Community_discussions_small  

Comment

European Magic Questions

29 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario
Hey Guys

I just got back from this tour last week, and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has. This was my second Contiki and I went solo this time - it was a fantastic tour!
  • 29 Jul 2009 Jesus said

Jesus

so how was it? how were the people in your group?

• 29 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

The trip was fantastic – I actually preferred this tour over London/Paris (the one I did before) because even though there was a lot of bus time, it gave us time to catch up between cities (catch up on sleep that is)…but we also got to see and do a lot in a short amount of time.

There was a good mix of people on both ends of the age group and everyone got along really well. I was really sad to see it end, I wish it had’ve been longer.

• 14 Aug 2009 Lauren said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    just wondering if the tour has a stopover in Austria on the way from Munich to Venice?

• 14 Aug 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Yes, we did stop in Innsbruck, Austria for a short time. About 90 minutes or so. It was beautiful! Enough time to check out the old town square, and hit up Swarovski for the girls…and grab a snack.

• 15 Aug 2009 Lauren said

Default_avatar

Excellent, thats perfect. thanks leanne.
    I just thought of something else, do you have many nights where you get really dressed up before you go out? Should I bring dresses and heels to go out at night for those occassions or just bring jeans and a few nice tops?
    thanks

• 16 Aug 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I would suggest jeans or black pants and some nice tops. Some people did wear dresses, but it wasn’t absolutely necessary. Even for Moulin Rouge, I wore dress pants and a nice top…I thought that was easier then bringing a bunch of dresses and different shoes to match.

I guess it’s what you’re comfortable and what you have room for. But every place we went, pants were acceptable.

• 21 Aug 2009 Explorer1142891 said

Default_avatar

hi Leanne,
    Did you buy any souvenirs and stuff like beersteins or anything? Is there someway to ship these instead of having to lug them around?

Thanks,
    - Prash

• 27 Aug 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Prash

When we went to St.Goar, we did buy beer steins, and the store offered to ship them home for us. It was a cheaper deal for shipping if there were more than one shipped at the same time (I think 2-4). I packed mine in my suitcase though and it was fine. They pack them tightly in boxes, so it was secure.

In St.Goar we also did the wine tasting and I purchased a bottle. Our tour manager kept them under the bus for us until the last day. I also packed that in my suitcase on the way home and it was fine. I wrapped it in a lot of clothes though. Pretty much anything can be stored in the bottom of the bus for you. Might be good to bring a separate bag if you do want to do this. But for the most part I kept everything in my suitcase.

• 31 Aug 2009 Diane said

Diane

Hi Leanne,

In general, what time do you arrive at the next city? Where was the “shortest” stay? Did you feel rushed at all in any of the places?

Thanks!
    Diane

• 1 Sep 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Diane

In general, the tour is a lot of places in a short amount of time so it does feel a little rushed, but with the optionals you get to see the best of everything. If you leave in the morning for the next city (most days were like this) then you’d arrive mid to late afternoon in the next city, depending on how far away they were. Then we’d spend a bit of time the next morning in that city before setting off again.

I really wish we had’ve gotten more time in Switzerland, but it was raining when we arrived so we didn’t get to do the mountain or lake cruise. I added on an extra day in Paris so that helped. If this is your first time in London I’d also suggest adding an extra day before the tour starts (you can book an extra night at the same hotel Contiki uses). There’s a ton to see in London.

Otherwise the tour was a nice sampling of places and has helped me decide where I want to go back to. The solid day in Venice was definitely enough (it’s an overwhelming city). But the trip was great! I’d do it again!

• 1 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Hey Leanne,

thanks for answering my questions so quickly. I was trying to decide if this would be the tour for me. I like it because the time frame works out, and I’ve wanted to go to London and Switzerland. I want to see a lot in a short time period and determine if I want to go back to any of these places. I’ve been to Paris and Venice before, so those don’t quite matter as much. I was looking at Amsterdam and Germany as bonuses, but I was really excited for Switzerland….was planning to do an extra day in London beforehand.

It’s good to hear what the tour is really like from someone who has been on it. The descriptions don’t do it justice =) Did you meet anyone on here beforehand?

• 1 Sep 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Diane – you’re in the same position I was. The time frame of this tour was right, I liked that it went to so many places, and I was especially excited to see Switzerland (the main reason I picked this tour). And I’d been to London and Paris before.

I think the main reason why I wished we had more time in Switzerland is because that’s what I was most looking forward to and it rained, so I felt like it wasn’t enough time there (although a full vacation there wouldn’t be enough – it’s so beautiful). London has a ton to see, but luckily it’s small and easy to get around quickly with the Tube. You’ll be glad for the extra day there.

I met a few people on the board beforehand and we met up at the Contiki basement and did some sightseeing in London before the tour started. The Contiki basement also offers reduced admission into a lot of London attractions, so be sure to go there first before you go sightseeing for the day.

• 1 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Yea, I’m torn because I want to see things, and I’m wondering if there is enough time in the places I haven’t been. When the itinerary says, see (insert place here) did you see it, go inside it, or was it like a drive by viewing and if you weren’t ready with your camera you didn’t get it?

I want to see the important sights while I’m there, but it’d be nice to have a good time at night as well.

• 2 Sep 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

With anything that’s suggested in the itinerary, you do get free time to see that on your own. You do get a few free hours in each city to do your own thing for the most part. Is there anything specifically that you want to see or want time to see?

In Amsterdam we had the morning free. There isn’t really anything in St.Goar aside from the optionals and a bit of shopping which we were allowed to do so that was enough. Munich was the bike riding tour with stops along the route to take pictures and see things. Venice was a full free, exhausting day. In Lucerne we had the evening free, and got to do a bit of shopping and sightseeing in between raindrops. Then in Paris there’s about one and a half free days. Also, if you choose not to do an optional then that gives you free time as well. It is a whirlwind tour, but you see a lot in a small amount of time.

Hope that helps. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 2 Sep 2009 Miami_Girl said

Default_avatar

Thank you Leanne for taking the time to answer all of our questions and for your helpful answers!

My question is related to the sightseeing timeline as we arrive to a destination city. I understand that you are on the bus for must of the day but once you arrive to the city, is it straight off the bus to sightsee that afternoon or do you go back to the hotel and then go out?

I know they are shallow questions, but even on a tour I want to look my best, plus they will be my first pictures in Europe so I cannot be looking all raggedy! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    I just wanted to be prepared; if we are dropped off straight from the bus without time to change, I would have to rethink my plans regarding sweat pants and bedroom slippers for the rides on the bus!

What about getting ready for dinner and the nightlife? When does the getting ready-time take place? I assume people go out to dinner as a group and stay out enjoying the city at night. Is this a correct assumption?

I have read that people tend to just go back to the hotel and stay at the hotel bar without really going out there to mingle with locals. Did this occur in your tour? Or were people more willing to venture out to cool night spots?

Thank you so much for your answers in advance. I know is a lot of questions at once!

• 4 Sep 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Girls

As for the time in each city after arriving, I’m pretty sure for each city that we stopped by the hotel first to drop off our bags. I believe there was only once where we didn’t, but you’re told ahead of time whether or not you’ll be stopping. Also there’s breaks along the highway where you stop at rest stations too.

Almost always, we’d make our way back to the hotel to get ready to go out at night. Sometimes the dinners would be with the group and sometimes we’d venture out on our own in groups. There were some nights were people just drank in the hotel bar, like St.Goar cause it’s such a small town. But mostly we’d go out to other places.

Diane, for Amsterdam you’ll for sure be able to see Anne Franks house. Our bus driver dropped us off there in the morning. I don’t think anyone had time to visit the Heineken museum (I don’t recall anyone going there). There’s a bit of a wait at the Anne Frank house but I heard the line keeps moving which is good (maybe 45min to an hour).

In St.Goar I did the wine tasting which was really fun. If you do the optionals it takes up your spare time in St.Goar, but there really isn’t anything to do there aside from the optionals so it’s worth it. Lucerne doesn’t have a lot of free time. You have the afternoon/evening that you arrive, then you leave the next morning for Paris. If you didn’t do the options you may be able to see Mt. Pilatus on your own. Your tour manager will most likely be able to tell you for sure if you can. Just try to get the info you’ll need to go and they’ll help you figure out the best way to get there and if you’ll have enough time.

• 25 Sep 2009 Diane said

Diane

Hey,

I have one simple question….has anyone taken the coach back to London from Paris on the last day? What time does that coach leave Paris?

Thanks again for all the great info!

• 18 Oct 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

A few people did on our trip. The coach left in the morning, maybe about 10am.

• 22 Oct 2009 Kell said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Diane:
    Hey,

I have one simple question….has anyone taken the coach back to London from Paris on the last day? What time does that coach leave Paris?

I did the Magic tour in August and the coach left the hotel at 8am. We dropped a group off at the airport and then made it back to London around 3-4pm. If I remember correctly we were trying to make a specific ferry time and also needed to allow time to go through customs.

• 21 Nov 2009 AznGrl said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tash:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kell:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Diane:
    Hey,

I did the Magic tour in August and the coach left the hotel at 8am. We dropped a group off at the airport and then made it back to London around 3-4pm. If I remember correctly we were trying to make a specific ferry time and also needed to allow time to go through customs.

I did the European Magic tour in August also had an awesome time so much fun,i went back to London on the bus but most of the people had left from Pairs but the bus left at around 8am and we took people to the airport before heading back to London.

The bus ride may be long but I wish I had been on that bus. It is the last time you see your remaining tripmates either for a long time, or sadly, forever. Go back to London and spend some time sightseeing there so that you can get over your tour and help to alleviate some post-vacation depression.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion