Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Turkish Delight Review

16 Sep 2010 Nat said

Nat
Hey everyone! I just got back from this trip - Turkey is amazing and I had a really great group! Here is a review as I noticed there aren't any.

We had 20 people which our tour guide, Ahmet, said is smaller than usual. The ages of the group ranged from 21-37 but the average age was around 30.

Turkey in general is alot more western than I expected, but it still has a unique culture. The metro/tram is very safe and easy to use and a trip from the airport to the city is about an hour and costs 3 Lira. The taxi takes 40mins and costs approx. 50 Lira.

Day 1 Istanbul:
Our tour meeting was at 7pm, we stayed at the Erbil Hotel. It's alright and very close to all the sights, but there are nicer hotels around.

Day 2 Canakkale (Gallipoli):
We drove a few hours to Gallipoli which was very beautiful but sad at the same time. We stopped by the same beach our soldiers arrived on, then to the Australian/NZ and Turkish memorials. We also got to walk around the trenches.

The hotel here is alright, they have a nice pool and are near a beach. But the beach is pretty dirty which we discovered after about 10mins in the water so we ended up sunbaking.

Day 3 Kusadasi:
Troy wasn't very exciting but our guide taught us some interesting facts about the different levels of Troy and how they used to live. We went to an Onyx factory which had so many items made of the stone and a jewellery shop as well. That night our bus driver took us out to some random club with Contiki discounts. It was fun and got really busy with locals later in the night.

The Kusadasi hotel is a resort! It was really nice and the buffet breakfast and dinner was great.

Day 4 Kusadasi:
The Ephesus ruins are a must see! We visited a carpet factory on the way back and we saw how they made the carpets - they are all handmade and takes years to complete, it really made us appreciate them more. We also did the Turkish bath, they scrub you and soap you and I'm surprised at how much skin came off me! But all 20 of us were there at once and I felt that they rushed us towards the end, some got a little massage but I was one of the last and missed out. That night we went back into town to an Irish karoake pub which had nothing Irish about it, but still was a great night.

Day 5 Pamukkale:
It was really really windy this day and not a good day to be out, but the pools are amazing. We walked in the fake thermal pools (the real ones are protected now), it's nice and warm but very slippery!

The hotel here was also a little resort and had 2 of their own thermal pools, one really hot and the other warm, and then a normal cold pool for afterwards. They also had an indoor spa/pool which we spent hours in.

Day 6 Istanbul:
Today was an 8 hour drive back to Istanbul, we played some games on the bus then some of us chatted while others caught up on sleep.

Day 7 Istanbul:
We did the major sights today - Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar and Blue Mosque were included in the tour. We had free time after lunch so I went back with a couple of the girls to see the Aya Sofia and Underground Cistern, even though it's not included I recommend that you check them out!

Day 8 Istanbul:
The tour ended in the morning but a few people had an extra night and saw some more city sights, including a Bosphorus cruise.

Overall I absolutely loved Turkey and the trip had the perfect amount of sightseeing and free time. If anyone has more questions just PM me Smiler
  • 16 Sep 2010 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

Great review. Thanks for the info. You didn’t mention much partying on the trip. Was there an option to go out everynight?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion