Community_discussions_small  

Question

Thai Airways - Yay or Nay ????

26 Oct 2007 Megan0870 asked

Default_avatar
Hi guys,

Just in the processes of booking a trip with contiki next year and on the way back were staying in Phuket for 5 nights. 2 Travel agents have suggested fly Thai airways coz it's cheaper. But i would rather fly singapore airlines coz there awesome. But it is going to cost alot more to flight Sinapore airlines.

My question is; are Thai airways any good?

I've heard some mix reviews, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Thanks

Megan

Smiler Smiler
  • 27 Oct 2007 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hi Megan
    Just thought I’d add something. I recently flew with Thai Airlines on a long haul flight so my info is pretty current.
    I flew 4 8+ hours flights with them and although they do have really very lovely staff and decent seats I found that travelling such long distances without a tv screen to be insane. I think most people would find it difficult to sleep for 8 hours so I was going out of my brain with boredem.

My travel agent and Thai Air also told me that only a very small number of their aircrafts are fitted with personal tv screens.

I am also allergic to chilli and found it difficult get enough to eat but if you don’t have a problem with spicy food this would be fine.

That said it really depends how much your are saving by flying with them. It can make a big difference to have an extra couple of hundred dollars when in Europe. It might be worth the sacrifie. If you do decide to fly with them just be prepared with books, games, crossword magazines etc. You never know u may get one of those very few upgraded aircrafts but its really 50/50.

Hope this helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 27 Oct 2007 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

p.s Ask what is available with Malaysian Airlines. I flew to Europe with them and they were fantastic. They had everything I needed. I’ve also hard that Singapore, Air NZ, Cathay Pacific, and Emirates are fantastic

• 1 Nov 2007 davo said

Default_avatar

Hi

I flew with Thai in Feb from bris to bangkok then around thailand and back. I gotta say I was disappointed. On the trip over service was almost non existant. Passengers had to go down the back of the plane to get their own drinks etc. Food wasn’t that great and staff not that friendly. One of the flights in Thailand, on landing part of the roof fell down. But saying that they got me everywhere and if it’s saving you money go for it, but nothing beats singapore airlines!

• 1 Nov 2007 Talia said

Default_avatar

I flew from Auckland to Bangkok with Thai this August and thought the airline was great. I had my own entertainment system, wide variety of food and the staff were really nice. Also flew Thai out to Phuket, only an hour flight so no personal screens but food and drink were constantly on offer.
    I’ve also flown Singapore Airlines long haul to Europe a few times and thought they were great…basically my experiences with both airlines were very similar and I recommend both of them.
    However, I found Bangkok airport a little less user friendly as they had no transit lounge (i.e. I had to go out and then recheck back in) no biggie, also Singapore has shower, gym facilities which I could not find in Bangkok (these are great when on long haul)
    Another big draw card for both of these airliners is the fact they are members of the Star Alliance so you get good air points that you can use in conjunction with several different airlines.

If unsure I would do what Miss Janeo said and shop around, I have heard good things about Malaysian and Cathy Pacific.

Good luck!

• 2 Dec 2007 Sarah4129 said

Sarah4129
    quote:
    Originally posted by Megan0870:
    Hi guys,

Just in the processes of booking a trip with contiki next year and on the way back were staying in Phuket for 5 nights. 2 Travel agents have suggested fly Thai airways coz it’s cheaper. But i would rather fly singapore airlines coz there awesome. But it is going to cost alot more to flight Sinapore airlines.

My question is; are Thai airways any good?

I’ve heard some mix reviews, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Thanks

Megan

Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Hi
    I flew Thai Airways from BNE to London, via Bangkok. I can tell you the service is great and the food is even better. They are great value and I highly recommend them.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.