothing to worry about either, they provide the tent and the airbed, something to blow it up with, and your kindly contiki crew even show you how to put it up(takes about 3 minutes) they even spend all day making you so tired walking around all those great cities, that after all the shows, partys and goodness knows what else you will get up to, you will have no problem sleeping, which brings me on to your next question.
    What time do you get up in the mornings, well i would like to tell you that you get to lie in until 11am every day, but im afraid i would be lying. if you was still in bed at 830 on any day i would be surprised. but when you have places like venice, switzerland, rome and the others waiting for you to go and discover them, you wont want to be in bed.

hope i answered them ok for you, sorry i went on a bit.
    anything else i can answer for you

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion