Community_discussions_small  

Question

Vienna & Budapest trip 6 days May/June 2013

17 Apr 2013 Marina29 asked

Default_avatar

I am planning on going on a trip Vienna & Budapest. This is my first trip with conitki. Can't decide between two dates May16 - May 21 or June 6 - 11. Who is going when? If anybody has any recommendations please reply. Thank you!

• 17 Apr 2013 Thadshiga said

Thadshiga

I just booked this trip. I booked for May 16 – May 21. This is my first contiki trip, so i’m excited. I’m flying in early to give myself extra days in Vienna and staying back a few days to enjoy more of Budapest or Vienna ( haven’t decided).

• 19 Apr 2013 Marina29 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I’m looking in to purchasing tickets hopefully in the next few days. I won’t be staying extra days, so I hope 6 days is enough and the weather will permit us to enjoy the trip.

• 19 Apr 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

Hey Marina,
    I can certainly tell you that no trip for 6 days is enough for Europe. Also you have to remember you are really only going for 4 nights, they count the day you fly as your vacation day which it’s not and the trip ends at 8am so unless your flight back is late evening you are losing yet another day. I’m personally going on the Berlin to Budapest trip and most likely extending it on my own

Alex

• 19 Apr 2013 Marina29 said

Default_avatar

Hey Alex,

I’ve heard from people who have been there, that Vienna is a pretty compact city and Budapest isn’t big. However, I do agree with you and I wish I could stay a little longer, so I’ll try to make the most out of it :o)
    I looked at the trip Berlin to Budapest – looks really nice. When are you going?

• 19 Apr 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

Yeah they are not that big but still it’s not enough at least not for me. How come you can’t do a longer trip? For me flying out of New York during summer months it’s like $1300-$1400 for a non-stop flight (hate connecting flights) but in September it’s like $1000-$1100 plus the weather is still nice so I’m thinking maybe the 9/20 trip

• 19 Apr 2013 Thadshiga said

Thadshiga

Hey Marina, i read the reviews on Vienna to Budapest and the comments are similar to what Alex is saying about it not being enough time. It all just depends on what you want to do. I’m planning to take the train out to Salzburg and Hallstatt, and spend an extra day in Budapest. So that’s why i threw in those extra days.

If you book for the May 16 – May 21, i look forward to meeting you. :)

• 21 Apr 2013 Marina29 said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex,
    Almost all my flights are around $1100-$1300 with one to two stops (I don’t like connecting flights either) non-stop flight would be around $2000.
    I recently started a new job and I don’t want to go on vacation for a very long period of time but at the same time I really need one, haven’t gone on vacation for a year and half. So It thought that this would be the best option right now so to speak.
    Yeah the flights from New York are cheaper and I believe you get more options. Have you gone with contiki before or this your first time?

Default_avatar

Thadshiga,
    One of the things that i would like to see in Vieenna is Schönbrunn Palace during the day. I know we will visit it evening time (night). I would also like to see Belvedere (I don’t think its on itinerary).
    I think you are doing the right thing by visiting other places.
    If I book on those dates…. I look forward to meeting you as well :o)

• 21 Apr 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

This would be my first time. The good news for you is that all the Vienna and Budapest start on Thursdays but it’s actually Friday because Thursday would be when you fly. If you can take off from work 7 business days plus 4 weekend days then you actually have 11 days off =0)

Where are you from Marina?

Default_avatar

Alex,
    You are right. I’m not sure I can do that though :o(

Originally I am from Ukraine, here in US I’m from Maryland. What about you? Where you are originally from?

• 22 Apr 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

Marina I am originally from Moldova so we were practically neighbors ;0)

So I think I found a solution for you. Why don’t you wait and go with me either on 9/6 or 9/20 Berlin to Budapest tour (separate rooms of course lol) I think we would get along famously lol. This way it will be another 4-5 months that you have been at your current job and it would be easier to take more days off.

• 25 Apr 2013 Marina29 said

Default_avatar

Alex,
    Sorry but I can’t wait that long. Last year I ended up not going anywhere because I postponed and something always popped up. Let me know how the trip will end up and what other trips you are planning on taking.

• 25 Apr 2013 Marina29 said

Default_avatar

Thadshiga,
    I bought the ticket and signed up for this tour May 16-21. I am landing in Vienna on May 17 10am.
    How do you plan to get to the hotel from the airport (I know you will be there a day or so earlier)?

• 25 Apr 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

That is too bad Marina. I would’’ve booked that trip with you right away and it would have been better than the five days you’re going for. Hope it works out for you

• 26 Apr 2013 Thadshiga said

Thadshiga

Hey marina! That’s great news. Looking forward to meeting you. I’m planning to take the bus from my hotel. Vienna supposedly has a great train/bus system. You can take the CAT – the airport subway which is a little pricier to your hotel.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion