Community_discussions_small  

Question

turkey sailing

19 Apr 2013 Explorer1245403 asked

Default_avatar

hi, was wondering if it would be silly to go on the 8day turkish cruise by yourself?? or would you recommend going with friends, does anybody else tend to do this on there own??

• 28 Apr 2013 Steph said

Steph

I’m going on my own in July! Bit nervous but should be ok!

• 1 May 2013 jcostelsm said

Default_avatar

Im also going on my own in June! I think it will be super easy to meet others so I am not worried.

• 2 May 2013 Steph said

Steph

I’ve spoken to the contiki guys and apparently the contiki travellers all get roomed together in one section of the boat so that’s comforting :)

• 2 May 2013 Chris713 said

Default_avatar

Have you guys not done a contiki before? Usually the majority of people on the tours are doing it solo. That’s the point of tours and travel to meet new people! :)

What do you mean the contiki travellers get roomed together? A gullet can only hold up to 18 passengers. Nowhere does it mention that there would be others on it. The boat will be owned or hired by contiki for the purposes of the tour. It’s a small sailing boat.

Anyone doing the 6th of July tour?

• 2 May 2013 rmcgirl03 said

Default_avatar

I’m going solo in June. I figure that on a boat it will be hard NOT to meet people! :)

• 4 May 2013 Explorer1250380 said

Default_avatar

Anyone doing the June 28 trip?

• 9 May 2013 rmcgirl03 said

Default_avatar

I’m doing the June 28h trip! But I was wondering if anyone has looked into transfers from the Bodrum Airport to the Harbor. The quote my travel agent gave me is REALLY high, but the only company that would be covered under my trip insurance. I am torn between using a company I know would be reliable, and just going off of reviews online to save literally, $100’s of dollars.

• 9 May 2013 Explorer1250380 said

Default_avatar

Hi rmcgirl- Where are you coming in from maybe we can split the cab ride. Honestly I didn’t even check that far ahead,lol I haven’t even bought my air yet. Just paid for Contiki!

• 9 May 2013 rmcgirl03 said

Default_avatar

Well to be honest, if my travel agent hadn’t brought it up I would have just gotten a cab. But from what I’ve read, you might want to set up a transfer as cabs might actually be more expensive. I’m doing a 2 week tour before this so will be coming from Istanbul. I am on a work trip so don’t have my paperwork so don’t know when I land for sure, but think it’s between 1-2pm.

• 9 May 2013 Chris713 said

Default_avatar

I would just get a cab…

• 9 May 2013 Chris713 said

Default_avatar

Also what do you mean by “The quote my travel agent gave me is REALLY high, but the only company that would be covered under my trip insurance”. Are you sure this is correct? I think your travel agent is just trying to sell you one of their supported transfers so that they get a commission. I travelled the world for 5 months in 2011 and ahve done numerous contikis, and I have never heard of anthing where an insurance company would specifiy what sort of transport you can use. Sounds a bit ridiculous.

• 18 May 2013 newtraveller said

Default_avatar

I’m thinking of doing this tour on 13th July, it would be my first time travelling alone, so a bit nervous! My questioons are, how do you get from the airport to the boat? How big is the boat? Can Contiki suggest/ arrange flights? Also food wise I dont eat meat/fish, but persume they cater for that?

• 18 May 2013 rmcgirl03 said

Default_avatar

Actually, my travel agent is great and told me not to go with the group her agency was backing becasue she also thought it was too high. Her company is backed by American Express and there are only certian companies they will insure. And since I’m doing 2 weeks in Turkey before this trip I can’t insure my whole trip through Contiki so am insuring everything through her instead. She did some research and gave me a few companies I could book on my own for transfers that has good reviews.

• 29 Jul 2013 Manisha Kunta said

Manisha Kunta

Hi guys,

I am doing the Turkish sail on Sept 14th… i am travelling solo so anything you would recommend, How much was the cab fare from the airport to the boat/port and how was the trip over all?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.