Community_discussions_small  

Comment

compulsory food fund

10 Jan 2008 Lauren said

Default_avatar
hey everyone, just wondering if we pay for our food fund when we get to our tour, or should we already have paid for it when we booked? just looking at my trip itinery and the price seems to only include the contiki trip and not the food fund.

thanks, Lauren
  • 10 Jan 2008 Sue-ellen said

Sue-ellen

Hi Lauren,
    I am pretty sure that it has to be paid before you leave for your tour, as when i went through flight centre to book all of my trip, they said it had to be paid before hand. Hope this helps!

• 10 Jan 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Hey Laurne
    Not sure what you mean by food fund? But your meals that are included should be listed in your itinerarry. So you figure you are probably paying for half of your meals. I’d average about 7-10 euros for lunch and 12-30 euros for a decently nice dinner. I don’t eat much so I get away with paying less. Also to keep cost down find a place that you don’t have to order all of the courses just get a main dish and maybe a side or dessert. Eat at places on side streets where the locals go its much cheaper and usually better food and service. Not sure if thats what you are looking for though.

If you are talking about the optional dinners ect you do have to pay those at the beginning of your trip and in local currency (cash). Your TM will have you fill out what you want to do and any special food request (veggie, no pork, food allergies ect) at the meeting.

• 10 Jan 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Hey MJ – the Contrasts is a concept trip so there is an additional food fund ($609) to be paid (for us coming from Australia, I’m not sure if this is different in the US *note for Matt & Vic).

Lauren – I think you pay the food fund when you arrive and start your trip – I will check this with Contiki staff for you and let you know…stay tuned!

• 10 Jan 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

There is no “Food Fund” for European Concept/Budget Tours booked from North America. That said, the North American prices are higher to include this cost.

- Vic

• 10 Jan 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

But there is from Australia! Damn-nit!

You have to pay the food fund as part of your tour cost, so, before you go.

• 10 Jan 2008 Geoff C said

Geoff C
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lauren:
    hey everyone, just wondering if we pay for our food fund when we get to our tour, or should we already have paid for it when we booked? just looking at my trip itinery and the price seems to only include the contiki trip and not the food fund.

thanks, Lauren

I assume this is to make the trip appear ‘cheaper.’ sigh

• 10 Jan 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Thanks PinaI. Learn something new every day Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Jan 2008 Lauren said

Default_avatar

thanks 4 all your help everyone, how do i know if i’ve paid for the food fund though? would my travel agent have automatically done it? I haven’t heard anything from contiki saying I still need to pay more money so I presume I must’ve paid it?

• 11 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

SoCalGuy, they do the pricing differently for different regions. Americans have the hotel the night before included, a sleeping bag and the food fund included in the price.

• 11 Jan 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lauren:
    thanks 4 all your help everyone, how do i know if i’ve paid for the food fund though? would my travel agent have automatically done it? I haven’t heard anything from contiki saying I still need to pay more money so I presume I must’ve paid it?

Check with your travel agent Lauren. How much did you pay in total? The Contrasts tour by itself (from Australia)is $3399 and the food fund is $609. If you’ve paid all of that then you’re done, if you’ve only paid the tour then there might be more to come.

• 15 Jan 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I think this is something Contiki is looking at because it’s not done like that anywhere else. I know MattyV knows about and David too, if anyone can bring it to their attention, they can!

• 20 Jan 2008 Geoff C said

Geoff C

I e-mailed contiki about this and this is their response (for Europe Contrasts):

Hi Geoff
    The $715per person for the compulsory food fund has to be paid to us on top of the NZ$3979 for the tour. The reason they have to have it separate from the tour cost is so they don’t have to pay tax on top of it because all the food is brought locally while you are on tour.
    Hopefully that makes sense. The food fund covers Breakfast every morning and about 1/2 of your dinners while on tour.

Kind Regards,

Candace Swale

• 20 Jan 2008 MikeEd said

Default_avatar

Well thats good thinking by them then.
    NZ and Ozie have GST and NA doesn’t to my knowledge. So that would be the reason in the pricing differences.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.