Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Contiki vs Top deck!

2 Feb 2009 Anna_7 said

Default_avatar
So which one is better and why. I am umming up on the Contiki Europe 46day camping tour and the topdeck Mega European. I have heard some bad and good things about both. I am kinda leaning towards Contiki beacause you go to more countries but I am worried it will be too fast, with top deck I have been told you have more time to do what you want, which is want I want. I want to hang out in a group but also want a bit of free time to myself. Also I have heard that the food on contiki isn't that great?

As with the drinking Contiki is so well known for drinking etc. Is it really xtremely bad? I love drinking but I don't want to miss out on anything, day time or night time! But I want to be able to remember my trip.

So for the people preferably that have been on both . What is your honest opinion?
Which tour company is better and please explain why?

Cheers
Anna
  • 3 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

You’re probably going to hear most people say go with Contiki, this is the Contiki website…

Pretty much everything that you mentioned can vary from tour to tour and group to group. The food on camping tours is made by a supercook – the better the cook the better the food. I had a supercook in Scandinavia. The breakfasts were excellent, the dinners were ok. Another supercook (who wasn’t on their first tour) might have had better food offerings.

I know people who have toured with both Contik and Top Deck and they thought Contiki was run better, more professionally. But if you’re comparing 1 contiki tour vs 1 Top Deck tour it can be so hit or miss, especially if you end up with a good or bad TM on one or the other.

As for a party, they both have a bit of a reputation for partying. I’ve read their messageboard and half the people get very defensive that contiki is just a party tour and top deck is for serious travelers. Really, it depends who you end up with on tour. I ran into a Top Deck tour in Scandinavia and they were bigger partiers then we were. Throw 40-50, 18-35 years olds together and they’ll drink and party. How much you drink and party is up to you. Every tour will have a group of light drinker/partiers, a group of heavy drinker/partiers, but most people will be there to see europe and also have a good time.

As for free time, that will depend a lot on the itinerary. It takes the Top Deck bus just as long to get from Rome to Florence as it takes the Contiki bus. Contiki will offer you a city tour and then you’ll get free time. The rest of the time (and the time during the city tour, if you choose) is your own free time. There is nothing that you have to do on contiki. If you’ve seen Paris before then by all means, skip the orientation tour and do your own thing.

As for the itinerary, that sounds like it should be your deciding factor. The first thing I notice on the surface about the differences between the two tours is that there are a lot of lunches included on Top Deck, makes me wonder how much free time you’ll really have if you want all those meals. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either tour, I think the itinerary that offers you more places that you would like to see is the tour you should go with. I wouldn’t pick the tour with the highest country count, but if Romania interests you then maybe Top Deck is the way to go. If Croatia interests you then go with Contiki.

• 8 Feb 2010 Blocky said

Blocky

I looked into top deck before i booked with contiki and i have to agree with the above post. The deciding factor for me ended up being the itinerary, the contiki tour went to more of the places i wanted to see.

• 17 Jan 2012 Explorer1350397 said

Default_avatar

Don’t do Topdeck honestly the team managers are shit and just care about getting drunk. I did the mega european and basically felt that I wasted my money.

• 29 Feb 2012 Explorer1267463 said

Default_avatar

I did the 29 day Contiki European Contrasts and it was the best month of my life. Great ppl, and from what i saw of the TopDeck, the contiki gurides are way better n professional. Our guide said that Topdeck was Contiki’s poorer cousiin who had guides that were more interested in drinking than looking after there group. Contiki is the shiz.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.