Community_discussions_small  

Question

How do you book different tours or adventures?

4 Oct 2009 Noah&Lauren asked

Default_avatar
Hello! I am going in December/January, but am trying to figure out how to book different things. I see people mention that they are booking different things like to see the Last Supper, or the Vatican, but I have no idea where to start.

I tried to go to a couple websites, but they are all in Italian, so I am not sure how to go about booking anything. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • 8 Oct 2009 Noah&Lauren said

Default_avatar

Hey there,

Thank you so much for responding—I never get any responses, so I was excited to see your post!

Did you book anything else for your trip? I feel like we are going into this so blindly, and our travel agent at AAA hasn’t helped us out much. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 Oct 2009 ArrylT said

ArrylT

I am not certain how busy Florence & Rome are in Dec/January compared to late September … however I was in Florence & Rome a little over a week ago.

The Accademia was free the day I went, and there was NO line. I walked right in around 3:30pm on Sunday Sept 27th. No need to reserve tickets. However there is a museum really close by called the San Marco Museum (less than 2 blocks) where you can reserve a time for the Accademia – cost is 4 Euros I believe.

I visited the Vatican Museum on Tuesday the 29th a little after lunch (around 1pm) and again there was no real line to buy tickets. It actually took longer to find where to buy tickets than it did to get tickets.

Based on my impressions from guide books I was expecting wait times of at least 30-45min at both locations and was very pleasantly surprised to say the least.

There was however a long line to access St Peters Basilica, which can be avoided if you take the right exit door from the Sistine Chapel (which technically is for groups only).

Anyways I am not disputing the need at times to reserve for museums & sites in Europe – especially at peak tourist times – but if you go at the right time of year with a little luck you should be able to breeze right in without having made prior reservations.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion