Community_discussions_small  

Comment

22 day camping questions - i have just returned - please ask away

2 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar
hi, i have just returned from 22 day camping - 5 th june

i had a great time, and i would be happy to help anyone else with any questions you may have before your trip, so please ask as much as you like and i will try and help
  • 29 Feb 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi gc. well it all depends on your tour, where your leaving from and how you did travel wise. my tour arrived back about 6pm, but you can never be sure with cross chanel ferries if they will be delayed. booking your flight for the following morning should be ok. however dont forget to take into account the travel time from london to the airport plus the 3 hour check in time at the airport. im sure you will be tired as well, and having your first nights sleep in a proper bed for a weeks, you may find it hard to get up. just a few things to think about.

Default_avatar

hi amy, you will have such a great time, and june isnt that far away.

ok, lets try and answer ur questions

i didnt stay in the generator, i stayed in the hotel with the contiki basement (it was very convenient and not expensive)

ok, for london i highly reccomend doing a duck tour(look at their website) it really is a fun way to see some of london. you cant visit london without stopping by at buckingham palace(say hello to our queen)(or waving to her guards anyway). a ride on the millenium wheel will give you great views of london or a ride on the thames might also be fun. but my number 1 choice is the london duck tours. if you have spare time visit
    leister square(shopping&restaurants)
    covent garden(street entertainers)
    china town(im not going to spell it out)
    a trip to harrods(famous expensive shop)although you might find a cheap little souvenir(and dont forget to get a harrods bag)

Default_avatar

amy, i think i took about £800 and managed to do all the trips, but if you can take more then you wont have to watch the pennies.

i didnt take a credit card as its hard to pay it off after. my travel agent provided me with a card which you load on euros in their agency and you can use in a cash point machine to get out money. the best thing with this card is, if it gets stolen they will replace the cash and even better, you can ask for a spare card, which you can leave with your parents back at home, and if you run out of money, you can ask them to go into agency and top it up(sorry to all those kindly parents)
    and your final question, yeah you can share a tent with whoever you like. just make sure you are great friends as sharing a tent with someone for 3 weeks can be hard.(big shout out to my tent buddie if he is watching)(lovely stuff)
    hope this helps, any other questions

Default_avatar

sorry, almost forgot

let me introduce myself

My name is mark, im 35 and i live in the great United Kingdom. i actualy live in kent, about an hours train ride from London

Default_avatar

as i live not too far from london, i may be up for showing a few people round london. im not a tour guide, but i can show you around pretty well.

if anyone is interested, please email me, with a photo to (youve guessed it)
    darthilicious@hotmail.co.uk

• 1 Mar 2008 Explorer1091467 said

Default_avatar

thanks heaps…you could start up ya own little tip webpage, rake in the cash!! you were a great help not just from me but from all the other advice you have given ppl!! best!!
    someone told me that a good way to see things is to get on one of those double decker buses then travel around on that and then go back to the places that you want to see!! what do you think?? anyways thanks heaps and i might have some more questions closer to date
    by way do you know what 800 is in aussie dollars
    thanks heaps
    amy

• 1 Mar 2008 Explorer1091467 said

Default_avatar

hey sorry just a quick question about the deck tour – does it stop and let you get off the bus at the different stops!!!

• 2 Mar 2008 Mel said

Mel
    quote:
    Originally posted by darthilicious:
    mick – i took toilet rolls with me and washing powder
    2 toilet rolls should be enough to start – as you will find plenty of campsites have shops to top up.

So continki dont provide TP in their communal toilet/shower facilities?? seriously??

thanks for all your awesome advice so far, glad I saw this one!!!

• 4 Mar 2008 Kitty said

Default_avatar

Hey Darth, Thanks again for the top tips!!! Very helpful, everyone going on camping tours should read this forum!

Few more questions:
    The tour meeting the night before the tour, is it a dinner/drinks/etc?? Does it cost anything?

The other thing I was thinking about (being a camper myself here in Australia) is that usually the bathrooms/laundry clear out by about 10pm. Do they close at a certain time? Could you go and wash at 11pm and avoid the crowds? Just a thought as this is often what we do here.

Ps. I think so far the best advice is about washing, I knew the basics but never thought about 80 people going at once to try and wash! I don’t want to spend my holiday in a laundry! But yes everything has been helpful.

• 8 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey everyone, to start with i must be honest and say that because i live in uk i have never been on bus tour around london, but im sure they are great and i know that some do stop at certain stops so you can get off….

when i went on my tour none of the campsites arfe actually owned by contiki, yeah they do have their own bar and reps on some of them.

now, dont get me wrong, some campsites did have toilet paper, but it was on the cheap hard side, but there was more than 1 occasion where it run out. its always good to carry spares…

• 8 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

the tour meeting the night before is just a talk about what will be going on the following day. so, no drinks or dinner and is totaly free.
    it doesnt go on too long so plenty of time to go and get some dinner and drinks afterwards.

really, dont worry too much about washing. you wont need to be doing too much, and i would hope by 11 you will be having a good time getting drunk, not washing.

just be ready to get ur washing on early and you should be fine……

• 8 Mar 2008 Kitty said

Default_avatar

I don’t drink so its not really an issue for me! But thanks again for the really helpful information, its been a great help with everything.

I was wondering what the average price of lunch is in England and Europe at say, a bakery or cafe? Say for a sandwich and a coffee?

• 10 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

that is a very hard question for me to answer, as it really depends where you have lunch and what you choose. all i will say is you will be in cities mostly so it will be dearer. a tip which im sure isnt a new tip for some people, but if your trying to save money, then a cafe or bar serving food will be cheaper down a back street than in the main square or overlooking the sea front.
    i would say somewhere between £4 to £10(6-14 euros) but that really is a rough estimate. i wouldnt worry too much. just make sure you have a good breakfast(provided by you contiki supercook) and you wont need too much till dinner…..

• 15 Mar 2008 Kitty said

Default_avatar

Yeh I know its a hard question. I was only expecting a rough estimate. Thanks for trying and I sort of planned on going to back street cafes etc and just having a good breakfast. Thanks so much again it really is helpful to even have some idea. Thanks and keep up the good work!

• 16 Mar 2008 MrsTonkin said

MrsTonkin

Hi, just wondering what the roads are like around Europe as I can get pretty carsick if it is windey – will I need travel sickness pills?

• 17 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi mrs t, not heard from you for a bit.
    the roads seemed great to me, so i dont think you should have a problem, but it might be an idea to take some travel sick pills.
    although taking a travel sick pill every day might not be so good for you, cant you get a travel sick braclett these days????

it might be worth taking a few plastic bags just in case, and also as soon as you get on tour let your tour manager know, who might be happy enough to locate you near the front of the coach(which will be a great help)

i would advise you take a travel pill for cross chanel ferry(dover to calais)(uk to france)

hope this helped

• 18 Mar 2008 ~ * Claire * ~ said

~ * Claire * ~

Hi i’m Claire and me and my housemate Laura are contiking it up this summer. We are going on the 21daycamping tour departing on the 20th aug 08. Mega excited already…wondered if anyone else is on this tour? How big are the tents? I imagine if they fit two airmatresses in they are large enough, but can you stand up in them?claire

• 19 Mar 2008 Mattchew said

Mattchew

Hi Darthilicious,

Just read this entire thread, Great work!! I have all the info i need now!

And Hi Claire,

Im planning on doing the 21 day camping departing on the 20th aug.

I was actually going to book it tomorrow =)

Cant wait!!!

• 24 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi claire and laura, your going to have a great time. thanks for checking out my thread, im sure you will have plenty of questions, but to answer your first question…

the tents are large enough to sleep in, as there is enough room to have the 2 airbeds, and 2 bags(1 each) and thats about it, not high enough to stand up in unless your small, but they are big enough to be comfortable if you know what i mean…

any other questions

• 24 Mar 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi mattchew, thanks for checking out my thread, well done for reading through the whole thing….it has got quite large now hasnt it

i hope you found some of it helpfull, im sure your going to have a great time in august.

so have you got any questions i can answer for you, as long as its not a spending money question

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion