Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Paying to use the washroom...

21 Jan 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar
I was in europe a long time ago & remember having to pay to use the bathroom in certain place, espcially at rest stops on the road..is this still the case & how much am I looking at?
  • 21 Jan 2008 Gryphon said

Default_avatar

Well, when I went on an European tour last year, normally we tipped between 50 cents to 1 euro each time, as recommended by our TM.

• 21 Jan 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Throw in a 0.50 or 2×0.20 & a 0.10 , but 1 Euro is pretty steep!!

For €1/customer, I’ll apply for a new job in a heavy-used bathroom!!! Maybe at an Autogrill or near some touristy Piazza Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

- Vic

• 21 Jan 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

On average I paid 20 cents. For the nicer ones like at the vatican (opposite side of the main one) I paid about 50 cents.

• 21 Jan 2008 Princess said

Default_avatar

Hi! I spent 3 months in France, Italy and Germany last year and expect to pay when using most public restrooms! So make sure you always have coins!

• 25 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

so does that mean 0.50 AUD or sumthing

• 25 Jan 2008 aroundthe said

Default_avatar

Depends – sometimes the washroom is techinally free but there is attendant you have to tip.
    I even saw some bathrooms with the turnpipe things that wont move unless you put money in. There are lots of places you can go to for free bathrooms. Most musumes, fastfood places, resturants (some have attendants, that if you’re feeling cheap you dont have to tip.)

• 25 Jan 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Turnstile to enter a bathroom? hummm … I think I might’ve bumped into one in Venice – in Piazza San Marco maybe?

Otherwise the bathrooms are free if you don’t mind the attendant giving you the evil eye and/or barking at you afterwards (yes I did this once – no change – oops). Thus good incentive to keep some change in your pockets.

- Vic

• 25 Jan 2008 trashywilma said

Default_avatar

that’s the one maddening thing about europe: you have to pay to pee. even if you’ve paid admission to a place (ie a zoo).

i’ve always held it as much as possible.

a tip: duck into a large chain hotel, or an expensive hotel. their toilets are usually free.
    don’t think you can pop into mcdonalds and get away with it…they often charge!

• 25 Jan 2008 aroundthe said

Default_avatar

I saw turnpipe in the a RV park/rest stop in Austria, plus the one in Germany. But the one in Germany is worth the money – The toilet automaticaly clean themselves.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.