Community_discussions_small  

Comment

A few questions for a firsttime Contikier

11 Apr 2009 Explorer1124465 said

Default_avatar
Hey all,

I'm doing my first Contiki tour in exactly a month and had a few questions:

1) What type of suitcase would be best...? I'm doing an 18 day tour but will be there three days early and two days later on my own. I'd prefer to bring something big but am nervous about having to carry a big suitcase around one the 5 days I'm not on the tour.

2) When does contiki usually send their itinerary. I booked the trip two months ago and haven't received any mail from them. Should I call them or do they send it closer to the tour date?

3) Does anyone have any hostel recommendations for London. Specifically somewhere with a good location that is clean, safe, and fun?

Thanks for the help!
  • 11 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

Hey, I don’t know the answer to all the questions but I do know that you don’t get your contiki wallet and the rest of your documents until 3-5 weeks before your departure date. If you go to the imperial hotel in london’s website ( http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/county1_hotel.aspx ) you will see that they have another hotel (one of the six they own) that is called the County and it is pretty cheap by London standards (they have single rooms but every 4 rooms share a restroom). Also Contiki has restrictions to what size/weight luggage you can bring. (about airline carry on size) but you can prob find that out either on here or contikipedia.

• 11 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

By the way, Where ya goin?

• 11 Apr 2009 Explorer1124465 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the help. I’m doing European Highlights in mid-May. Can’t wait!

• 11 Apr 2009 LorneB said

LorneB

Bring a big suitcase, you will have more stuff coming home with you, EX. souvenirs, purchased clothes.
    You will recieve your Itinerary appoximately one month before Departure.
    Nevr been to London, have no idea.

• 14 Apr 2009 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

I did the European highlights in September 08 it was pretty fun! as for the suitcase, you are allowed a fair sized one, not too big and not to small how ever i found that if you have an expandable suitcase it helps too because they only measure and weigh your bag before you leave and not on the trip so your suitcase has room to grow. also i don’t know if you are choosing to stay at royal national or imperial but if you are close to the contiki basement you can get them to keep you bags there for a couple of pounds a day

• 14 Apr 2009 Kayleigh L Degraw said

Kayleigh L Degraw

chelsea1013

i am doing the GBR and SI tour as well only i am going in August Are you excited? have you heard anything interesting? let me know!

have fun!

• 14 Apr 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

I wouldn’t worry about your suitcase so much the days before and after the tour. The bigger it is the heavier it is and the quicker you’ll get sick of dragging it around. On my first tour in europe I brought the biggest suitcase allowed and hated the thing half way through. When you’re moving every day or every other day you learn that you really didn’t need everything you brought with you.

• 14 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

Hey Kayleigh,
    I am soooo excited about going! I sounds like its going to be awesome! I am going to blog while I am there if you are interested. The website address for my blog is http://summerofchelsea.blogspot.com/ .

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.