Community_discussions_small  

Question

Any advice for travelling Gluten Free?

9 Jan 2011 Georgie asked

Georgie
Hi I`m going on the Grand Explorer tour 12th-26th of Feb and was just wondering if anyone could give advice on any places that do Gluten Free while I`m on tour? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • 12 Jan 2011 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Not sure about specific places per se, however tell your TM at the beginning of the tour so that all included meals conform to your dietary requirements.

- Vic

• 26 Jan 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hi, please give us a shout so we can add it to your booking. Then just confirm with your Tour Manager on Day 1. We can’t guarantee you’ll get gluten-free everywhere you go, but your TM will try and make sure it’s available wherever they can. Have a brilliant time :)
    ~Beks

• 31 Jan 2011 Georgie said

Georgie

Thanks everyone. I have checked out a couple of Gluten free friendly places via Google. So I now have a better idea of where to go for Gluten free food. At the time I made my booking Contiki was made aware of my ‘Gluten Free Status’. I will be sure to let the tour manager know when I arrive too.

• 8 Feb 2011 sarah2010 said

sarah2010

Hi, I am a celiac so need a total gluten free diet and I did two contiki tours last summer. I was very impressed with how well my TM’s ensured I had gluten free food for all the organized group dinners! Both of my tours were Superior tours (not sure if Budget would be different) but eating gluten free on tour was far less stressful than I had expected. Also if you have an iPhone and are going to countries on your tour where many locals may not speak English you can download a celiac app that explains what ‘gluten free’ is in every language you can imagine! Cleared up a lot of confusion when people kept thinking I was asking if there was no ‘meat’ in the food instead of ‘wheat’ haha :).Breakfast in Europe is the trickiest time bc they eat so much bread and cereal so I actually backed two boxes of breakfast bars with me and ate one each morning. Have fun!

• 12 Feb 2011 lady_o said

lady_o

we had three Gluten Free-ers on my trip and they always had a special meal prepared for them by all the restaurants we went to as a tour group. it always looked kind of pitiful, don’t think Western Europe has quite jumped on board the Gluten Free train. Italy especially was hard for them if I remember correctly, the restaurant in venice did have gluten free pasta ready for them and that was an ecstatic moment. =)

• 12 Feb 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I also had a tourmate with celiac’s. She always had a special meal prepared for her. I think the hardest part was the meals that weren’t included. But everyone was always on the look out for snacks for her, we even found her gluten free rolls one day.

• 4 Oct 2011 Miss-Sarah-87 said

Miss-Sarah-87

How did you go Georgie?

I did the Grand Southern in the US this year and I am also dairy intolerant. I found it very difficult, ate a heap of salad and breakfast every morning was just fruit. I actually lost weight!

I am hoping to head to Europe next year, so hoping the food isn’t too bad.

Thanks – Sarah

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion