Community_discussions_small  

Question

Big Tiki Optional activities?

16 May 2013 Donald_Kramer asked

Donald_Kramer

I am doing the Big Tiki (Auckland-Christchurch) in September and was wondering how much time is set aside for optionals in Queenstown and how much of the day each activity takes? I would like to do the skydiving, as many of the bungy jumps and swings as I can and maybe the Milford Sound trip if I have time. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with some of these questions.

• 29 May 2013 evana_rose said

Default_avatar

When I did the NZ trip it was possible for people to do all bungy jumps and swings. The tour manager organised it according to what people choose and from what I recall, most people got to do what they wanted. The bridge bungy everyone goes to and watches anyway. The others was about half a day (give or take about 3-4 hours.). The milford sound trip is an all day one. Most people did go for the skydiving, so the tour manager allocated the afternoon (after the bridge bungy day.) for that.
    From what I remember, the tour manager did organise the sky restaurant bungy on the day of Milford sound, but the people that choose that didn’t go for Milford sound. Although the group has dinner at the skyline restaurant anyway.
    As for sky diving, getting to do that depends alot on weather. My tour manager said alot of the time it doesn’t go ahead because of wind, too cloudy etc (particularly during winter/early spring.), so they also offer it in the north island…BUT do look into the weather/chances of it going ahead before paying (at the bridge site- you pay those activities.) because if it turns out it is cancelled…you don’t get your money back :(

• 23 Jul 2013 ldodsy said

ldodsy

Like the person above me said everyone goes to the bungy bridge you stop off there on your way into Queenstown well we did went i went in Jan of this year. On the first day of the tour (I just did the south island) our TM handed out the optionals list to us to pick what we wanted to do, this also gave her the time to organise everyones trips that they wished to do.
    There were people on my trip who did all of the Bungies and also did the swing, one of my tour mates did three in one day ledge, canyon swing and Nevis.
    I did the Milford Sound option it is a long day, we were picked up at 6:40am by the company who ran the trip we then travelled out to Milford Sound where we did the cruise which went for just under two hours if memory serves me correctly. Then it was back on the bus and back to Queenstown we did not arrive back into Queentstown until 7:45pm, but if you can cope with the long day it is well worth it you do stop along the way down there for some fantastic photo ops -though during bad weather the road to Milford Sound gets closed. As I said before I was there in January this year and the road got closed for two days due to the weather.
    As to Sky diving, Once again we were there early Jan middle of summer and the whole time we were there not one person got to go sky diving the weather was not right, we spoke to a few people in Queenstown who told us the sky diving at not been running for over a week due to the weather.
    When out TM organised our trips we had morning and afternoon sessions, day one in q-town we had the included jet boat, then the afternoon session was one of our optionals she also tried to book everyone in who wanted to skydive on that day incase it was canceled to give them another two full days to try again. My optionals ended up day one: jetboat which was included, afternoon whitewater rafting, day two in q-town: Milford sound all day (lunch is NOT included in the cost of the trip) that night we went to the Ice Bar (cool optional to go to), Day 3 in q-town, I had a free days but a few people on my tour did swing, ledge and Nevis. Nevis takes the longest out of all of them because you have to travel back out of q-town.
    My suggestion would be pick what you really want to do when you get the sheets on the first day then your TM will do her best to manage to get you to do all of them. But you should be able to do the four bungy’s and canyon swing along with Milford Sound with no problems. Sky diving is very weather dependant.
    Hope this helps

• 1 Aug 2013 Donald_Kramer said

Donald_Kramer

Thanks for all the advice. I noticed in Auckland that we go up the Sky Tower and was wondering if we have a chance to do the jump off of it while we are there? If not I was planning on doing that before the tour starts.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.