Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Potential Euro 1 month Tour

3 Dec 2010 Yoshy said

Yoshy
Hey gang,

I am interested in doing a 4 week + Euro experience. I am doing my research with hope to leave from Canada in Fall 2011.

I am still on the fence as to whether I want to pick-up and head there without a group/tour and have my own itinerary and work in local pubs for quick cash day to day or do I want to go with an organized group.

If any of you could give me pros and cons to both based on your past experiences I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Josh.
  • 4 Dec 2010 Thatxgrrrl said

Default_avatar

Hi Josh.

I really think it depends on the experience you want to have. It sounds like if you develop your own itinerary and work in some local pubs, you may have a more “local” experience as opposed to taking a tour, which may provide a more adventure-oriented holiday experience. I don’t necessarily think one is better than the other; it’s more about what you want to get out of the experience. The perks of taking the tour is that everything is already planned out and all you have to do is show up. Most of what you will do/see are the major tourist sites and attractions. There will be places that you may want to spend more time or see more of, and that’s when traveling independently may be better. You will meet a lot of new people, many from all over the world, but you may not have much time to meet locals in the places you travel through. That being said, in my opinion a lot of what made the Contiki experience successful was meeting my tour mates and experiencing these new places and adventures together. And a few times some of us did break away from the (larger) group to venture on our own and experience more “local” culture.

Also, there are other touring companies that aren’t as structured in terms of daily activities or on travel dates. I’ve never done one, but from what I understand you get to a city (with others on the same “tour”) and you have X number of free days in that city to do whatever you want and when you are ready to leave, you find out when the next coach is coming and move on to the next city. That way you can do your own thing or coordinate with other people on that same tour.

Anyway, I’ve said a lot and I hope it makes sense. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Good luck and happy travels!

• 4 Dec 2010 Yoshy said

Yoshy
    quote:
    Originally posted by Thatxgrrrl:
    Hi Josh.

I really think it depends on the experience you want to have. It sounds like if you develop your own itinerary and work in some local pubs, you may have a more “local” experience as opposed to taking a tour, which may provide a more adventure-oriented holiday experience. I don’t necessarily think one is better than the other; it’s more about what you want to get out of the experience. The perks of taking the tour is that everything is already planned out and all you have to do is show up. Most of what you will do/see are the major tourist sites and attractions. There will be places that you may want to spend more time or see more of, and that’s when traveling independently may be better. You will meet a lot of new people, many from all over the world, but you may not have much time to meet locals in the places you travel through. That being said, in my opinion a lot of what made the Contiki experience successful was meeting my tour mates and experiencing these new places and adventures together. And a few times some of us did break away from the (larger) group to venture on our own and experience more “local” culture.

Also, there are other touring companies that aren’t as structured in terms of daily activities or on travel dates. I’ve never done one, but from what I understand you get to a city (with others on the same “tour”) and you have X number of free days in that city to do whatever you want and when you are ready to leave, you find out when the next coach is coming and move on to the next city. That way you can do your own thing or coordinate with other people on that same tour.

Anyway, I’ve said a lot and I hope it makes sense. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Good luck and happy travels!

That was a great help, thanks a ton. Do you know of any websites off the top of your head?

• 4 Dec 2010 Thatxgrrrl said

Default_avatar

Try busabout.com. I think there may even be an option to design your own route.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.