Community_discussions_small  

Comment

if you need any advice or have any questions..

29 Jan 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
i just got back from the european encounter (winter), so if anyone has any questions or needs advice.. feel free to ask Smiler
  • 2 Feb 2010 Explorer1167689 said

Default_avatar

hi just wondering if you had to pay for entry tickets for places like Louvre etc?

• 2 Feb 2010 torz said

Default_avatar

hey..
    yeah entry fees for places like the louvre and the eiffel tower is all up to you to pay for, because its totally up to you whether you want to go to these places in your free time or not.

• 20 Feb 2010 mi_fusion said

mi_fusion

hey!

just curious, what was the weather like when you went there? Like what was the worst you had to deal with, and what clothing did u have? Also what months did you go?
    Curious about how much you ended up spending as well per day..? Did you encounter any problems at all?

• 20 Feb 2010 torz said

Default_avatar

hey,
    i went in january, so right in the middle of winter! it was freezing in the beginning when we first arrived in london, but you begin to get used to it after a while.
    Also, we weren’t used to this extreme weather because we are from australia, and never get to experience weather like that..

Near towards the end of our tour when we were in italy and france, we had weather of about 10 or so degrees.. so that was actually warm for us, compared to what we had been in.

as far as clothing! everything warm you can think of.. a good thick warm jacket or coat! Thermals!! scarves, beanie, gloves!! your hands will get absolutely freezing!! its all about layers!!
    If your a female, wearing tights under your jeans or pants is also a good idea.
    Otherwise i wearing knee high socks under your pants, with a pair of anklet socks is also good if your feet tend to get really cold.

As for spending, everyone is different! Some people went pretty overboard and bought souveneirs from every country.. On your days where you have alot of free time, you will probably spend more, because you buy your own lunch, explore the cities and tend to go shopping.

As far as problems, no thankgod i didn’t encounter any! didn’t lose any of my valuables, as i always had my suitcase locked and always had a firm hold of my handbag. Also there were safe’s in some of the hotel rooms so that was a good thing!

Hope that helped Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Feb 2010 mi_fusion said

mi_fusion

yeah it was! = )
    very helpful! so i should bring like winter like gear?! hahah! yeah well i am from canada, so, cold weather is kind of the norm here during 6 months of the year almost!
    but curious, you brought a suite case? and you had a day bag with you during the day? o.O

so, contiki recommends 30-50 euros a day for the trip, some travellers recommend 70-100 euros per day.. you probably spent in the 70-100 euros a day for food, and entry fees to tourist sites huh?

• 7 Apr 2010 kristy said

kristy

im going on the ultimate european in june next year and i was just wondering about washing our clothes.. i know there wont be many places to do laundry so my question is: what its better?
    laundry powder or liquid concerntrate. im leaning towards liquid so if i need to i can do it in the sink of our room, but when there is a laundry place do you need to bring your own still. and would that mean id have to take powder or will liquid do ok?

• 9 Apr 2010 mish said

Default_avatar

I’m going on the European Encounter in July and was wondering if all the hotels have lifts or do some have stairs?

• 11 Apr 2010 Keray said

Keray

i am going European Encounter in August. Where did u do laundry?

• 14 Apr 2010 miss_bek said

Default_avatar

id also like to know bout the laundry qs .. and also how much are you looking at for the optional activities???

• 22 Jul 2011 JackDarcy said

Default_avatar

Either we are traveling alone or with our buddy it doesn’t matter chauffeur services are so much good they don’t make bored while traveling. So I think that it will be a good idea to have such kind of services for a better tour.

• 24 Jul 2011 KC said

KC

Hi, Explorer1167689, I’ve just got back from the Euro Encounter Summer version & our weather was superb – even in London! Only 3 grey days in the whole tour.

Just to add to your question about the museum passes. I suggest you book them beforehand. We booked the Anne Frank and Van Gogh beforehand – you can do the same with the Louvre. It saves so much time standing in the line as you go straight to the front.

• 24 Jul 2011 KC said

KC

This one’s for the ladies …

We took washing powder and it work wonderfully well in the sink. Get yourself a small washing line too. We washed all our small things in the places where we stayed 2 days & hung them up in the shower.

To be honest, there isn’t much time in places like St Goar / Lyon / Florence & Venice to do laundry, but our hotel in Innsbruck had an excellent laundry service. There was a good laundry (and internet cafe opp) just down the road from the hotel. There is also a very good Laundry service near the Royal National in London.

As for the optionals, I’ve listed some non-negotiable ones on my Euro Encounter Tips and Questions page – check it out!

Hope that helps

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.