Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Travel Insurance

3 Jun 2008 Jessica83 said

Default_avatar
How many people take contiki's travel insurance? Does it cover everything? Flight, luggage, cancellation, medical etc? Or should I be booking through another company? What would you do?
  • 3 Jun 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

The travel insurance offered by Contiki will depend on where you reside. If you are from the US, the provider is BerkelyCare which is very comprehesive. Ask your travel agent or regional Contiki office and they can direct you to the associated provider for your region and you can look at the fine print. Shop around though – there could be better deals out there.

- Vic

• 3 Jun 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

I went with Contiki’s insurance, I find keeping everything “under one umbrella” always makes things easier rather then dealing with some random 3rd party insurance company. I’m from Canada and my travel agent was gonna sell me her usual insurance coverage she promotes. I mentioned Contiki’s insurance to her and upon reading the Contiki insurance details, it provided better coverage at 1/2 the cost. So the choice was obvious. I know for the Canadian package it covers cancellation, interuption, luggage up to $2500, medical, and some accidental death benefits I think.

• 3 Jun 2008 Jessica83 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the info…I kinda like the keep everything “under one umbrella” idea as well….and being from canada that info helps, thanks JeffersonNYSE…by the way did you book your flight with contiki too? I’m flying out to Toronto…..thanks for the help!

• 3 Jun 2008 Jessica83 said

Default_avatar

I’ll be flying Out of Toronto…

• 3 Jun 2008 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

Lol I guess I’m eating my words now Jessica83, cuz I didn’t book my flight with Contiki. I of course was going to, but they quoted my travel agent a price a couple hundred dollars more then then her sources were quoting. I’m flying out of Calgary via…British Midland I think.

• 3 Jun 2008 JessiB said

Default_avatar

if you’re in canada go with Blue Cross for health… if you live in a house you have home insurance even if it your parent’s house so it covers any lost of stolen items… call your home insurance company for more information.
    Blue cross is really great – i’m paying 83$ for a whole years worth of travel medical insurance.

everything “under one umbrella” is convenient but if your on a budget ro already have some existing insurance it’s not a bad idea to shop around.

Even CAA has travel insurance if your a member

• 3 Jun 2008 JessiB said

Default_avatar

I’m flying out of Calgary too, however on July 9th, but i’m from Edmonton

• 3 Jun 2008 AndrewW said

Default_avatar

I went with RBC insurance. It was a lot cheaper and covered alot more. If you book with a travel agent, they will explain the costs of each insurance and what it covers.

• 4 Jun 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar

For those of you in Australia after some cheap travel insurance, since I’m heading to the USA straight after Europe, my 3 month insurance was going to cost an arm and a leg.

Lucky my travel agent is my mates cousin, she said not to bother booking the STA Travel/Flight Centre/Student Flights etc travel insurance cause it’s all a rip off. She gave me the website for the insurance that the travel agents use, it cut my insurance from $525 down to $240 for 3 months of worldwide cover…

http://www.nomadsworld.com/page.asp?backpack=travel+insurance

• 4 Jun 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1095647:
    For those of you in Australia after some cheap travel insurance, since I’m heading to the USA straight after Europe, my 3 month insurance was going to cost an arm and a leg.

Lucky my travel agent is my mates cousin, she said not to bother booking the STA Travel/Flight Centre/Student Flights etc travel insurance cause it’s all a rip off. She gave me the website for the insurance that the travel agents use, it cut my insurance from $525 down to $240 for 3 months of worldwide cover…

The insurance is supplied by Allianz too, so it’s not some sort of scam-like thing.

http://www.nomadsworld.com/page.asp?backpack=travel+insurance

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.