Community_discussions_small  

Question

Camping Tour Questions

19 May 2013 Chelsea asked

Chelsea

I am going on the Easy Rider 32 day tour from July 7th-Auust 9th by myself. Hopefully someone can answer my lingering questions?

1) Are the campsites open to strangers or is there security etc.?
2) For the days we spend at the beach or in the towns, where do you keep your important belongings? is there a place on the bus or at the campsite where you can lock all of your important documents and the bulk of your money if you don't need it for the entire day.
3) Do you recommend a suitcase or a backpack?

• 3 Jun 2013 Madeleine said

Madeleine

Hey Chelsea I’m actually on the same tour :) and I just bought a massive backpack which I can practically fit in, I thought that would be easier than trying to roll a suitcase through grass and cobblestones. Also how are you taking your money? I’ve gotten a travel pre paid card type thing so I won’t have to carry to much cash on me, but I’m pretty sure we just lock up expensive things on the bus. :)

• 7 Jun 2013 Chelsea said

Chelsea

hey!! thats so great! can’t wait to meet you!
    i actually ended up getting a small suitcase because i know my clothes would be so messy in a backpack. it just seemed a lot harder to organize. i also spoke to a contiki representative who said that a suitcase would definitely be able to fit.

I think i’m just going to bring my debit card and credit card with a little cash. what prepaid card did you use?

• 10 Jun 2013 Madeleine said

Madeleine

Can’t wait to meet you too! Not long now :) good choice! I’m actually not looking forward to carrying the backpack because I’m not that strong lol. It’s called a multi currency cash passport, my travel agent suggested I get one :)

• 10 Jun 2013 Laurie said

Laurie

Hiya! I’m going to be going on this tour too :)

I have a smallish suitcase as well. I thought that a suitcase would be the best bet cause it would be easy access to all my belongings rather than rummaging through a backpack trying to find clothes etc :)

I am taking a credit card and some cash. And I am just going to load up my credit card so it becomes like a debit card.
    Are you taking a money belt or something similar? I have one but still undecided whether I will actually use it or not.

• 11 Jun 2013 Madeleine said

Madeleine

Hey Laurie :) I’m not taking a money belt, I took one when I went to America a few years ago and it was honestly just a massive pain, I’m just taking my handbag which is a cross body one and I’ll just keep it at he front, but some people love the money belts, I just think it’s an inconvenience really, as long as your careful with your cash and passport you shouldn’t need one

• 11 Jun 2013 Chelsea said

Chelsea

i’m going to get a small money satchel thing lol it goes across your body but its small and goes under your shirt. that seemed like the best bet

• 21 Jun 2013 Sarah said

Sarah

Hey! My fiance and I did the same tour last year. All the camp sites are pretty safe I would say, just make sure your passport is always on you & only take money out every few days so if some does get stolen / lost its not too much.
    As for your belongings we just left all our stuff in our tents and we were pretty safe, no one got anything stolen from their tent that I am aware of. Like i said keep your passport on you, or even on the bus because its always locked up. They might say they aren’t responsible if it gets stolen off the bus which is fair enough, alhtough you have to be pretty lucky for someone to break into it!
    I would definatley recommend a suitcase / backpack that has wheels so you have the best of both worlds. We took suitcases with wheels although they did get a bit wrecked from dirt getting in the wheels. You will not need to ever carry your suitcase to far as the bus is normally pretty close to the camp site.
    Hope you have an awesome time, have no regrets, party hard & try everything new because if you dont you’ll only regret it when you come back.
    If you have any questions feel free to contact me because I know i had a bezillion questions before I left LOL

• 5 Oct 2013 BrookemarleySA said

BrookemarleySA

Hi guys :-)
    I have booked this tour for may 13th 2014, I was just wondering if you could tell me the names of some of the campsites you stayed at, or any general tips that you could think of?
    thanks so much in advance, can not wait for this trip

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion