Community_discussions_small  

Comment

22 day camping questions - i have just returned - please ask away

2 Jul 2007 darthilicious said

Default_avatar
hi, i have just returned from 22 day camping - 5 th june

i had a great time, and i would be happy to help anyone else with any questions you may have before your trip, so please ask as much as you like and i will try and help
  • 18 May 2008 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

Did you find that pumping up air mattresses and putting up the tents cut into your sight seeing time much? Did they have enough pumps available to blow up the mattresses?

• 21 May 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi cath, nope it didnt really take that long. the whole camp doesnt take long at all, and it gets quicker with practice. i reckon 15-20 mins max. you will spend more time doing your hair lol….

when i went we had 4 pumps, but didnt really take too long to go around

• 21 May 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

well my friends, i cant believe its been almost a year since i last went on my contiki camping trip.
    i would love to go again, but as im 36 there is no chance of that.

i have really enjoyed doing this little thread, helping as many people enjoy their holiday as possible, but i now feel the information im giving may be a little out of date.

so, i would love everyone to check out my thread, as im sure it will still help.

i will also still read any messages left on my thread, so if you do read this and want to tell me if it has helped you please let me know.

so all thats left for me to say is THANKYOU EVERYONE for reading this, its been great fun and i wish all of you who are about to embark on your great holiday I HOPE YOU HAVE A REALLY GREAT TIME.

Thanks again – I LOVE YOU ALL

XXXXXXXX

• 21 May 2008 Mick said

Default_avatar

I think i’ve got an idea how you feel Darth. I’ll turn 34 two days after my 46 tour ends and by the time i can save enuff money, i’ll probably be too old to do a contiki again.

I’d like to thank you very much for all of the extremely useful advice and information you given us. You’ve answered every question i’ve thought of and more. Thanks again and enjoy your contiki retirement.

• 14 Jul 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi mick, thanks mate
    i really enjoyed helping

have a great trip

• 22 Jul 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hey everyone, dont forget if you have read my thread and found it helpfull please leave a message as i still read any messages left

• 9 Aug 2008 Sarah24 said

Default_avatar

Hi Darthlicious,

Not sure if you still come on here..

I just have one question..

How much precious sightseeing time do you lose while setting everything up at camp?

Thanks,
    Sarah.

• 10 Aug 2008 darthilicious said

Default_avatar

hi sarah, you dont really lose to much time, it really doesnt take long to set up. just remember its a chance to bond with your fellow travelers and always think about how much money your saving by going camping

• 1 Feb 2009 sophie said

Default_avatar

I found this forum very helpful and i hope your still answering questions on here! im going on this tour in august! i just wanted to know what kinda of clothes to pack this time of the yr? and is there many internet cafes and are they cheap or dear? thanks Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> sophie

• 3 Feb 2009 Madison said

Default_avatar

woah..okay so I just finished reading all that and it was really helpful.

Not sure if you still check this anymore but I’ll post it anyway..

With the weight restrictions are you meant to keep it 20kg and under throughout the whole trip? (you know incase you buy stuff)

thats all.
    Thanks for the advice (even if you don;t get around to answering my question) Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Feb 2009 Mick said

Default_avatar

I think Darthilicious is enjoying his retirement for now.
    Explorer1121783: There are plenty of internet cafes around and their prices aren’t too bad but you’ll probably find, after you’ve gotten underway on your tour, you won’t find much spare time to go into them. I didn’t, was too busy seeing the sites etc. And as for clothes, as you head north, it will start to get cool. I would advise to pack at least one jacket/jumper and a pair of long pants to keep you warm.

Madison: The weight restriction of 20kg is only enforced at the very beginning on the morning you set off. Everyone’s bag will be weighed and labelled. If your bag is over the weight limit, put some stuff in your carry on bag while you’re leaving London. After you make your first stop in Paris, no one cares about the weight of you bag anymore.

• 5 Feb 2009 Madison said

Default_avatar

haha I thought it was a long shot!
    Thanks for the answer Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 May 2009 planetbyron said

planetbyron

woah! my eyes are burning after reading 12 friggin pages of the most comprehensive info ever

Just in case darth ever comes back…do guys need to bring dress shoes? or should one pair of sneakers do it?

• 6 May 2009 Mick said

Default_avatar

planet byron, I would advise to take a pair of sneakers for all the walking around you’ll be doing and pair of dress shoes which you can use for clubbing and nights out, and for getting dressed up for fancier nights out. A pair of sneakers won’t go with pair of trousers and a collared shirt when you go to a fancy place for the night.

• 20 May 2009 soapyrows said

Default_avatar

i’m on this camping trip WOOO!!!

CANNOT FREAKING WAIT! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Jun 2009 bren.18 said

bren.18

wow. best thread EVER!
    after reading all 12 pages, i can’t wait to do the 46-day camping tour!!!!
    and thanks to darth, i have NO questions!!
    :-)
    so,, is mick the new darth? :P

• 24 Jun 2009 planetbyron said

planetbyron

hey man i just did the first half of the 46 camping tour…finished last week. check out my post in the camping section. i think it would probably be a bit more updated.

• 25 Jun 2009 Mick said

Default_avatar

I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have Bren

• 11 Jul 2009 Explorer1121072 said

Explorer1121072

hey great thread, thanks for answers. im doing the 46 day camping but am stopping at amsterdam as going back to london seems a bit redundant. was wondering how many other people stop before tour go’s back to london. imagine others like me would do all their london exploring before the tour starts. cheers

• 14 Jul 2009 Mick said

Default_avatar

On both of the European tours i’ve done, no one has stayed behind in Amsterdam. Everyone who started on the tour in London ended it there.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion