Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Greek Islands Packing List..

2 Apr 2008 amer said

amer
Just found this on the web..Some of you may be interested..

My number one rule is to take less, not more. What's the saying? "You'll need to take far fewer clothes and much more money that you think you'll need." Likely sound advice. I'm usually anxious about not having enough clothes, or not enough variety, etc. and I always end up with stuff I never wear.

- A soft duffle or bag is great as a carry on. Most international flights are now restricting carry-on allowance to one bag, and with the new security regulations things are tighter than ever.

- For dressing, some areas in Greece are traditional and very relaxed, others, like Mykonos, can be more cosmopolitan. What you'll need for Santorini is obviously going to be different from a mountain village. But the usual rule is dress comfortably and casually. You'll only need something dressy for going out, or if you're clubbing, etc.

- I usually pack a couple pairs of pants (one lighter for comfort, one darker and dressier), 1 good pair shorts, 1 light sweater or pullover (depending on the season), 3-4 Tee, muscle or polo shirts, 1 nice long-sleeved shirt, comfortable shoes and sandals, 1 bathing suit. I try and look for the most wrinkle-friendly stuff I own.

- Beach sandals and leather sandals can always be bought in Greece, same with T-shirts and hats (you'll be buying a T somewhere for sure, even if it only says "Ellada", so that's reason enough to take one less than you think you'll need!).

- sturdy walking shoes (broken in) with ankle support or even very lightweight hiking boots are a good idea for off-road trekking. It seems like everything nice to see in Greece is at the top of a mountain or hill, hahaha. Wear these things on the plane; if they're too heavy and uncomfortable for the flight, leave them home.

- Take a light windbreaker or sweatshirt or pullover if you're traveling in the spring or fall. It can be cool in the late evenings on some islands and of course anywhere in the mountains.

- Try to short yourself on socks and underwear (i.e. don't take too many), because it's easy to rinse things at night and recycle them. Sandals really cut down on the need for socks.

- Remember the obvious essentials (camera, bathing suit, quality sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, rubber beach sandals, etc). The sun is very strong in Greece. The sand is also very hot, you'll need beach sandals not just for that but to protect your feet from sea-urchins, pebbles, etc.

- Insect repellent! Mosquitos can be a problem in some areas.

- A few photos of family, home, etc. Good for showing curious locals.

- Dictionary and/or phrasebook if you need them. Maps and guidebook.

- Large and small zip-lock bags are handy to hold wet stuff, small items, receipts, maps, notebook / travel diary, jewelry, lotions, toiletries, extra batteries, etc.

- Money belt or pack for those wads of cash you might be carrying. ATMs are generally abundant. In some villages and more remote islands, however, they aren't as plentiful and if one breaks it might not get fixed immediately.

- Leave appliances like irons, hairdryers, etc. at home if you can.

- A small container of laundry soap (for rinsing undies, socks) is a great idea.

- Rubber 'universal' sink plug. Very handy for rinsing stuff at night when the sink in your room doesn't have any stopper. Now that tip alone is worth a million bucks!!!!! Spot removal stick is a great thing to take too, along with laundry detergent.

- If you're staying in finer hotels, things like shampoo, etc. will be provided. I usually don't bring too many toiletries - it's fun to buy them there and have the Greek packaging. They are pretty expensive, it's true, but they make good souvenirs as they remind me of being in Greece when I use them at home.

- Medications in their original packaging.

- For women, a sarong style scarf for a quick wrap or emergency skirt is a great idea. Some monasteries do not allow bare legs or arms, so they're great to have along just in case. Talk about being versatile; I have heard of them being used as light blankets, tops, picnic blankets, bandana hats, shopping bags (when tied properly), luggage ties, nightgowns, emergency curtains, tablecloths, rolled-up neck pillows, and for mood-lighting when thrown over a lamp! They're sold pretty much everywhere in Greece.

- Another suggestion for women is an oversized T-shirt for sleeping or for use as a beach cover-up.

- A day pack or fanny pack is really, really useful.

- A paperback book about Greece is a good idea, like Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Greece on the Half Shell, My Family and Other Animals, Dinner with Persephone, etc. Books you read you don't have to repack, you can trade them or leave them behind. If you're taking an iPod or MP3 player, try loading it with some good Greek music, whether it's top 10 or traditional stuff.

- A Swiss army knife or multi tool (with corkscrew wine-opener) can be handy. Not for your carry-on bag, obviously!

- A length of string or cord can be handy for lots of things, including rigging a clothesline.

- Your address book, electronic organizer or whatever other gadget you might need

- Universal plug adaptor if you have to recharge camera batteries, etc. Greece is on 220V. Many of today's electronics are dual voltage (110 and 220V) so check beforehand to see if you need a full converter or just a plug adaptor to fit the outlets.

- Extra digital media (for a digital camera) and/or spare batteries for your gadgets

Every trip is going to be different, of course, depending on the season, destination, and your activities - this list is just meant as a starting point!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.