Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Costa Rica Unplugged

7 May 2013 Bec said

Bec

Hola I just got back from Contiki Costa rica. This trip was amazing!!! The country is so beautiful and the people are really nice. Totally recommend this trip to anyone. Our tour guide Andreas was really helpful and had so much knowledge of his country including the plant and animal life. The canyoneering optional is totally worth the money and the zipplining through the cloud forest in Monteverde was amazing also. The catamaran sailing optional was also lots of fun and a chance to sunbake, snorkel and have a drink (alcohol is included :) Make sure you pack warmer clothes as well as the temperature varied a far bit depending on where we were. You will also need shoes that you can wear in the water - especially for whitewater rafting and canyoneering. The accommodation was pretty nice for the most part. Some places nicer than others. Most with pools. Food was served buffet style with a big selection of choices and was pretty good although you will get sick of seeing rice and beans for breakfast! The fruit tastes amazing over there!!! Our tour had 23 amazing people mostly from Aus, Can, USA and UK. It was a really great bunch of people and a really good group size. Hot tip - Take bug spray that works - the mosquitos had a feast on me even with spray on. Also bring medication for gastro. Many of the people on our trip got sick -myself included. However it is easy enough to buy from the pharmacy over there. Most places will accept US dollars or Colones but if you pay in US your change will be given back in Colones. ATMS for MasterCard are harder to find, The majority we found will accept VISA. There are certain ATMS that can disperse US or Colones. This was my first Contiki and I loved every minute. This trip is on the go most of the tour, expect to be up early most mornings for different day trips. But there is still time to relax by the pool with a drink! Pura Vida!!! Bec x

• 27 May 2013 Meggles said

Meggles

Awesome to read this!! Thanks so much for sharing! Heading on this trip in December and have found it hard to hear from anyone who has been on it so finding this was PERFECT!

• 27 May 2013 Bec said

Bec

Ur welcome Hun. Like u there wasn’t much on about this trip before I left. Just thought id help out the next tours with some info. Ours was only the 5th tour group to go so thats why there isnt much on here! Hope u have an amazing time!!! :)

• 4 Jun 2013 sam.spee said

sam.spee

This was really helpful, thanks :) I’m heading over in September. Keen!

• 24 Jul 2013 Christie said

Christie

Hi! Fantastic review Bec!
    Was just wondering if you did this trip on its own or in conjunction with a second trip?
    I was thinking about doing another Latin American tour like The Adventurer and then Costa Rica Unplugged afterwards in Nov/Dec/Jan, it’s just hard finding two tours that aren’t too close/far apart. I’d be travelling alone so kind of unsure what to do :/ Also, would you say Costa Rica is a good place for a first-time solo traveller and Contiki-er?

• 24 Jul 2013 Bec said

Bec

Hey Christie
    I did this trip on its own but if i’d have been able to get more time off I would have done a couple of tours. 2 tours sound amazing. If your travelling alone Contiki is perfect cuz you easily make friends with everyone on tour very quickly. Make sure you have at least 1 night before and 1 night after accommodation of each tour. After my tour a few went to mexico or the USA. Costa Rica is beautiful, I loved it but the adventure and the rainforest environment appealed to me. In terms of being a first time solo traveller I think any tour you choose with Contiki will be great. Read through the itineraries and choose the ones that u like the most. :) Hope that helps a bit!

• 25 Jul 2013 Christie said

Christie

Hi Bec, thanks for your reply! It sounds so amazing, I’m getting really excited to organise it all :) I have a couple of friends who might be joining me as well now so that takes away some of the worries about being alone in a foreign country haha. The tours I have been looking at have around 3-5 days between them so that wouldn’t be a problem.

I have a couple more questions about this tour as well.
    Did you find this tour to be more nature/wildlife and seeing the sights rather than party, party, party like other Contikis seem to be about? I like partying and all, it’s just not something I want to do EVERY night like a lot of people seem to want to do on Contiki. And also, what was the average age of people on this tour?

• 25 Jul 2013 Bec said

Bec

Dont worry about being on your own with Contiki your never alone!! :)
    As for nature/wildlife get ready for lots of rainforest walks… theres even one in the dark. As for partying, a lot of the towns you visit are a bit on the quiet side (also depending on the actual day it is your there) Our group had a good mix there were some nights where we would all go out and some nights where only a couple did so i suppose it will just depend on the group you have on tour. I liked not being hungover every day on tour. The average age will always be different for every tour as once again it depends on the group who book but the average age for mine was prob about 24/25.

• 27 Jul 2013 Christie said

Christie

Yeah, I know, just the getting to/from airports and hotels part was worrying me!
    Sounds amazing, I loooove rainforest walks and a few big nights sounds ideal.
    Thanks heaps for answering my questions and giving advice :) I’m thinking of booking this with Mexico Grande, not too sure yet!

• 27 Jul 2013 sam.spee said

sam.spee

Bec, what would you recommend for luggage on this trip? I am in the market and am not sure whether to buy a suitcase or backpack. Also, what’s the bug situation like? I’m not great with bugs haha.

And Christie, Mexico is a must! I did the Mexican Fiesta in November and my only regret is I didn’t do the Grande instead.

• 27 Jul 2013 Christie said

Christie

Oh really? I’m so torn! I wanna do The Adventurer to visit Peru, Brazil and Argentina but I really wanna do Costa Rica and Mexico too! Arghhh don’t know what to pick! I hate making decisions lol.

• 27 Jul 2013 Bec said

Bec

I used booked easy rider shuttle service to get to the hotel. And booked my transfer bak to the airport through the reception desk at the hotel. I had a suitcase but a backpack prob would have been better for this trip. A lot of the time I had to get a nice strong male to carry it up stairs or across the gravel or into the boat for me!! ;) lol but either option will work .

• 19 Aug 2013 Matthew said

Matthew

Sick post! This tour sounds amazing but not much feedback on it. The more I read about this tour the better it sounds.

• 30 Aug 2013 Conitki4life said

Conitki4life

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you all another review. I have done this Contiki trip as well and it was amazing. I did it January 2013 (was the 2nd group ever for Contiki Costa Rica). This trip was so much fun- I had a blast :) If any one is considering this trip – book it!!!!

• 16 Oct 2013 fineshot2000 said

fineshot2000

Going February 1-12th, 2014. Cannot wait. It’ll be my 3rd Contiki I’ve done.

• 16 Oct 2013 Teija said

Teija

Hi Bec, thanks for this post! Very informative! I’m going March 1-12, and this just answered a bunch of my questions :)

• 23 Oct 2013 Melissa said

Melissa

Hi Bec,

Any suggestions on if we need some type of hiking boots or do you think tennis shoes are ok? I’m heading out there on the Nov 30th tour so any advice would be great!

thanks!

• 23 Oct 2013 Bec said

Bec

Hey Melissa
    U should be fine with tennis shoes.. That’s all I had but if they r anything like mine there’s not much bottom so at times u could feel all the stones on the ground. Keep in mind for whitewater rafting if u choose to go u will need shoes also as they won’t let u do it in flip flops. Have fun Hun it’s an amazing trip!!

• 23 Oct 2013 Melissa said

Melissa

awesome thanks so much!!! very helpful!

• 6 Jan 2014 Michelle said

Michelle

What time of year did you go? I’m considering going June/ July and found out that’s their green (rainy) season and now I’m a bit concerned.

• 10 Jan 2014 Bec said

Bec

Hey i went in May and it rained a little then. Not sure if there is anyone else on here that might have going june/july at all?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion