Community_discussions_small  

Question

Optional activities/tours - what were your favourites?

15 Apr 2010 Shaye asked

Default_avatar
Hi all, just wondering for those of you that have been on a European Contiki trip, which optional tours were your favourites? What do you recommend and which ones would you give a miss?
  • 17 Apr 2010 Anasatasia said

Default_avatar

Hi Shaye,

Paris
    1. Eiffel Tower (of course!)
    2. River cruise – if you’ve been to Paris before, don’t bother with this, but if you haven’t then it’s a nice way of seeing Paris
    3. Moulin Rouge / Other caberet – I found this to be a complete waste of money. I love dance and theatre, but the cost was outrageous.
    4. Versailles – great, but make sure you see the gardens as well as the palace
    5. Fontainbleu – not an option on every tour, but well worth buying a train ticket and getting out there yourself.

Lucerne
    1. Mt Titlus – just do it!
    2. Lake cruise – OK but not fantastic

Lauterbrunnen
    1. Jungfraujoch – breathtaking
    2. Skydiving – if you’ve got the nerve, this is brilliant

Venice
    1. Gondala ride – compulsory, just so you can say you’ve done it
    2. Murano Island – if you’re not in to artisan works etc, then this won’t interest you. You can see just as much amazing glasswork etc bu wandering through the streets of Venice
    3. St Marks Basilica – pay the couple of euro to climb the tower. It’s the best view of Venice

Rome
    1. Colossuem and Roman Forum – words can’t describe this.
    2. Capuchin Monks Cemetery – creepy, surreal and awesome all at once

Barcelona
    1. Flamenco Show – worth it just for the dinner. The food was great

Berlin
    1. Do everything – the place is hard to find stuff if you don’t know where you’re going so the options take care of that for you

Munich
    1. Dacau Concentration Camp – the day we visited is was 35 degrees without a cloud in the sky, in the middle of August. Within 5min of stepping through the gates we all had jumpers on, you just feel cold and this place didn’t even have kilns that had been used. If you have any interest in history, this is a must see, as is Krakow/Auschwitz.

I think this hits the highlights.

Stacey Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Apr 2010 Shaye said

Default_avatar

Thanks Stacey, that’s awesome really appreciate all your tips.

Anyone else out there with some suggestions?

• 30 Apr 2010 likeaflower said

likeaflower

PARIS

I too completely regretted the Moulin Rouge, I wish I didn’t get sucked into it and held my ground and did something else in the area that night. The food was crap, it was all American chips and steak type pub food, the desert was bland, the waiters were rude. If you didn’t want champagne (which is worth $30 a glass there), their lame substitute was orange juice! I felt so ripped off and bitter about the whole experience. Not to mention the show was boring. In between the topless dancers miming eurovision tunes they had an odd act that was like from Australia’s Got Talent. Biggest tourist trap ever!

After the show you go to a bar next door and dance the night away, that was fun. So I recommend on the night go with the bus then have dinner somewhere else during the show.

With the French perfumery visit, only go if you’re into perfume, or else spend some time shopping or at a gallery, it’s in the heart of the city (Galleries Lafayette was nearby).

VERSAILLES is a must see! It’s included in the cost but it felt very rushed. So if you have the guts, don’t get back on the bus and spend a few more hours there, then catch the train back to Paris.We had an express 45min tour and 30mins to ourselves, didn’t even get to see the garden.

• 4 May 2010 Shaye said

Default_avatar

thanks likeaflower, also great tips Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Sad to hear Moulin Rouge was a let down for you both.

• 4 May 2010 Explorer1171933 said

Default_avatar

Thank you guys for this useful tips .

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion