Community_discussions_small  

Question

Problems without a credit card?

3 Jul 2010 Ganacampo asked

Default_avatar
Hi!

I'm planning on doing the Wild Western tour this year, but I'm a litle concerned about going to the US without a credit card.

I only have an EC card and of course I'll bring cash, but are there many places where you need a credit card, or is cash accepted everywhere and can I also pay for the optionals with cash?

I don't wanna get a credit card for one tour and I don't need it in my country, did anyone already do a US-tour without a credit card or had someone without one on their tour?

Thanks in advance. Smiler
  • 3 Jul 2010 Jelly_Bean said

Default_avatar

Hi – You will not really NEED a credit card anywhere, cash is fine to use. However if you are travelling anywhere before or after and staying in a hotel they often ask for a deposit on the room (to cover incidentals) which you can either give cash or they take an imprint of your credit card, I find a credit card is better for this.
    However I would advise anyone going overseas to get a credit card for emergencies. Hopefully you will never need to use it but it is much better to have access to cash in an emergency via a credit card rather than go into a bank overdraft or have to get money wired to you.

• 4 Jul 2010 PinaI said

PinaI

I honestly think that a credit card will make it easier for you to travel around. I understand the hassle of getting one but it will be worthwhile when you get there.

I also think it’s safer to take a CC compared to lugging around wads of cash.

Does your normal cheque/savings account, that you use everyday, allow access to a debit card? Perhaps that’s a good compromise as you will be using your own money but with the capabilities of “credit”?

• 6 Jul 2010 Ganacampo said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by PinaI:
    Does your normal cheque/savings account, that you use everyday, allow access to a debit card? Perhaps that’s a good compromise as you will be using your own money but with the capabilities of “credit”?

I’m not sure about this, but I have an EC-card, and I read somewhere it also is accepted in the US, although less commonly than in Europe, so I think I would be fine with that.

I just was worried since I had heard that cash often isn’t accepted in the US, but if it is accepted in most places that shouldn’t be a problem for me then.

• 9 Jul 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

The only places you should have trouble with cash is at hotels, or car rentals. Everywhere else they’ll be happy to take your cash.

I’m going to suggest getting a credit card though for a couple reasons.
    1. Start building a credit record early, if you pay it off it will greatly help your credit rating in case you one day want to get a loan. Even if you only use it a couple times a year and pay it off it will start establishing your credit rating.
    2. When you use a debit card (not quite sure what a EC-Card is) companies sometimes put a freeze on a certain amount of money – hotels are notorious for this and you wont be able to access that money for at least a week.
    3. In case of an emergency, if you lost money or your EC-Card gets frozen you have another way to pay for things.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion