Community_discussions_small  

Question

January 6th-18th 2010 - Anyone??

31 May 2009 Elle-D asked

Default_avatar
Hey guys! Anyone going on this Contiki? I'm going by myself and am a bit nervous - ok a lot nervous!! Would be great to get an idea of who's going to be nervous with me!

Drop a line and say hello!

Cheers,

El Cool
  • 5 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

Hi Sam, Luke & Renee,

Great that more people have joined the forum! Where is everyone staying in london before the tour departs? My fiance (cookie23) and I are looking forward to meeting you guys! We should have pre-tour drinks somewhere! Great to see another couple on the tour! Have you guys travelled before? at least you’ll add a little diversity, otherwise we’re all from aus!

• 8 Nov 2009 Sam said

Default_avatar

Hey guys and gal,
    I’m staying at the Royal London in a female triple share before and after my trip. This is my first trip outside Australia, through I have travel a fair few places in Australia.

Sam Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Nov 2009 Elle-D said

Default_avatar

Hey all! I am starting to get REALLY REALLY excited about all this!
    Just booked my accom for before our trip – i have had a hostel called “Teh generator” recommended to my by a mate who travels all the time. 17GBP a night! Cheap as chips, and it looks really fun and with a good night life. Only a 6 minute walk to the Contiki place too!
    Hopefully we can all meet up at a pub or something the night before? I dunno how we’ll organise that tho! Maybe if we met at contiki basement or something…

Anyway, am counting down the minutes. Im leaving Oz on Dec 15th! so cant wait. Am also up to do bout 2 months extra traveling after the contiki if anyone would care to join me!

Talk soon, and welcome to our littel forum newbies!

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    El

• 11 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

Hey i reckon after we have our pre-tour meeting the night before (5th) we go out for a bit once we are all in the one place Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> then we can exchange numbers etc so we can keep in contact on tour and after Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Nov 2009 Jac said

Jac

I’m up for drinks, should be fun Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Can anyone tell me if we get an information pack or anything in the mail about our tour at some stage? My friend booked us both in through a travel agent and all I have is a receipt. I have no details or info or anything…

• 11 Nov 2009 Elle-D said

Default_avatar

Hi jac,
    I booked mine through a travel agent too. there should be a pack that goes to them 8 weeks before you leave the COUNTRY – not the tour, the country.

So maybe give them a call? I havent picked mine up yet so im not sure what it says!

Janelle, is there a Contiki organised pre-tour meeting the night before is there? Where at? How do you know?! Or is that in your pack that i really need to go and collect…

• 13 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

hey i read on the website that there is always a pretour meeting the night before a tour leaves, usually at the contiki basement around 6pm or something. i havent got my documents yet, my travel agent said she would contact me when she recieves them but its 6 weeks before i leave the country so if the 8 weeks thing is true i should call her back. If anyone gets their’s first let us know xx

• 13 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

i think i read it in a contikipedia article

• 15 Nov 2009 Matt R said

Default_avatar

Hi Elle, Sam, Janelle, Ali, Jac, Nicole, Cookie, Luke and Renee!

My name is Matt from Portland, Oregon in the U.S. It sounds like Jac lives the closest to me so far.

My buddy Mike from New York is also coming, he had heard about Contiki and set up the trip a couple months ago.

I am sure he’ll be logging on in the next day or so.

How cool is it that we’ll be in Europe right after Christmas? Maybe it will help get me back in the spirit compared to that last couple years.

I’m a bit of a travel newbie, last Feb. was my first time out of the country. Mike and I went to Buenos Aires.

I mentioned this trip at a recent birthday party and one of the people there said he had been on 3 Contiki trips already!

I’m excited we get to talk a little before the trip too.

• 15 Nov 2009 Elle-D said

Default_avatar

YAY! Welcome Matt (and Mike).
    Glad you guys are coming to even out the gender scores a little.
    All very exciting.
    And yes it IS going to be awesome beign in Europe around Christmas – my trip actually begins on the 15th of Dec – im going to Boston and NY with a mate of mine before spending xmas in London with her family! Cannot wait! Such a new exciting adventure!
    Anyway, glad to see we are all contiki excited nerds together on our little forum – looking forward to meeting you guys!

Talk soon!

PS: Jac and Jenelle – My Contiki things STILL havent come into the travel agent and i leave in 4 weeks (ARGH! SO SOON) so dont worry you guys who havent got yours either – im sure they are coming! My travel agent is phoning them this arvo – i’ll let u know what i scope out…

• 15 Nov 2009 Matt R said

Default_avatar

Elle, congratulations.
    That is an awesome way to kick off your vacation.
    Boston is our old stomping grounds, you’ll enjoy it there.
    You have less than a month to wait now!

A friend warned me not to feel disheartened when we met all you Europeans on the tour taking months off instead of our measly American 14 days. haha.

• 16 Nov 2009 Elle-D said

Default_avatar

Europeans? We are almost all Aussies on here!
    And yes, im lucky to be taking months off. Im at the end of a 6 year stint at uni. So have quit my jobs, am moving out of my house and going exploring! Finally!

and yep! 29 sleeps for me! Woo! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Also Jac and Jenelle (and anyone else who is interested ) my travelagent informs me that they send docs 21 days before u leave country. THATS NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Anyway, stress not.

• 16 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

Hey Matt and Mike, welcome!! Great there’s more than just aussies (and the lovely new zealand couple of course!) Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> YAY, Cookie’s real name is Sam btw and he’s 21.

Thanks for the info Elle! you seem on top of the document thing so you’re gonna be my go to LOL. I’ll let you know if i hear anything about it as well Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

So excited people!!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 16 Nov 2009 Matt R said

Default_avatar

Yep, sorry Elle…Aussies.

You might have mentioned it earlier but what was your study at the uni? haha. I have to get caught up in some of the Australian slang before this trip.

• 17 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

hey matt, google aussie slang… should be fairly interesting Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> or you could just listen to all of us bogans talking on tour lol (u mite wanna look that up Razzer<!--graemlin::p--> )

• 17 Nov 2009 Elle-D said

Default_avatar

Way to make me own up to my nerdyness on the forum matt…

At uni i… did a psycholgy degree… then decided i wanted to teach so did an Arts degree and majored in English Literature, and then a teaching diploma. Yep. Geekazoid…
    I like to think im cool tho.. haha.
    Janelle is a geek too tho……

How bout you? What do you do?

• 18 Nov 2009 cookie23 said

cookie23

Hi Matt and Mike good to see a couple more blokes on the tour and trust me by the time the tour is over you will be fluent in aussie slang looking forward to pre-drinks in london b4 the tour

Catch.

• 19 Nov 2009 Matt R said

Default_avatar

Hi Elle.

I work in finance with Bank of America, got my start in Boston after college…oops…uni.

I got a business degree after a couple years of hoping I could be an architect.
    My instructors were gracious enough to tell me that probably wouldn’t work out. haha.

I’m debating now about applying to Physical Therapy school.

Hey Sam, yeah looking forward to that time in London as well.

• 21 Nov 2009 Lauren said

Default_avatar

Hi all,

My name is Lauren. Me and my friend Cassandra are joining the tour! We are both Adelaide girls. I’ve just finished my third year of psychology and am really looking forward to seeing a bit more of the world before I start hons next year. This may be a bit of a wierd question but are you guys buying thermals to wear over there? Lots of people have said that its going to be FREEZING and that thermals are an essential. Looking forward to meeting you all in person soon!

• 22 Nov 2009 lil_jolly13 said

lil_jolly13

Hi Lauren & Cassandra! Welcome! im bringing a couple of thick socks and thermal singlets but… it does tend to get hot inside even though its freezing outside coz everyone blasts the heating, in shops and houses, especially in london if your staying there beforehand! i dress in layers, last time i went i was wearing a t shirt inside! when do you leave aus?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.