Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to see and do in Orlando?....Parks etc

27 Sep 2007 Miss Jane asked

Miss Jane
Hey Guys
I'm heading off on a Grand Southern tour in January and we are spending 2 or 3 days in Orlando.
I'm just kinda wondering what there is to do there.

I know they have Disneyworld but are there other areas of interest? Is it close to the beach? or how far away is it?

If some people could give a really brief run down on each park at Disneyworld...what there is to see, how long it would take at each park, and what is your favourite one and why that would be awesome....just so I have a few ideas to think about before I get there

Thanks Smiler
  • 27 Sep 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

It’s quite a distance from the beach, I think at least an hour. There is Disney World which is 4 different parks, a shopping area and a night club area. Universal which has 2 parks shopping and clubs. Sea World too. Further away, maybe an hour is Cape Canaveral, which last I heard had tours.

• 1 Oct 2007 trashywilma said

Default_avatar

What hotel is used in Orlando?

• 3 Oct 2007 princess19 said

Default_avatar

FInally a question i can answer being the FLorida expert =)

The beach- best of luck to you. Its quite far and unless youre renting a car i doubt you will make it there.

However theres tons of other things to do in Orlando ( and my opinions on all of them):

There are 4 disney parks, plus Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Ive never been to either but ive heard Blizzard beach is the best. These are water parks on Disney property.

The 4 Disney parks are :

Magic Kingdom- a MUST do if you only have time to go to one of them. THis is the happiest place on earth. Ive been there a thousand times and i love every moment of every trip. This park will take a dayy by its self.

Epcot- another fun park. Educationally themed but they have some cool rides there ( test track, soarin, etc). They also have a world pavillion where they have replicas of several countries and some of them even have rides ( Norway is the best by far). This park can be crammed into a half a day but i wouldnt recomment it.

MGM- suposedly theyre reanaming this one =*( not that many rides but they have are the best disney rides. Tower of terror and The aerosmith coaster are two of the best rides ive ever been on. THis park can theoretically b done in half a day.

Animal Kingdom- eehh.. not that impressed. The everest coaster was a dissappointment. Unless you have an interest in seeing animals id say skip this one . I did the whole park in 3 hours..

They also have downtown disney which is pretty cool. Its a strip of bars, resturants and shops. They also have Pleasure Island which is an island of clubs. PI isnt the best ( well the last time i went i wasnt 21 so i couldnt even get into half the places…) but DOwntown Disney is a fun disney experience.

On the other side of town is Universal. There are 2 parks-

Islands of Adventure- AWESOME PARK!!! tons o f cool ride and theyre all grown up. No magic here. They have rides from Dr Seuss, Jurassic Park, Popeye, etc. Roller Coasters, slower rides and water rides.

Universal Studios- last time i went it sucked. All the good rides are gone and what they replaced them with is medicore.

Universal also has City Walk which is a strip of bars, clubs, etc simial to downtown disney. THis strip connects the 2 parks.

Theres so much else to do in Orlando , but its not a Public transporation friendly city. As i found out the hard way “Orlando” can take 45 minsor so by car on the highway to make it from one place to another. I guess its going to depends on where you are staying and what the transportation arrangements are. Downtown orlando is a fun night atmosphere with lots of cool bars, but its not next door to Disney. Disney is actually closer to Kissimmee which is south of Orlando.

Theres also Sea World but i havent been there is 20 years so i wouldnt know much.

Cape Canaveral is roughly an hour or so away. They do tours from Orlando to Cape Canaveral, but do you really want to spend your free day on a bus? I will have to admit the rockets there are pretty cool. They also have museums and shows there too. Check your tour though.. you may be going here already.

Warning: theme park prices are INSANE!!!!!!! last time i checked both Disney and Unviersal were roughly $75 USD for a one day one park admission. My personal advice would be to go to the Magic Kingdon because its a must do in your life, and my second choice would be Islands of Adventure.

If you have any more questions ask away =)

• 8 Dec 2007 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Hiya!On the GS you only actually spend 2 full days in Orlando so my advice is spend a day at one of the many theme parts(contiki do a drop off and pick up at universal studio’s) and spend another day checking out the fashion outlets(about a $35 cab ride) Both are def worth checking out.There isnt a lot to do in orlando other than this and its way too far from the beach!There is an awesome place next to the contiki hotel called’Old Town’ which is full of bars/shops/rides and loads to keep you busy!

Hope this helps!

If anyone needs advice on the GS or other contiki stuff email me at mysterygirl01@hotmail.com.

Cheers

Lisa

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion