Community_discussions_small  

Comment

dec 30 - january 7 London to Paris + 2

20 Sep 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488
Hey i am going on the dec 30 - jan 7 just wondering who else is going on this tour.
  • 21 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

I got a flu shot last week and my doctor reccomended the Women’s One a Day vitamin (not sure if it’s available where you are). I’m starting to take them now and will take them on the tour as well. Besides that, I’m just bringing cough drops and cold medacine. Hope I make it through airport security ok with all that!

• 21 Oct 2008 LMB said

Default_avatar

Hi! I am going on this trip (solo) as well, minus the two extra days in Paris. I am from the US, flying from Los Angeles.

• 21 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

Hi LMB welcome are you doing any other tours afterward?

Yeah we do have the one a day vitamins i have been taking them for a while and lucky for us at my work we get the flu vaccination for free i think they think it is cheaper then paying out sick pays and paying overtime to cover sick staff.

I don’t know if it is the same over there heather but my doctor has told me to organise all the medicine i think i will need – panadol, motion sickness etc and she will write a letter for customs approving these for me as long as they are still in their original packaging

• 21 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

Ya I thought about doing that as well since I read that some over-the-counter stuff that’s legal in the US isn’t in other countries or you need a perscriptions. I do have a couple perscription meds but those are in the original packages with the label so I think those will be ok.

LMB- when are you getting into London? And what part of the states are you from (I’m guessing somewhere in CA since you are leaving from LAX)?

• 21 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

yeah you should be right hey lmb are you coming in early if so are you staying at the contiki hotel? i think a few of us are and i was thinking maybe we should try and get together before the contiki meeting maybe for a few drinks

• 22 Oct 2008 LMB said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the welcoming. No, no additional tours for me afterward. Just doing a week long thing to see what it is like, as this is my first time on a Contiki =)

I am leaving LAX 4p on the 29th and getting into London at 10a on the 30th according to an invoice the agent sent me.

Oh, I am from southern California – grew up in San Diego but living in Los Angeles now for the past several years.

Yes, I am staying in the Contiki hotel. Is everyone else staying there too? Drinks beforehand sound great!

• 22 Oct 2008 LMB said

Default_avatar

Does anyone know what time the group touring starts / ends each day? Like are we free to do whatever after a certain hour? I am hoping to try good restaurants and experience the night life.

Okay I am getting excited now that I see people on here I will eventually get to meet on the trip. This vacation will keep me motivated til the end of the semester!

Heather where in CA are you from?

• 22 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

I am from Sacramento so I’m leaving from San Francisco. As for the times, I think they are early, maybe leaving around 8 or 9am. I think we get time to do whatever during the day whether it’s optionals or our own thing and we just have to meet back at a certain time to catch the bus back to the hotel.

Is anyone else doing the Stonehenge and Bath optionals?? I know it’s just a bunch of rocks but it’s crazy how they got them there and I have always wanted to see it.

• 22 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

oh good i was hoping i wasn;t going to have to see them on my own i agree craxy old rocks but i have always wanted to see them. i also wouldn’t mind seeing bath too cause people used to believe that that awful water had some sort of healing powers. do we get to do the moulin rouge or the other one i am hoping it the moulin rouge i have always wanted to see that and would be disapointed if we are seeing the other one cause all the forums see to give it disapointing reviews

• 22 Oct 2008 LMB said

Default_avatar

I plan on going to Stonehenge and Bath too! Beautiful places and must take a lot of pictures there. I cross my fingers the Moulin Rouge will be one of the optionals offered. It is listed on the itinerary but says “may be available.” =/

• 23 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

I didn’t know there was another show besides Moulin Rouge??? The itinerary I printed from the website has it on there for 130 euros so I hope we do get to see it.

• 23 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

yeah i saw that but the website says that they can change cause the 09 ones haven’t been confirmed yet i think the otherone is called the nouvelle eve or something like that.

• 24 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

hey read this it’s a bit long but when you read it it is a bit scary i hope ours isn’t like this

http://www.epinions.com/review/166154769281-Contiki_Hol…content_446316973700

• 24 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

WOW! I just read through several reviews from that website, some good and some bad. Since I haven’t done a Contiki tour before (or any tour), I have no experience to compare it to. But it sounds like some peole just need to be more educated before they go. Just by using these forums on here I have found out lots of stuff. The only crappy thing is it sounds like a lot of it comes down to our tour manager. I hope our tour is good, but if it’s not, at least this tour isn’t too long (and the 2 extra days in Paris we are on our own anyway).

• 24 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

thats what i thought but still a good tour manager would be nice heaps of the reviews on that website are good however so lets hope we get a good TM. everything she wrote about i was kinda prepared to experience but the drug thing kinda got me i was like WOW that is a bit much. I am not sure if i will be doing the optional dinners on my other tour because they are the most complained about it seems

• 26 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

hey i checked with some family who spent last christmas in paris and they said nothing was closed and that they took the metro oout to disney world it is like an hour trip but really worth it

• 27 Oct 2008 Heather said

Heather

Ya I heard some of the optional dinners aren’t that great, especially some of the ones on my other tour. I am such a picky eater already that it should be interesting in Europe to see what I actually eat!

That’s good to know about things not being closed, thanks. I would think the big sights like Disney stay open everyday. We should get a group to go, it would be lots of fun! I just hope the weather will be ok.

• 27 Oct 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

yeah i hope so too, i think it has to be the world can;t be that crule can it?? LOL anywayz i have decided that i will prob not be eating the optional dinners especially on my other tour they are the ones everyone is saying are terrible and that is what most of the optionals are on that tour! i have checked in my rick steve’s tour book – yes i have one and no i am not afraid to admit it – and their are dinners that he recommends for way less then that and when you are on a tight budget every penny (or euro in this case) counts so i am not going to be wasting money on food that i hear isn;t that good.

Also does anyone know anything about this tipping the TM and the driver at the end of the tour?
    ? I am from australia and we don’t tip here and i am just finding that a bit weird to me i mean they are alreading getting commisions left right and center and are being paid to travel around and party why would they need tips???

Sam488

hi rikki i think most of us here are getting in early i am not sure about london but apparently most of paris is still open could be different i guess

Sam488

also wouldn’t the boxing day holiday be the friday? cause christmas day is on a thursday this year maybe it is different elsewhere but our public hols here normally only change if the holiday is on a weekend?? i could be totally wrong i am just curious

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.