Community_discussions_small  

Comment

22 day camping questions - i have just returned - please ask away

2 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar
hi, i have just returned from 22 day camping - 5 th june

i had a great time, and i would be happy to help anyone else with any questions you may have before your trip, so please ask as much as you like and i will try and help
  • 12 Feb 2008 AnastaciaBeaverhoussen said

Default_avatar

Darth, I’ve already booked it and am totally excited about it. Just wondering though, I need my laptop when I’m there, so will there be any security issues with me bring it? Could I just leave it in the tent with the tent locked up? Also, As I’m going to be traveling before and after the trip, I don’t want to be carrying around a sleeping bag with me. I’ve heard that contiki hires them out. Do you know what they are like?

Thanks in advance.

• 13 Feb 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Darth, in Venice, the camping ground were we’ll be staying, is that the camping ground where the Fusina Bar is? If so, do they still have a mixed drink called Snake Bite?

• 15 Feb 2008 Kitty said

Default_avatar

Hey again Darth, thanks so much for answering my (and others) many questions. Another one I thought of last night. With everyone rushing to the washing machines I was wondering (as I camp around australia and often do this) are there sinks in the laundry rooms? So you can do some hand washing with your own washing powder? Are there plugs? Just wondering. Thanks

• 15 Feb 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

anastacia – i personaly wouldnt take my laptop with me – although your tent will be locked, it still wont be very hard to get in, plus the coach isnt a hard place to steal from. plus it might get damaged.
    and are you going to have time to use it
    every city has plenty of internet sites which ar very cheap in europe
    however, dont just take my advice on this, call up the friendly folks at contiki, who can give you their advice. you may be better to store it safely at the contiki office in london.
    im sorry if its not what you wanted to hear, but its my opinion.

Default_avatar

as far as sleeping bags are concerned i took my own, im sure you can hire a sleeping bag from the london office – i would imagine its well used though, so would advise buying a sleeping bag liner(very small and cheap) or if i was you, when you arrive in london before your trip i would go and buy a cheap new sleeping bag.

i can tell you some shop locations before you arrive in london.

argos, blacks or millets will have what your looking for

Default_avatar

hey mick – venice was a great campsite, and im sure the bar still has their famous drink, but if i was you i would look on their own website just to check.

Default_avatar

hey kitty – yeah, im sure most sites had a sink with plug to hand wash, but if not the toilets have.

• 22 Feb 2008 Piet said

Default_avatar

Hi Darth

All the advice you have given is great. My boyfriend are from Zim so we enjoy camping but in the campsites you don;t actuall have bars and laundry facilities. We are going on a 32day camping trip in April and europe i think might be a bit different, we can’t wait. Just a few questions if you still check this sight.
    1. In the book they mention that you help out with cooking and buying the food. I just wanna know if you do actually help?
    2. The languages. did you have to learn some basic words and did you have to use it at all to get around.

Thank you again for all the advice. it has answered all my question.

Thanks christine

• 22 Feb 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi christine, im sure you will both have a great time. you wont usualy be needed to go shopping, however cooking and washing up will be on a rota system. you will be required to help with the cooking on a few days and you will help for breakfast and dinner, but it doesnt take long and washing up is also the same.
    most countries speak english, but its always nice to know how to say thankyou in each language.

• 23 Feb 2008 Piet said

Default_avatar

Hi Darth

just another question. How much do you recon will be enough money to take with. Piet and I are thinking about taking £1200 each. Do you think that will enough or like you said on some of the other pages that they actually give you ideas of things to do a prises but when you on holiday you don’t want to worry about money so please help and advice if you can.

Thank you
    Christine

• 26 Feb 2008 Lindsay said

Default_avatar

I just want to ask a couple of questions about the camping trips.
    My first question is if there is anywhere to put souvenirs so that they don’t get stolen. I know in some earlier threads people have been told to leave everything valuable at home but what about the valuable souvenirs that we buy a long the trip?
    My next question is what is the security like around where we camp? Would it be dangerous to walk off to go to the bathroom my myself when it is dark?
    One more question.. I have been reading some travelogues and I was just wondering if there is a bar located at the campsites so that if we want to drink at night without going out we would be able to?

I’ll probably think of some more questions too, this thread rocks!

• 27 Feb 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi p & c

im not too keen answering questions on money as everyone will have different amounts they can afford. – all i will say is take as much as you can afford and please be sensible and keep your money/cards safe

Default_avatar

hi explorer, the tents are reasonanbly safe, but if you have expensive souvenirs i would advise possibly sending them home by post or maybe locking them in the reception of each campsite, but if you forgot to collect 1 i cant see the coach turning around. dont forget its all got to fit in your luggage as well.

you will be safe at night going to bathroom in campsites. i would advise taking a torch though .

on to my favourite subject – drinking

only some campsites have bars on site but most have a shop selling drinks. your tour manager will be able to point you in direction of nearest shop if not on site.

hope this has helped and please ask as many questions as possible.

Default_avatar

i would love to know what you all think my best/most helpfull/ most valuable piece of advice has been so far.

many thanks, and please keep asking away

• 27 Feb 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

Darth, was the pre tour meeting with the tour manager and your fellow travellers, on the morning the tour started or the day/evening before?

• 28 Feb 2008 GC said

Default_avatar

Hi Darth,

I’m looking to leave on a May 13 46 day trip. It returns to London June 27. I was just wondering if you could tell me what time of the day it actually gets back. Would it be too much to book a return flight to Canada for the morning of June 28th?

• 28 Feb 2008 GC said

Default_avatar

also.. just wondering if someone could do me a huge huge favor. since i live in north america i can’t book the camping trip except through one agent. i haven’t been able to find a good description online so i was wondering if someone could just copy the outline and stick it in an email and send it to me. i’d appreciate it so much!!

my email is gracecookie@hotmail.com

hope to hear from someone soon!! i’ll post a response on here as soon as someone sends it to me.

• 29 Feb 2008 Piet said

Default_avatar

Hi Darth

Thanks for that. I’m sure we’ll make a plan. thank you

• 29 Feb 2008 Explorer1091467 said

Default_avatar

hey darth, my name is amy and i am gearin up for a 21 campin tour leaving 25 june!! i’m so excited, can’t wait!! but as always i have a few questions and as i can see you seem to be the person to ask!!
    1. i staying a few days in london thinkin about stayin at the generator? any comments on that? any suggestions on must see touristy things to do in london?
    2. how much money do you think is a good amount to have for the tour…just ball park, i know everyone spends different?? and did you take credit card and if so which is a good one?
    3. if you are male and female…just friends will they let us share a tent

um thats it for now i think!! thanks so much!! great post ya got going!!
    by the way where in the world do you live

• 29 Feb 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi mick. the pre tour meeting is held the evening before your tour. i reccomend you attend as its great to meet your fellow travelers, and your tour manager.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion