Community_discussions_small  

Question

Big plans for August - September 2014

5 May 2013 kombichic asked

kombichic

hi everyone, i'm planning on doing the Eastern Discovery, Grand Northern and then Wild Western, hoping in August-September 2014. Has anyone got any tips on what to pack/not to pack, how much spending money i will need, and optional extras that i should or shouldn't do, and just any information that you think would be very useful. I've never traveled on my own and so far away so want to get things planned now.

• 22 Jun 2013 bronn said

bronn

these are my questions too! im doing the grand northern on the 8th of august 2014. im hoping to have $10,000 spending (thanks to the bank) but ive heard a lady said $4,000 was enough spending but im going to Hawaii for 14 days, la for 8, nyc for 2 and than new york uncovered 4 day + the 26 day contiki, my mum suggested to get a separate card for a food card =) my travel consultant sugested to pack for ever season, im looking for some answers so when i find out ill reply back here =)

• 23 Jun 2013 kombichic said

kombichic

thank you, can’t really find any info anywhere. i’ve been told by a few people to have around $100 per day, excluding extra activities. i start grand northern on 1 of august, doing east before that and west afterwards.

• 23 Jun 2013 bronn said

bronn

Defiantly thats a good budget because some days you wont spend anything and some days you will spend more so it all evens out =) I too have my activities separate to my food and to daily allowances just to be on the safe side =) i figured out that we are driving on the bus for aprox 83 hours to the general area we are staying (not the travel to the activities) so give and take time ( i used a travel planner, im not smart enough to be able to figure it out) if you want i can give you the individual times that i was told i.e new york to boston is 4 hours and 12 minutes =) im having trouble finding out temps for the months for this year to get a idea on what next year could be like but no success as i cant find out the suburbs ect

• 23 Jun 2013 kombichic said

kombichic

wow you are super organised! any extra info that you have, i will take lol. i really have no idea whta i’m doing, first time traveler :)

• 20 Jul 2013 Miss J said

Miss J

Hi guys :)

I’m a first time traveller as well. I’m not doing this tour with you but I am doing the Best of USA followed by the Eastern Discovery in May of next year. As for budgeting I’m hoping to save around 8 grand for spending.
    But what I did do to help me budget is I looked through the itineraries for both tours and added up the cost for ALL of the optional tours, even if I knew I wouldn’t do one. This gave me a rough estimate of what I’d spend just on optional activities so have saved that up and just treating that as if it was an added cost of the tour. This means that anything I save from now until May is my spending money :)

Did this make sense? lol

Hope this helped :)

Jade

• 21 Jul 2013 kombichic said

kombichic

that sounds like a good idea Jade, i might do that too! haha yes it all makes sense. Thanks for the idea
    Christie

• 22 Jul 2013 Todd said

Todd

I’m thinking (most likely) i’ll be doing 2014 grand northern (sept19-oct14) and then wild western (oct15-28), i’ve done 2 contiki’s already in new zealand and europe, once you’ve paid off your tour/flights/insurance etc, with your spending money include your optional activites (prices are on the tour page as you go along) food thats not included in the tour, shopping/souvenirs amd what not

• 22 Jul 2013 Todd said

Todd

and yeah, you are on the bus for a long time when travelling to places but its broken up by stops and generally you can sleep and relax, talk to people etc, for more info, there are discussion forums on here (can’t remember what exact name they go under but just scroll thru the forums and theres also a facebook page in general for USA, type in contiki USA 2014 and join group, also if your interested in europe, facebook, contiki eurotrip 2013, that one alone has 2000+ people, doesnt matter what year you plan on doing it.

• 11 Aug 2013 Tegan said

Tegan

I’m doing the Grand Northern 12th of September 2014 and I can’t wait. I think the extra optional tours add up to be about a $1000 if you do all of them.

• 22 Aug 2013 Dan_NZ said

Dan_NZ

Hey Kombichic, what date are you doing wild western next year? im doing it on 10th september. also doing canada and the rockies afterwards starting 28th sept.
    Daniel

• 22 Aug 2013 kombichic said

kombichic

i finish 9th september. can’t remember the start date lol

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion