Community_discussions_small  

Comment

London/Paris- July 25th-Aug 1

17 Jun 2008 YngWseWmn said

Default_avatar
Hi all,
I am deciding this week if I am going to book the London/Paris tour. Has anyone done this tour? If so, any advice? I do have a few questions if anyone can answer:

- What airport do I need to fly into?

- The flight from Paris was $4k, versus flight from London $1100. A friend said I could ride the Chunel (sp?) from Paris back to London and catch my flight. Is this a good idea?

- If transportation to/from the airport is not included, what is the most price efficient way to go?

Thanks guys! Sorry for all the questions!

YNGWSEWMN
  • 18 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Where are you travelling from (America, Australia, somewhere else)? That will impact on your flight cost.

Ideally you would fly directly to London – either to Heathrow (London’s main International airport) or Gatwick (which is a bit further out but generally usually cheaper to fly into). That is where your tour will start from.

The “Channel” is what your friend means and I think he/she is talking about the Eurostar – it’s a train that takes you from Paris to London (and vice-versa) in about 3hrs. You can get one-way tickets for as little as 20pounds sometimes.

It might be worth considering that option if the flight cost is going to be so drastically different but it will mean getting from the train station in London back to whichever airport you’re leaving from.

If you get your Eurostar ticket to take you back to King’s Cross station in London then you can just get the Picadilly Line underground train directly to Heathrow – that’s easy enough to do!

You can easily get to your hotel in London, when you arrive, via the underground train (it is one direct line).

I’m not sure about how to do this in Paris when you want to leave but I would presume a taxi or shuttle to the train station (if you do indeed take the Eurostar) would be the easiest way to go.

Hope this helps.

• 18 Jun 2008 YngWseWmn said

Default_avatar

Wow PinaI! Thanks for the info. It’s definately helpful.

I am travelling from the US (Houston, IAH). I talked to someone from Contiki today, and she told me about the Picadilly Line to the hotel from the airport. She said it was about $10 (not sure in Euros). What exactly is the Piccadilly line? Is it different from the underground train?

I looked at the Channel tickets online at it looks like it’s less expensive to buy a round trip ticket than a one-way. It said 102 Euros. The question is….Should I buy the Eurostar pass now, or wait until I’m in Paris? Would it matter in price and availability? I have to take an early one in order to get to my plane on time.

Any thoughts?

• 18 Jun 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

The Piccadilly Line is just the name of the particular underground service that goes from Heathrow to Russell Square, where the Contiki hotel is. Each “line” in the UK has a name and colour associated. The Piccadilly Line is blue for example, the District Line is Green and the Jubilee line is grey.

There is only ONE service that runs from Heathrow and that is the Piccadilly line so you can’t get lost or get on the wrong train!

I think a one-way ticket is about 4pounds, not sure what that coverts to in US dollars.

I’d buy the pass now if you can as it will probably save you money in the long run and by buying now you will ensure you get a seat (ie: they won’t be sold out). If you have to be in London by a certain time then definitely buy ahead.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.